• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2018 11:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
46 upvotes

Sub $800 lease, what to choose???

EDIT: I understand that at this time of year, it can be difficult to hear about other people succeeding in life, and having "first world problems," so maybe it was ignorance on my part for even starting this thread. That all said, it wasn't with malicious intent, and I'm truly sorry if I offended some of you. Truth be told, I didn't realize $800 a month was such a lofty amount, but apparently, it is. Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. I won't be commenting any more.

So I am looking at leasing a vehicle this coming year and would like some input from anyone willing to offer. Yes, yes, we all have different needs and wants, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks. To give a little background info: I don't "need" any specific type of vehicle. I could be just as happy driving a pickup or a 2 seat sports car. In fact, I have owned all sorts of vehicles in the past: pickup, Jeep, regular 4 door Japanese commuter, muscle car, hot hatch, luxury, etc.

The only caveat is that I would like to stay under $800 a month, taxes in (not for tax purposes, just a comfortable number). Lease term, NO LONGER than 36 months. In fact, I would prefer even less but it seems that 36 months for most makers is the minimum (most, not all). And news to me, used cars can be leased as well???? So if that is truly the case, new or used is fine.

If you were me, what would YOU buy??? Thanks!

BTW, this is meant to be a fun post. I have no brand loyalty (I don't own shares in any car manufacturer, and you won't hurt my feelings if you say brand XYZ sucks). I'm just genuinely curious as to what other people would buy, if they were in my shoes. And yes, I am indeed looking to lease, so I will take peoples opinions into account.

EDIT: made some updates based on a question someone had....

EDIT: maybe I should have said, Sub $500 lease? I can't understand the hate and contempt people feel for complete strangers. Honestly people, life is short. Live a little and have fun. Merry Christmas!
Last edited by TheKiwiCornelius on Dec 19th, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fortune favours the bold...
58 replies
Apr 15, 2014
705 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto, ON
With that kind of budget you can get 3 beige corollas.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6925 posts
2871 upvotes
If you're looking for a sub $800 /month lease because you want to deduct it for tax, note that $800/mo is only one of the two limits that apply to the amount of vehicle leasing expenses you can deduct - the other is a formula that pro-rates the lease expenses by the FMV of your vehicle.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
46 upvotes
CardinalComb wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:33 pm
With that kind of budget you can get 3 beige corollas.
I could, but I only need one. Thanks for your input!
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
46 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:40 pm
If you're looking for a sub $800 /month lease because you want to deduct it for tax, note that $800/mo is only one of the two limits that apply to the amount of vehicle leasing expenses you can deduct - the other is a formula that pro-rates the lease expenses by the FMV of your vehicle.
It's not for tax purposes. It's just a number I am comfortable paying for now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6925 posts
2871 upvotes
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:42 pm
It's not for tax purposes. It's just a number I am comfortable paying for now.
Well then, it sounds like from your list the only type of car you're missing is a station wagon (and minivan). How about the all-new Volvo V60?
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
46 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:46 pm
Well then, it sounds like from your list the only type of car you're missing is a station wagon (and minivan). How about the all-new Volvo V60?
That isn't a list of cars that I am "looking" to buy. I don't have a bucket list of cars that I must purchase over my lifetime.

That Volvo is pretty sweet though, I have to say....any idea what the monthly lease payments are?
Mar 27, 2012
294 posts
122 upvotes
I would say the Mercedes GLC or the new BMW X3.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11473 posts
4819 upvotes
Toronto
TheKiwiCornelius wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 1:52 pm
That isn't a list of cars that I am "looking" to buy. I don't have a bucket list of cars that I must purchase over my lifetime.

That Volvo is pretty sweet though, I have to say....any idea what the monthly lease payments are?
https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/build/suv

Happy calculating.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24478 posts
9404 upvotes
Toronto
For you, I pick a 2018 Mercedes Metris Passenger Van ... loaded - MSRP $46,700

24 months lease
$0 down
all fees rolled into payment

Projected monthly - $770 OTR (using 13% taxes included)
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
46 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 2:12 pm
For you, I pick a 2018 Mercedes Metris Passenger Van ... loaded - MSRP $46,700

24 months lease
$0 down
all fees rolled into payment

Projected monthly - $770 OTR (using 13% taxes included)
Damn, they make and sell such a vehicle in North America?? Yikes....
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2470 posts
1760 upvotes
why not just hop on leasebusters????
Smash that like button!