• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 11:14 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
74 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga - ON

(sub) flooring options

I am in the process of reno'ing my basement.
I have bare concrete floor right now, and it's not perfectly level - few cracks here and there etc.

the framing is all up, but no insulation or drywall yet.

What are my options for the flooring? and when should I start on the subfloor? I plan to have the luxury vinyl planks as the finished surface
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
Is it just perimeter wall framing up? Is the framing properly insulated from the concrete floor? I would have thought to do the full subfloor first, then frame walls on top of that.

Loads of options for subfloor. Cracks are less an issue than 'not perfectly level'. What does that mean? Large 1" drops from area to area? Total of 1" slope from one end of the basement to the other?

Your basement never gets wet, right? You've had the house for a few years and it's perfectly dry?
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
74 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
It did get 12 months ago. it had minor flooding due to outside drainage being blocked so after a rainstorm water came in through the window.

This is the reason for the reno in the first place. But it's been perfectly dry for 12 months (drainage problems were fixed)
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
74 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
framing is just perimeter and one central partition. There is a moisture barrier between concrete and base plates
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1005 posts
478 upvotes
GTA
Dricore or something similar (supply your own membrane and OSB)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
+1

If the floor is flat - i.e. while not necessarily perfectly level, it is smooth from one end to the other, get dricore panels and start laying them down.

Pull permits for the electrical etc - not sure what you need for simple interior framing, but for electrical, plumbing etc. get your permits and inspections done.

Then drywall etc, then flooring last. Get all your taping, mudding, paint done, then flooring, then final trim like door casement and baseboards etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10802 posts
5139 upvotes
Brampton
How much height do you have?
If you have a lot. I'd just get 1 or 2" XPS and lay OSB on top.
If you don't you can look at using Delta-FL, DMX OneStep and OSB on top.

Dri-core is pricey (The other options are not much cheaper but it can be faster). Here's something to consider. You may not have the room to bring down large sheets of OSB and or Membrane rolls. So Dri-core can make that easier.

If you Can easily bring it down It'll be super fast to do with OSB sheets. Dri-core is 2'x2' that takes time to layout square. With sheets of OSB and membrane you're covering 4'x8' very quickly.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
74 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
thanks. I can get 4x8 drywall sheets down there relatively easily