Automotive

Subaru 2015 Forester or other compact SUVs?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2014 12:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1684 posts
291 upvotes
Going to have a look and test drive a Forester this week.

For those interested, here is a real-owner blog on Mazda-CX5. Very positive reviews on handling and drive-ability but little problems/annoyances that have turned some owners off. Worth reading if you are considering one:
http://www.winstonmoy.com/2013/10/every ... azda-cx-5/
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
83 upvotes
sircool wrote: how does the 2015 Outback compared to 2015 Forester? In terms of reliability, features, CTV / oil consumption or any other known issue?
The price difference is insignificant. Also the EyeSight (tech pack) is necessary?
Forester is made in Japan? Outback is made in Mexico? Or Ontario?
Outback is built in Indiana, same plant as Legacy. This plant also assembles Toyota Camry's under license as well, so the quality control is obviously there.

The Outback is a major upgrade in terms of refinement and interior comfort compared to Forester. Better quality materials, more comfortable ride, more soundproofing, better infotainment, you name it. The Forester has always slotted below the Outback in Subaru's lineup. It is a sales strategy that works; in the U.S. the two models were almost evenly split in sales while in price-sensitive Canada the Forester outsells the Outback nearly 2:1.

One thing to note that you probably will have better luck getting any discount on the Outback, even if it is the new gen version. Subaru is not having any trouble moving the Forester as they sell practically every Forester they bring to North America, with year after year of record sales growth. Subaru dealerships just can't keep the Forester in stock - either here or in the USA. Good luck securing any discount on the Forester.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
crustydragon wrote: I know the Rogue has the option for 3rd-row seating but reviews say that it's cramped and impractical.
We didn't try to sit in them when we test-drove the Rogue, but were pretty sure there'd be no chance of us getting in there :) . I believe you also lose the spare tire if you buy the version with the third row of seats, as they fold down into the space where the spare tire would go. To us, it really seemed like a sales gimmick, but possibly useful if you have small kids.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
ThePointblank wrote: Subaru is not having any trouble moving the Forester as they sell practically every Forester they bring to North America, with year after year of record sales growth. Subaru dealerships just can't keep the Forester in stock - either here or in the USA. Good luck securing any discount on the Forester.
I was surprised to find our local dealer still has a few 2014s in stock. But availability is something to consider; Honda, for example, have big cash discounts for the 2014 CR-V at the moment, while Subaru have none on the 2015 Forester because they're new and selling too well.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
crustydragon wrote: Going to have a look and test drive a Forester this week.
Try to drive the XT as well as the 2.5. The 2.5 is plenty fast enough for town driving, but the XT is a lot of fun, and better for passing on the highway.

Plus, it has no record of oil consumption, though they're still getting the last bugs out of the ECU programming, and there's some question about fuel dilution of the oil when making short trips in cold weather; some XT owners are seeing significant amount of fuel in their oil if their driving doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up, but it doesn't appear to be causing undue wear.

I would get it in preference to the 2.5, but my girlfriend has never driven a turbocharged car before and couldn't handle it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
I'd vote for the Forester too.

Our 2010 has been totally problem free since purchase. The only thing we've done in 4 years is fluid and filter changes.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1810 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, I would go w/ a Forester as well...

its the #1, and only 1 of the only 2 vehicle that passed the "Safety ratings - Insurance Institute for Highway Safety"
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
Have you checked out the vw tiguan or Mitsubishi outlander?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
blind56 wrote: Forester XT would like to have a word with you.
The FXT is faster in a straight line for sure with its turbocharged engine but I personally found the CX-5 to have nimbler handling and more engaging to drive.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
+1 for Forester

As mentioned above, excessive oil consumption in early FB engines should be fixed with the revised piston rings in vehicles built after May 2013.

Also have a look at 2014 and 2015 Outbacks. 2015 OB is definitely a nice upgrade. I would not buy the first model year though... There are sweet deals on 2014 OB right now, and the car is very very good too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
crustydragon wrote: Thank you for all the insightful feedback and @izzyzz for the link to the Subaru Forester forum.

@charliebrown, I know the Rogue has the option for 3rd-row seating but reviews say that it's cramped and impractical. I believe it's even more fuel efficient than the Subaru Forester but I am not sure about Nissan's CVT reliability.
movieman wrote: We didn't try to sit in them when we test-drove the Rogue, but were pretty sure there'd be no chance of us getting in there :) . I believe you also lose the spare tire if you buy the version with the third row of seats, as they fold down into the space where the spare tire would go. To us, it really seemed like a sales gimmick, but possibly useful if you have small kids.
We do have younger kids, so it's been useful when we need to go out as a group of 6-7 with guests in town. Like i said earlier, even you if you don't use the 3rd row, the tech package comes with other goodies that are rare in this price range (i.e AroundView monitor)

It's definitely not a day-to-day 7seater, and yes, the tires are run-flats, i.e. no spare tire.

Edmunds has a long-term test running on the Rogue SL -- some pretty detailed comments:
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/rogue/201 ... road-test/
💡😃😂😄
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
2017 posts
717 upvotes
Siberian wrote: +1 for Forester

As mentioned above, excessive oil consumption in early FB engines should be fixed with the revised piston rings in vehicles built after May 2013.

Also have a look at 2014 and 2015 Outbacks. 2015 OB is definitely a nice upgrade. I would not buy the first model year though... There are sweet deals on 2014 OB right now, and the car is very very good too.
Is the 2015 OB complete remodel? I read somewhere it is just some upgrades, no major changes, why it is considered the first model year?
ThePointblank wrote: Outback is built in Indiana, same plant as Legacy. This plant also assembles Toyota Camry's under license as well, so the quality control is obviously there.

The Outback is a major upgrade in terms of refinement and interior comfort compared to Forester. Better quality materials, more comfortable ride, more soundproofing, better infotainment, you name it. The Forester has always slotted below the Outback in Subaru's lineup. It is a sales strategy that works; in the U.S. the two models were almost evenly split in sales while in price-sensitive Canada the Forester outsells the Outback nearly 2:1.

One thing to note that you probably will have better luck getting any discount on the Outback, even if it is the new gen version. Subaru is not having any trouble moving the Forester as they sell practically every Forester they bring to North America, with year after year of record sales growth. Subaru dealerships just can't keep the Forester in stock - either here or in the USA. Good luck securing any discount on the Forester.
so the larger discounts/incentives on 2015 OB probably will offset the price difference from Forester. Why people fighting to get Forester while OB is definitely better...

current promotion in ON on 2015 OB 2.5i: $3186 down, $319+tax for 24 months, 2.9% lease rate, not that bad, any chance to get better deal?
http://ontario.subarudealer.ca/content/ ... d19514.pdf
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
OP check out Toronto Subaru Club and post your question with regards to the Forester. A lot of knowledgable Subie owners can help you out there.

www.toronto-subaru-club.com
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
movieman wrote: It's also worth noting that Subaru sell around 10,000 Foresters a month in North America, so if 20% of owners were really having excessive oil consumption, that would be around 24,000 a year. I'd expect to see a heck of a lot more complaints if that was the case. The total number of North American Forester owners I've found complaining on the Internet is less than a hundred.
You have to remember that it's an informal poll... most owners that don't have any issues, never say a thing. The few, who do have issues, are all over the place being as vocal as they be... Plus, unusual is not defined so you can't say that even those who put unusual mean excessive.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a happy owner of a car that doesn't have an issue.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
sircool wrote: Is the 2015 OB complete remodel? I read somewhere it is just some upgrades, no major changes, why it is considered the first model year?
Yes, it is a new model. Gen4 OB ran from 2010 to 2014, now it's Gen5.
New body, new electronics etc.
2.5 versions have essentially the same drivetrain as 2013-14 Gen4.
3.6 has the same engine as Gen4, paired with heavy duty CVT from Foz XT.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
Did Subaru fix the 'ghost-walking' (back of the car fishtailing on ice when heavily loaded) that some last generation Outback owners complained about? Seemed to be some complex issue with the rear suspension getting out of alignment under load.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
movieman wrote: Did Subaru fix the 'ghost-walking' (back of the car fishtailing on ice when heavily loaded) that some last generation Outback owners complained about? Seemed to be some complex issue with the rear suspension getting out of alignment under load.
Honestly, I don't know. Our 2014 OB handles fine. A small percentage of early Gen4 OB's had steering wheel shaking/pulling issues, but that was fixed in the 2013 model year, I think. Gen4 2.5 CVT had 50/50 weight distribution and 60/40 front-biased torque by default; 3.6 auto is front-heavier with 45/55 rear-biased torque.

Here is another thread with relevant discussion: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... ester.html
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1684 posts
291 upvotes
I test drove both the 2.5i and XT versions of the Forester today. The XT is a lot of fun to drive but I don't think I'll need that much power. The most impressive part for me is the significantly improved visibility compared to the CRV and CX-5 but the centre console radio and even the "upgraded" touch screen system look like something that belongs to a car from a decade ago. Not sure what Subaru was thinking when they redesigned the Forester for 2014.

All 3 CUVs have pros and cons. Perhaps I should go test drive the RAV4?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
crustydragon wrote: The most impressive part for me is the significantly improved visibility compared to the CRV and CX-5 but the centre console radio and even the "upgraded" touch screen system look like something that belongs to a car from a decade ago. Not sure what Subaru was thinking when they redesigned the Forester for 2014.
I suspect they assume that anyone looking for a fancy radio or nav system would be looking for a fancier interior than they can afford to include, and put the money into the drivetrain instead. Also, I think a lot of dedicated Subaru owners just pull out the standard system and install something better, so spending a lot is a waste.
Perhaps I should go test drive the RAV4?
Wouldn't hurt, if you have the time. That's one we didn't test-drive when we went through the CUVs over the last few weeks as a lot of people told us they're not as good as they used to be. Like you, we never found a 'perfect' CUV, but the Forester seemed the best compromise for what we wanted (good visibility, decent ride, reasonable fuel economy, competent off-road capability).
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
83 upvotes
sircool wrote: so the larger discounts/incentives on 2015 OB probably will offset the price difference from Forester. Why people fighting to get Forester while OB is definitely better...

current promotion in ON on 2015 OB 2.5i: $3186 down, $319+tax for 24 months, 2.9% lease rate, not that bad, any chance to get better deal?
http://ontario.subarudealer.ca/content/ ... d19514.pdf
Probably the dealers would be more likely to work out a deal because the Outback doesn't move as fast as the Forester does.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)