• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 9:43 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
177 posts
44 upvotes

Subaru WRX STI

I'm in the market for a sporty type car that I'm going to baby and drive it until it dies.
I feel like I love everything about the car and not sure if I should buy used or new.. as used you have no idea what the owners did to it.

Saying that, are they reliable? I won't be modifying or anything.. I just heard a lot about subaru's engines blowing.
80 replies
Jan 24, 2009
430 posts
84 upvotes
Regina
STI still uses a timing belt, under stock tuning it can be reliable.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4805 posts
3637 upvotes
Montreal
This is definitely one of those cars you want to buy new. Buying used doesn't get you much savings since they hold their value very well. You will need the longest warranty possible because it's a Subaru. Ringland failures still happen and head gaskets are routine maintenance with a Subaru. Tires will be finished after 30,000km and you're gas bill will be through the roof, premium required. They like to heat soak so expect possible turbo issues if you're going to daily it. The EJ257 also likes to throw an occasional rod because they like to play knock knock, knock knock against the block. Other than that it's solid, great car.
Jan 12, 2008
664 posts
188 upvotes
TDot
ottofly wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 9:20 am
This is definitely one of those cars you want to buy new. Buying used doesn't get you much savings since they hold their value very well. You will need the longest warranty possible because it's a Subaru. Ringland failures still happen and head gaskets are routine maintenance with a Subaru. Tires will be finished after 30,000km and you're gas bill will be through the roof, premium required. They like to heat soak so expect possible turbo issues if you're going to daily it. The EJ257 also likes to throw an occasional rod because they like to play knock knock, knock knock against the block. Other than that it's solid, great car.
Wow, that's quite the list of serious issues. It's been in production so long you'd think it would be sorted by now.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1609 posts
570 upvotes
GTA
Subaru and head gasket maintenance go hand in hand.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2515 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
I'd wait for the 2020 update, possibly the FA24 engine.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3454 posts
3230 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:16 am
I'm in the market for a sporty type car that I'm going to baby and drive it until it dies.
I feel like I love everything about the car and not sure if I should buy used or new.. as used you have no idea what the owners did to it.

Saying that, are they reliable? I won't be modifying or anything.. I just heard a lot about subaru's engines blowing.
May want to check your insurance first. STIs are pretty much at the top of the insurance risk scale. Apparently people think they make great lamppole ornaments.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2494 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto
I would also wait for the 2020 update - I most definitely wouldn't buy a new STI at this point in time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8295 posts
6804 upvotes
Oakville
If you want a sporty car get a new Miata or BRZ. If you want power, Mustang GT.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9323 posts
3369 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:16 am

I've found that any 'general' non-car specific forum doesn't have the most recent (or even accurate) information on a specific car. They are generally filled with old news about failures that have long since been addressed being spread by either former owners who was affected by the failure or people who just parrot what they heard years ago but have no direct knowledge of the issue.

If you want to know what's going on with any particular car, go find a dedicated forum to that car or at least the manufacturer as they will have all the current dirt and probably helpful advice rather than just old or inaccurate information.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3454 posts
3230 upvotes
Toronto, ON
craftsman wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 1:52 pm
I've found that any 'general' non-car specific forum doesn't have the most recent (or even accurate) information on a specific car. They are generally filled with old news about failures that have long since been addressed being spread by either former owners who was affected by the failure or people who just parrot what they heard years ago but have no direct knowledge of the issue.

If you want to know what's going on with any particular car, go find a dedicated forum to that car or at least the manufacturer as they will have all the current dirt and probably helpful advice rather than just old or inaccurate information.
I find in any internet forum, there are always people who know what they are talking about, people who pretend to know what they are talking about, and people who just like to bash others whether they know or don't know what they are talking about.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8204 posts
840 upvotes
Mrs drives a '12 sti. We bought it used at 60k. We're at 130k now.

No ringland (seriously who made up this term?). No head gasket issues. There seems to be a gas quality related knocking in 3rd gear at full throttle. Other than that, nothing really besides standard wear and tear.

The older engine isn't great on gas (13.x L/100km with mixed spirited driving) but we haven't had any reliability issues.

The awd works well. It's been a great family vehicle otherwise. We can fit 3 car seats across the back and hockey bag in the trunk.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3212 posts
1660 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 11:06 pm
Mrs drives a '12 sti. We bought it used at 60k. We're at 130k now.

No ringland (seriously who made up this term?). .
Lol. Not a made up term but okay...

FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Jun 21, 2006
673 posts
185 upvotes
Don't forget about the gas money it's roughly $80 for 400kms
But for the power it might be worth it