• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 9:43 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16630 posts
1494 upvotes
Space for rent
Get a Kia bro. you won't have to worry about mechanical issues just being laughed at by girls and guys who think it's trash because it's just a Kia.
Aug 18, 2014
19 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Like you, I wanted an sti and was hoping to keep it until it dies. In 2015, I bought a brand new one (definitely get brand new if you are going to buy one). I've owned it for a short period of time, just over two years.

However, I decided to sell it because this is definitely a car that needs to be babied if you want it to last long. On nasioc, people do say the ringlands issue is mostly caused by modding the car, or not driving the car properly. A common example is when you wot in 6th gear but only going about 2.5k rpm. Also, there is a specific procedure where you can't drive the car "hard" until the engine is fully warmed up. As others posters has mentioned, an expensive expense will be the gas. This engine has been used for over 15 years and for how much performance you get, it is crappy on fuel mileage. I feel there are more options in the market in you want a "performance" vehicle.

That being said, the sti does have, in my opinion, a superior awd system compared to most cars on the road. I haven't driven an Audi but I think it is comparable to their quattro.

I am glad I bought this car, and I won't forget the experience. However, after two years I sold the vehicle. In the market there are better cars in the same category, less cars that needs to be driven a particular way and the gas is horrible on the sti.

I will wait to see what the next gen sti brings.

TL;DR bought sti but sold it because of some concerns
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1252 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
Wait till 2020 or get a WRX.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2478 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
OP - Have you considered the Civic Type R, Focus RS or Golf R?
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 9:20 am
This is definitely one of those cars you want to buy new. Buying used doesn't get you much savings since they hold their value very well. You will need the longest warranty possible because it's a Subaru. Ringland failures still happen and head gaskets are routine maintenance with a Subaru. Tires will be finished after 30,000km and you're gas bill will be through the roof, premium required. They like to heat soak so expect possible turbo issues if you're going to daily it. The EJ257 also likes to throw an occasional rod because they like to play knock knock, knock knock against the block. Other than that it's solid, great car.
Ok, once again, the head gasket issue was not even on the same engine, and was addressed in 2005. The piston ring issue is 99% of the time on modded cars, and the "rod" issue which was a crankshaft bearing was from 2009. Tires shouldn't be finished at 30,000km if you drive like a sane person, I got 80,000km out of the stock RE070 that came on the STi (it was STi not STI back then). There is zero heat soak on a stock STI, well maybe if you live in Death Valley it might come up.. Finally, phew, Subaru is always considered in the top 5 most reliable brands in any survey or article written in the markets they sell cars, so where are you getting this information that they are not reliable?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39382 posts
3589 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 9:57 am
Get a Kia bro. you won't have to worry about mechanical issues just being laughed at by girls and guys who think it's trash because it's just a Kia.
I like korean cars... but that stigma gets me everytime.
But thats okie... after my 2001 Lexus IS300 died @ 415,000km
I bought a 2004 Lexus is300 with 205,000km.
I only drive about 12,000km per year so it should be good for another 15 years hehe.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9282 posts
3352 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nffclsr wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:06 am
Ok, once again, the head gasket issue was not even on the same engine, and was addressed in 2005. The piston ring issue is 99% of the time on modded cars, and the "rod" issue which was a crankshaft bearing was from 2009. Tires shouldn't be finished at 30,000km if you drive like a sane person, I got 80,000km out of the stock RE070 that came on the STi (it was STi not STI back then). There is zero heat soak on a stock STI, well maybe if you live in Death Valley it might come up.. Finally, phew, Subaru is always considered in the top 5 most reliable brands in any survey or article written in the markets they sell cars, so where are you getting this information that they are not reliable?
I've found that facts may not matter to certain people when it comes to cars....
Apr 30, 2013
509 posts
222 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:07 am
I like korean cars... but that stigma gets me everytime.
But thats okie... after my 2001 Lexus IS300 died @ 415,000km
I bought a 2004 Lexus is300 with 205,000km.
I only drive about 12,000km per year so it should be good for another 15 years hehe.
Your story is getting old bra.
Apr 15, 2014
335 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My first subaru was a 2005 impreza. Had 230k km on it and had no issues with it whatsoever. Just did regular maintenance. I now have a 16 wrx but only have about 40k on it. To me it’s a great primary vehicle that can comfortably sit 4 or 5 if needed. The trunk is pretty big too. Sportiness of it is like a bonus, a huge one at at. OP if this is going to be your daily driver for a long time you have made a good choice. If it’s a weekend / second car you may way to look for a smaller 2 door sports car.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9736 posts
1159 upvotes
The EJ25 in the STI has poor fuel economy. The FA20 in the WRX is newer and more efficient.

You should drive both and see. But if you are thinking of getting a used 2017/18 for less, dont bother. They retain crazy value so just get new. Too old, you risk the previous owner modding/beating it. Dont go there unless you are set on a particular version of the car.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4798 posts
3616 upvotes
Montreal
nffclsr wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:06 am
All those issues did exist on previous EJs and other Subarus and it can be debated whether they have been fixed or not. I'm sure owners play their role too.

Recommend OP buys new as he saves very little buying used. Buying new he gets a fresh car with full warranty. These cars are not cheap to fix outside warranty. Buying used also can't tell if car was modded (owner puts back all stock parts) and other known history.

According to Yokohama own specs the OEM tires last 15-20,000 miles UTQG of 240AA. A set of tires is $1200

The car is a gaz guzzler and requires the highest octane you can find so the engine doesn't play knock knock.

As for getting WRX with the new DI engine, I would never trust Subaru with new technology. The BRZ was had umpteen issues when first released. Many Subarus running around with new short blocks. If they are so reliable, why were they forced to extend warranty for 2011-2015 models for oil consumption? They have class actions going on all over, including Quebec.

I also said it's a great car but it should be purchased new. Dunno why the Subaru fan boys are getting all uptight. The owners of 2017 models can come back and post in 2023 if the engine issues have been fixed. Reality is WRX/STI are prone to major failures.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2510 posts
1377 upvotes
Montreal
ottofly wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 9:09 pm
If they are so reliable, why were they forced to extend warranty for 2011-2015 models for oil consumption? They have class actions going on all over, including Quebec.
Oil consumption is on FB engine, not FA (2.0/2.4 turbo), which has no known issue other than intake carbon build up.
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 9:09 pm
All those issues did exist on previous EJs and other Subarus and it can be debated whether they have been fixed or not. I'm sure owners play their role too.

Recommend OP buys new as he saves very little buying used. Buying new he gets a fresh car with full warranty. These cars are not cheap to fix outside warranty. Buying used also can't tell if car was modded (owner puts back all stock parts) and other known history.

According to Yokohama own specs the OEM tires last 15-20,000 miles UTQG of 240AA. A set of tires is $1200

The car is a gaz guzzler and requires the highest octane you can find so the engine doesn't play knock knock.

As for getting WRX with the new DI engine, I would never trust Subaru with new technology. The BRZ was had umpteen issues when first released. Many Subarus running around with new short blocks. If they are so reliable, why were they forced to extend warranty for 2011-2015 models for oil consumption? They have class actions going on all over, including Quebec.

I also said it's a great car but it should be purchased new. Dunno why the Subaru fan boys are getting all uptight. The owners of 2017 models can come back and post in 2023 if the engine issues have been fixed. Reality is WRX/STI are prone to major failures.
You linked to an article where 3 people filed a lawsuit against Subaru America, a few people made it a class action which is always cheaper to settle than take before a judge. Show me one manufacturer in the USA that doesn't have a class action suit against it?

Almost all your posts I've read have negative or insulting comments, which is a shame because it seems you know a lot about automotive topics and could be really helpful.
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:05 am
OP - Have you considered the Civic Type R, Focus RS or Golf R?
All really good cars with the added bonus of a hatchback, especially the Focus RS but the design is getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak. That is a great suggestion to anyone looking to buy a WRX STI to test the competition as there are some great cars in that category.

The STI has arguably a better awd system, but again is a design which is just about in need of a refresh as people have pointed out, which should be coming around 2020 or the year after. The current head of the STI division has hinted at a hybrid powerplant in the next WRX STI, rumors are a 1.4L turbo with electric motors and possibly NEC lithium battery cells. Who knows if those rumors will play out though. I just hope they bring back the hatchback option for the WRX.