Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:07 am
I like korean cars... but that stigma gets me everytime.
But thats okie... after my 2001 Lexus IS300 died @ 415,000km
I bought a 2004 Lexus is300 with 205,000km.
I only drive about 12,000km per year so it should be good for another 15 years hehe.
I was only being somewhat facetious.

Kia are reliable as any brand now but you're looking for performance cars in this area there's really only very mild interpretations or very "skeuomorph" versions like the Stinger or Veloster N even though numbers say otherwise.

Who buys a 300HP+ car just to baby it? Although I don't claim to know everything about the reliability of Subarus engines, Direct Injection engines also state you should not mash the gas at low RPM which is universally called LSPI low-speed pre-ignition. If you want to do that, get a NA engine. NA V6 / V8 and mash that go pedal all day long but I wouldnt' call that babying it just common sense. Same for high RPM on a cold engine.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2360 posts
371 upvotes
TO
Outdated, slow, ugly, horrible interior, can be somewhat unreliable. Avoid
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3201 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
tcharged wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:35 am
Outdated, slow, ugly, horrible interior, can be somewhat unreliable. Avoid
Seriously its one of the platforms most needing an update. It's been so long. And the styling has gotten more Corolla like than ever.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Apr 30, 2013
510 posts
223 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
So much troll filtering... Some good advice here, + 1 for buying new.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1342 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:16 am
I'm in the market for a sporty type car that I'm going to baby and drive it until it dies.
I feel like I love everything about the car and not sure if I should buy used or new.. as used you have no idea what the owners did to it.

Saying that, are they reliable? I won't be modifying or anything.. I just heard a lot about subaru's engines blowing.
i have my 2010 wrx since 2009. So far, its been a great car. over the past 9 years, i've been to the dealer to replace a cracked gas pump, replace OCV on bank 1, knock sensor. That is all. I do all other maintenace myself, brakes, all fluids (brake,tranny,diff,engine,windshield lol)

My clutch is about to go, seems to be a common problem with the release bearing. I also tow a 16foot fiberglass boat with it, camping, and a daily driver. Roof rack is a must, i can take 4x8 plywood home as a whole, 9 foot christmas trees. If you put winter tires on, you will go thru most of the snowy conditions you will find. I have towed a "4x4" pickup truck out of snow that I had to drive thru.

In terms of gas, for sure, its no eco box prices, but thats the price you pay if you wanna play. When you hit turbo at 3k rpm, you forget you paid 80 bucks for your tank. There are 2 kind of drivers, one that enjoys driving and appreciate the 3000lb of metal or one that drives so they get from A to B. If you are the latter, don't bother with the STI.
Oct 15, 2008
149 posts
114 upvotes
canada
Never buy a WRX or STI used. Never, ever, ever. Most are flashed to Stage 1 (using a Cobb Accessport) within hours or days of purchase, followed by the addition of aftermarket parts and Stage 2 not long after. A rare handful will remain stock for their entire lives, but you'll never be able to find them and/or trust the owner on his word that they are truly stock and not "stocked out" (ie. aftermarket parts ripped out and replaced with OEM).

As for buying new, I would hold off until 2020 because the current generation STI needs a serious update. The engine is more than 14 years old at this point and yet Subaru has done nothing to it aside from a slight hp bump a few years ago. Other manufacturers' performance vehicles (in this price range) have experienced significant changes or new additions during that time period. For example, the Mustang GT went from 260hp to 460hp and gained dual injectors, and Honda has finally brought the Civic Type-R to us (which is a major accomplishment, IMO) with a new 2.0T engine that is a true example of Honda engine expertise. Even lowly Kia has a Stinger GT for around the same price and it would spank the crap out of the STI. I mean, it's not like Subaru sat around and did nothing - they made a new engine for the Ascent, which is a 2.4L turbo boxer, and rumor has it that it will make its way to the STI in 2020. The next gen STI should also be on the new Subaru Global Platform, which should make it handle better.

Personally speaking, I was also very interested in the STI and I had resolved to wait for the next generation model. But then I did some research into boxer engines, especially Subaru boxer engines, and I concluded that I'd rather avoid that whole mess altogether and stick with the more commonplace inline / V configuration.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2284 posts
689 upvotes
It depends on what you want. Parts of the STi are definitely long in the tooth, but that is part of its charm.

Pros:
-Hydraulic steering with a quick steering ratio
-Mechanical differentials up front and in the back (more durable and predictable than Haldex or GKN in the competitors)
-Old school turbo feel (2k...nothing, 3k...nothing, 3.5k HOLD ON TIGHT!)
-Better sight lines/visibility than its competitors
-EJ25 has a semi-closed deck and huge after market support if you want to build for big power
-Middle of the road interior (worse than the Golf R, but better than the Focus RS)
-Good ergonomics
-Fantastic depreciation curve if you decide to sell a few years down the road
-VA chassis is nice and stiff
-Unequal length headers gives you that classic boxer rumble
-Comfortable seats
-Built-in adjustable camber

Cons:
-Engine platform debuted when Clinton was in office
-EJ25 has be tweaked to death to comply with emissions and is knock prone if you don't have access to good gas
-Advertised horsepower is only realized on 93 octane
-Engine has notable reliability issues (ringlands, oil consumption, connecting rods, etc.)
-Loud--lots of NVH and exhaust drone unless the engine is under load
-Stiff suspension. It's not hilariously overdamped like the Focus RS, but it does not like being driven slowly.
-Feels substantially slower than you would think in regular driving due to turbo lag and high boost threshold. Its 5-60 mph speed is about 2 seconds slower than its 0-60 mph when you do a clutch dump.
-Fuel economy on par with a Ford F150
-Infotainment system did not receive the updates of other Subarus, so no CarPlay or Android Auto
-Shifter has a lot of play
-High H-point for the seats
-Boxer rumble (You either love it or hate it. I hate it.)
-Subaru vape bro stigma
-Prone to understeer in stock form

Personally, I'd wait for the next-gen STi. The SGP is supposed to be very, very good and it will come with the new FA24DIT.

Edit: If you do buy one, get it new. I wouldn't touch a used STi or Evo with a 39-foot pole.
Mar 1, 2008
756 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
wait for the 2020. it will go to the new subaru global platform
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9858 posts
4228 upvotes
Toronto
Do it. 2017 STI owner here. Just be aware that with the STI, pay to play. Gas and unless you do yourself maintenance, it's pricey.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2488 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
I think I'd rather get a Type R than STI at this point in time.

Even though it comes with ridiculous red seats, the interior is quite nice and not as dated as the Subaru. The exterior isn't winning any awards, but then again neither is the STI.

Not to mention, Honda makes awesome manual transmissions!
Dec 24, 2009
632 posts
252 upvotes
In this price range worth considering a CPO S4/S5 with extended warranty.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3573 upvotes
Gord18Stirr wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:16 am
I'm in the market for a sporty type car that I'm going to baby and drive it until it dies.
I feel like I love everything about the car and not sure if I should buy used or new.. as used you have no idea what the owners did to it.
Just based on what you said, I recommend you go new. Why? Because most people don't baby their cars and going used you're subject to whatever the previous owner did to it (or neglected to do as the case may be).

If you really love the car and will really take care of it well, you'll take much more pride in it if you get a new one than worrying about whatever the previous owner did with it.

That said you could find someone that's selling that took really good care of it too--you typically find those ppl on forums but TBH if you're really picky just go with a new one. This is assuming you can afford a new one but you didn't seem to give any indication you couldn't so go for it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3573 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:45 pm
I think I'd rather get a Type R than STI at this point in time.

Even though it comes with ridiculous red seats, the interior is quite nice and not as dated as the Subaru. The exterior isn't winning any awards, but then again neither is the STI.

Not to mention, Honda makes awesome manual transmissions!
Only good luck with driving the Type-R in the winter (or even the wet), compared to the STi anyway. (If one plans on having another car for winter, this is not an issue.) Also Type-R is an ugly monstrosity that will make your eyes bleed when you look at it, so there's that problem. With all the stupid wings/lips/nooks/crannies in the design it'll be a real PITA to wash/detail as well. Of course buy whatever you like but just saying, STi is a better year-rounder and doesn't look gaudy.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
Neither the STI nor CTR will be mistaken for beauty queens. They're like a Korean girl on a chicken and steak diet doing squats all day long.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1052 posts
1786 upvotes
Wow, surprised no one has mentioned The Evo-X? From what I’ve been told they are pretty reliable and bulletproof and worth getting over the STI. (Personally have always been a Subaru guy but the cost of an MR over an STI and the discount I got didn’t make sense at the time).

I personally bought MY11 STI Hatch brand new and have had zero issues because I know modding a Subaru engine is not good for long term reliability. The only issue I had was my steering rack leaked but that was covered under warranty and haven’t had issues since. All the work done on the car I do myself to save on cost. It is practically stock, the only thing I changed was going with full adjustable coil overs with adjustable rear lower control arms so that I could get more negative camber.

I only run the suggested 91 octane on the car as 94 is not beneficial without a tune, which requires a downpipe and CAI. If you are interested in modifying the car, be ready the pay if you want to play.

I did more recently run in to an issue with my valve covers leaking, bought new gaskets and spark plugs at the same time and did the work myself. Further more, I blew out my first cat and after a bunch of troubleshooting I ended up replacing the part with a 3” cobb down pipe and AEM CAI and then had the car tuned. If I went with 94 tune, I could make an extra 20hp to the wheels but what for - i go to Costco for gas and car runs great.

I would seriously consider an EVO over the STI if you need to make a decision sooner than later.