• Dec 7th, 2018 9:43 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3572 upvotes
markopas wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:51 am
Wow, surprised no one has mentioned The Evo-X? From what I’ve been told they are pretty reliable and bulletproof and worth getting over the STI. (Personally have always been a Subaru guy but the cost of an MR over an STI and the discount I got didn’t make sense at the time).
Evo-X? What is this, 2010? LOL. Pretty passe in this day and age and the car is basically a decade-old design now. If people are complaining about the STi being dated, well this thing is ancient by comparison. Plus Mitsu stopped selling these years ago so OP wouldn't be able to get one new like they seem to be after.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:44 am
Evo-X? What is this, 2010? LOL. Pretty passe in this day and age and the car is basically a decade-old design now. If people are complaining about the STi being dated, well this thing is ancient by comparison. Plus Mitsu stopped selling these years ago so OP wouldn't be able to get one new like they seem to be after.
Whatchu talking bout Willis? People are still buying Nissan 370z which also looks like its 2009 when it came out. If people like the design why not?

I personally would get a lightly used 2012-13 hatchback sti. The new sedan is just not doing it for me.

That said I wouldn't want to get an evoneither as the interior is so spartan.

For that kind of want something more emotionally rewarding inside and out and standing still or ripping it hard and neither of these really does that.

Only fanboys would pay the ridiculous markups for one like focus rs or civic type or or forgive the pedestrian interior or the big winged on a grocery getter looks.

Still the only way is a V8 Mustang or the dark horse kia stinger. Would make quick work of those ricer burners in stock form.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2284 posts
689 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:20 am
Whatchu talking bout Willis? People are still buying Nissan 370z which also looks like its 2009 when it came out. If people like the design why not?

I personally would get a lightly used 2012-13 hatchback sti. The new sedan is just not doing it for me.

That said I wouldn't want to get an evoneither as the interior is so spartan.

For that kind of want something more emotionally rewarding inside and out and standing still or ripping it hard and neither of these really does that.

Only fanboys would pay the ridiculous markups for one like focus rs or civic type or or forgive the pedestrian interior or the big winged on a grocery getter looks.

Still the only way is a V8 Mustang or the dark horse kia stinger. Would make quick work of those ricer burners in stock form.
What if they want a car that weighs less than two tonnes on a short wheel base? What if they want to spend less than $50k+ (loaded Mustang GT with PP2, active exhaust and magnetic suspension is $62k) on a new car?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3572 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:20 am
Yeah but OP almost certainly wants a new car and has only spoken about the STi. Can't get a new Evo anymore (or ever again) unless one day Mitsu resurrects it. However it's much more likely Mitsu cars will go under before then.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
unshavenyak wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:13 am
What if they want a car that weighs less than two tonnes on a short wheel base? What if they want to spend less than $50k+ (loaded Mustang GT with PP2, active exhaust and magnetic suspension is $62k) on a new car?
I'm going to get major flack for this but here goes. I could say the value proposition in something like a Miata or a 4C Spyder with the latter commanding such a high price tag especially but when it's a vanilla grocery getter with go fast bits on it (Focus RS, Golf R, Veloster N, et cetera) it's hard to justify the almost half or more in price premium. I guess I'm more of a buffet kind of guy. If I'm going to spend more than the median then I want more for my money even if it means more weight and more room that I'll never use. My cut off is probably something like a Civic Si where it's sporty yet isn't going to break the bank. The Hot hatch scene is ridiculously pricing itself out of the common man's budget unlike the 90s when they were more attainable by your car enthusiasts, now they're more for people who want a second car or are already making good money in the work force. I read this comment on a YouTube video where if a guy in high school wanted a Mustang he could work a couple of summers and be able to put a downpayment and be the envy of their school now as you pointed out they're in the 50-60K price range.
Last edited by Supercooled on Dec 5th, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:27 am
Yeah but OP almost certainly wants a new car and has only spoken about the STi. Can't get a new Evo anymore (or ever again) unless one day Mitsu resurrects it. However it's much more likely Mitsu cars will go under before then.
I'm sure Mitsu will still be around longer than we'll both be alive or the life of the car. Not sure how the laws work but if they completely pull out of Canada/US will they be absolved of all responsibilities for it? I think not. Even still I'm sure there are after market parts for them for years to come. You think all the Ford people are screwed because they stopped selling their midsize to compact cars now in NA? They can always ship it from China or wherever they are selling them now; you just have to wait a little longer (could be more expensive) but still viable option. However I do see the dilemma if that is a problem for some (why wouldn't it?).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9856 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:34 pm
I'm sure Mitsu will still be around longer than we'll both be alive or the life of the car. Not sure how the laws work but if they completely pull out of Canada/US will they be absolved of all responsibilities for it? I think not. Even still I'm sure there are after market parts for them for years to come. You think all the Ford people are screwed because they stopped selling their midsize to compact cars now in NA? They can always ship it from China or wherever they are selling them now; you just have to wait a little longer (could be more expensive) but still viable option. However I do see the dilemma if that is a problem for some (why wouldn't it?).
Can't use Ford as a comparison.... They have service bays. Where does Suzuki get their cars serviced? I hope not at a motorcycle dealer. Because I know of zero suzuki service centers outside of marine/atvs/bikes... Anyone have a suzuki car that was serviced in warranty when suzuki pulled out?

Where can I get my Suzuki Serviced?

https://www.suzuki.ca/auto/?q=faq

Suzuki Canada has authorized Warranty & Service locations across Canada to perform service on your vehicle. Please refer to the Authorized Service Facility locator on www.suzuki.ca.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1350 posts
311 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
My wife worked as a public health / sexual health nurse.

She asked me how those Subarus got Sexually Transmitted Infections.

LOL
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
koffey wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:34 pm
Can't use Ford as a comparison.... They have service bays. Where does Suzuki get their cars serviced? I hope not at a motorcycle dealer. Because I know of zero suzuki service centers outside of marine/atvs/bikes... Anyone have a suzuki car that was serviced in warranty when suzuki pulled out?

Where can I get my Suzuki Serviced?

https://www.suzuki.ca/auto/?q=faq

Suzuki Canada has authorized Warranty & Service locations across Canada to perform service on your vehicle. Please refer to the Authorized Service Facility locator on www.suzuki.ca.

Good point. At the end of the day as someone who has had some experience at a non-luxury dealership a handful of times, it's not much better than your independant garage. I'm sure the electronics in a Suzuki (or any non-luxury brand) isn't that complicated to understand for your average grease monkey.

Hell, it might be even cheaper. We all know Stealerships love to take you to the cleaners for small things. You can bet once my warranty is up I won't be doing any more service at the dealers.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2680 posts
367 upvotes
I dont understand how it went from Subaru WRX STI, to Suzuki. LOL.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:15 pm
Well, why not? It's all relative.

You brought your family trials and tribulations into a thread about what the best time is to be alive. It's relative to your story so why not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9856 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:15 pm
Kinda like this:

Subaru STI -->Miata/BRZ/Mustang GT--->GolfR/FocRS/CivicTR----->EvoX

OP said new/used, so everyone was saying a NEW WRX, and Evo was disco'd years ago, question about service/warranty if Mistu ever went away, hence Suzuki. Which I might add, make great bikes and their cars were pretty good too!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1341 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:32 pm
Kinda like this:

Subaru STI -->Miata/BRZ/Mustang GT--->GolfR/FocRS/CivicTR----->EvoX

OP said new/used, so everyone was saying a NEW WRX, and Evo was disco'd years ago, question about service/warranty if Mistu ever went away, hence Suzuki. Which I might add, make great bikes and their cars were pretty good too!
i think suzuki would sell more cars if they just build a few models the same size of minis, but fitted with their busa engines.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6723 posts
1280 upvotes
Mississauga
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:05 am
OP - Have you considered the Civic Type R, Focus RS or Golf R?
+1 Focus RS
Sep 7, 2018
11 posts
2 upvotes
Love my '17 wrx sport tech.

I would wait to see what 2020 brings as rumors of a complete wrx sti overhaul including the aging motor.