• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 9:43 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
markopas wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:51 am
Wow, surprised no one has mentioned The Evo-X? From what I’ve been told they are pretty reliable and bulletproof and worth getting over the STI. (Personally have always been a Subaru guy but the cost of an MR over an STI and the discount I got didn’t make sense at the time).
I was pretty fixated on getting one when they were first announced that they're coming to Canada.

But I realized all Mitsu dealers played HARD to get on the Evo... how I had to put a deposit without knowing exactly what colour you're getting or when you'll get the colour you want, etc etc. Not to mention zero chance of any discounts.

I told myself I'm never going to get one, and I came out better at the end.

STI and Evo are like sneakers, you get a super hardon for them when you're in your teens and early 20s but once you get older you realized there are much better cars out there.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
9866 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 10:32 am


STI and Evo are like sneakers, you get a super hardon for them when you're in your teens and early 20s but once you get older you realized there are much better cars out there.
Like? Wait... Lemme guess... RS3? R? Civic TR? CLA AMG?

:lol:

Sorry to break it to you but you'd be SHOCKED at the number of older people in wrx/sti. You watch too much fast and furious.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
Alfa 4C, Boxster/Cayman, Lotus, Aston V8 Vantage, etc etc etc

Mr. RegularCarReviews is in the same age group as me and he has the exact same sentiment towards WRX/STI...



Last edited by mebiuspower on Dec 6th, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
9866 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:13 pm
Alfa 4C, Boxster/Cayman, Lotus, Aston V8 Vantage, etc etc etc
right in the same price range too

:lol:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:16 pm
right in the same price range too

:lol:
Those cars are cheaper after you get a complete suspension overhaul, new tires/wheels/brakes, new intercooler, turbo, exhaust manifolds & catback, race clutch and LFW on your Subie.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
9866 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:20 pm
Those cars are cheaper after you get a complete suspension overhaul, new tires/wheels/brakes, new intercooler, turbo, exhaust manifolds & catback on your Subie.
And please explain why I would want any of that? Strawman argument? Or again, you watching too much too fast too furious? Please pick one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:24 pm
And please explain why I would want any of that? Strawman argument? Or again, you watching too much too fast too furious? Please pick one.
Because even a bone stock Civic R is faster than an STI?
Because peer pressure by other Subie owners?
Because nobody leaves their STI stock?
Because Hella horns?

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
9866 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:37 pm
Because even a bone stock Civic R is faster than an STI?
Because peer pressure by other Subie owners?
Because nobody leaves their STI stock?
Anyways, my last post on this with you because IMO, your responses are ridiculous.

Let's label them 1 through 3.

1. Come on man, the EJ is super old. I'm shocked that the K20C1 is barely able to beat it in output alone. You must be into Gundam?
2. You haven't been to hypermeet I take it. Are you 16 still that you succumb to peer pressure? Please jump off a bridge because your friend did it?
3. Many do. Mine is. And no, I have no AP installed.

I've come to the conclusion that you're either 16 or an adult that still wants to be 16. Or just trying to say how terrible the sti is because your jealous you don't have one.

Oh, and for your video reviews, lol. Yeah, cause I would totally trust some dude on youtube, but at least you found someone that thinks the same way. Please make sure to quote me on your response because I'm going to go vaping with my bros, pound monster energy drinks, and make em jealous by showing off my new flat brim hat and stock car. Hopefully they do not pressure me into trying some weed.

:facepalm:

What a joke.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2515 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
I see plenty of 30+ men and woman in new WRX/STI, a lot more than teenagers and 20s in fact. I would be too if they still made a hatch version.

People buy it because it's a practical compact 4 door car, not sure how Mustang and Miata can even compare in this regard. Dragging Porsche/Lotus/Aston Martin into the comparison is just beyond asinine.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
Actually, I would love to have a 90s Impreza 22B STi, when they actually were winning WRC left and right. Even the bug-eye, at least they raced them. After the race team disbanded in 2008, anything else that came after became more and more diluted from their racing history.





On that same note, I'd take a Evo VI also. Those cars back then were compact, super lightweight and extremely nimble.

Image

F*** I want one just by looking at them.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
1069 posts
1816 upvotes
At the time, it was the best bang for your buck vehicle you could buy out there, back when I was looking around - I had a sedan and there weren't all that fun plus I like the look of the hatch especially after the bumper refresh for 2011 (a lot of 08-10 WRX were pissed when they matched the flares to the STI). I was looking at the A3 but the problem there was there was not S3 hatch model, the AWD only came in Auto or a FWD manual (wtf!) and the EVO was I think $5k more than the STI and only available in a sedan.

Right now, the only reason my STI has these mods now is because I didn't have a choice and buying 3rd party was cheaper than buying OEM so it only made sense to upgrade and the money saved was invested into parts that I would gain more performance out of without breaking the engine. The tune was not done through an AP as I didn't want to commit to getting one and all the hassle that it comes with and went with the RomRaider route instead (now I'm just looking for a tactrix adapter to change the map).

If I had to change cars right now my options would be the following:
GT-R (15 or newer)
M2 (2019) comp.pkg in Long Beach Blue
RS3
RS5 and RS7 Sportback versions (does it show I'm a sucker for hatcbacks LOL).
Alfa Romeo 4c Coupe in Rosso Red
Tesla P90D (this thing is fun ass to drive especially in ludicrous mode, recally test driving a P75D a few years back, definitely made an impression).
Jaguar F-Type R or SVR.. (another blast to drive, wife and I both did the test drive event at Sherway not too long ago).

I would even venture into an older 5-series wagon, Audi wagon or Mercedes wagon but it needs to the have the same power and torque (or better) than the STI so make me go here because a lot of these are under powered.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
markopas wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:28 pm
Alfa Romeo 4c Coupe in Rosso Red
Image

Had this for a week while I was in Italy in the summer time. Boy, there's nothing like it out there... not even an Elise. This thing makes all kinds of crazy noises and I even got catcalled while driving it in downtown Milan.

It's quite mentally & physically involving car... just like Italian women.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
1069 posts
1816 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:53 pm
Image

Had this for a week while I was in Italy in the summer time. Boy, there's nothing like it out there... not even an Elise. This thing makes all kinds of crazy noises and I even got catcalled while driving it in downtown Milan.

It's quite mentally & physically involving car... just like Italian women.
Nice, I used to have a rosso red Ducati 748, called her my Italian red head LOL.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1060 posts
330 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 1:38 pm
Actually, I would love to have a 90s Impreza 22B STi, when they actually were winning WRC left and right. Even the bug-eye, at least they raced them. After the race team disbanded in 2008, anything else that came after became more and more diluted from their racing history.


F*** I want one just by looking at them.
I had a few modded subies, but my old GC was still my favorite
Image

I maybe a little biased but imho the hawkeye was the last good looking subaru made. only thing i want from the new ones are the 6pots. I would wait for the 2020 refresh.

Image

i kind of regret not getting an evox. easier to get power, more reliable motor, and better looking.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2825 posts
1558 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
mebiuspower wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 1:38 pm
Actually, I would love to have a 90s Impreza 22B STi, when they actually were winning WRC left and right. Even the bug-eye, at least they raced them. After the race team disbanded in 2008, anything else that came after became more and more diluted from their racing history.





On that same note, I'd take a Evo VI also. Those cars back then were compact, super lightweight and extremely nimble.

Image

F*** I want one just by looking at them.
Oh man I had a chance to get a 22B back in 2013. I bid something like $40k and I still lost. I think the final bid was $57k.

I actually bought a 1999 Mitsubishi Evo VI grade 4.5 B interior for $18k landed. Super fun car and great as a weekend car. Didn't like it as much as RHD though.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.

Top