Subfloor for basement

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2016 12:22 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 16, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
I am days away from making a subfloor decision for my basement. I have been getting DriCore/Barricade quotes all week and I almost made up my decision until you threw in Rona's SubFlor curveball :)

Home Depot is selling DriCore panels at $6.97 a piece
Lowe's has both DriCore & Barricade options at $7.99 & $8.99 respectively
Certain Home Hardware locations also have both (North York) at $6.49

It would be useful to toss in the price of some rigid foam insulation as a possible add-on. I think if someone were to choose the DeltaFL option with some OSB, it would be worthwhile to add a layer of foam for extra warmth.
Dec 10, 2007
324 posts
12 upvotes
mk05406 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2008 10:29 am
I am days away from making a subfloor decision for my basement. I have been getting DriCore/Barricade quotes all week and I almost made up my decision until you threw in Rona's SubFlor curveball :)

Home Depot is selling DriCore panels at $6.97 a piece
Lowe's has both DriCore & Barricade options at $7.99 & $8.99 respectively
Certain Home Hardware locations also have both (North York) at $6.49

It would be useful to toss in the price of some rigid foam insulation as a possible add-on. I think if someone were to choose the DeltaFL option with some OSB, it would be worthwhile to add a layer of foam for extra warmth.
I was at Martin Grove Rona yesterday, and I believe that was the price. In any case I'm, 100% certain it was below $7. Give them a call.
Dec 16, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
Thanks!

One critical piece of information that I did not find in this thread is the difference between the two types of panel subfloor systems (DriCORE and OvrX). For those considering a panel subfloor systems, you need to understand the differences (the two systems are NOT the same).

DriCORE and SubFlor are designed for folks with moisture & condensation in mind. These systems use a polyethylene barrier at the bottom which supposedly channels water to the drain and keeps the wood at the top dry.

The OvrX Barricade, though similarly priced, is designed for those with thermal insulation in mind. It uses foam as the panel bottom. It will guarantee a significant temperature difference between the concrete slab and the room ambient temperature but it will not help with moisture.

There has been a lot of discussion on this thread about using the DeltaFL layer with an OSB top. That would closely mimic the DriCORE/SubFlor systems.

On the other hand, this fellow was more concerned with temperature and hence chose to mimic the Barricade product by using rigid foam insulation as the support layer for the OSB top.

Maybe the ideal solution would be to use a combination of both. A DeltaFL roll topped with some rigid insulation and a layer of OSB T&G boards on top?

Hopefully this info will help someone one day.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2010 posts
610 upvotes
Saint-Bruno
thrifter wrote:
Oct 6th, 2008 1:09 pm
All in all, I'd say this: although Delta FL was warm (I tested by lying in shorts and a T-shirt on it) versus the concrete floor with underlay only; laminate flooring seems to conduct cold; it feels colder than the Delta FL itself is/was.
Well laminated has some iron/steel in its composition. Iron has a thermal conductivity 6 times higher than regular wood.

Than would probably explain it.
Apr 16, 2007
145 posts
4 upvotes
Platon @ HD: $129 for 6.5' x 65' roll ~ $0.30 psf (add ~$0.70 psf for plywood/OSB)
SuperSeal All-in-one: $86 for 3.25' x 51' roll ~ $0.52 psf (add ~$0.70psf for plywood/OSB)
Delta FL @ Rona & Lowes: $55 for 3.5' x 30' roll ~ $0.52 psf (add ~$0.70psf for plywood/OSB)
OvrX Barricade: $6.43 for a 2' x 2' tile ~$1.61 psf
DriCore @ HD: $7 for a 2' x 2' tile ~ $1.75 psf
I need some help guys, here in SK both Rona & HD don't know what these products are although I showed them above quoted information.
They need the product SKU, so if you purchased these stuff before and if you know the SKU, may I have the Rona and HD's SKU for Delta-FL and Platon. Thanks guys.
Dec 16, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
My local Home Hardware sells the DriCORe and the Barricade squares for $6.49 each. I purchased 4 DriCORE squares to see how they feel. I did not like the amount of wobbling action I saw on my relatively flat floor.

I took the squares back and tried the OvrX barricade instead. What a difference! The squares are soft, warm, air-tight, and immediately contour the floor shape. I purchased 150 units and I'm glad I did. I find it to be a superior product than the polyethylene-based tiles.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
mk05406 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2008 8:33 pm
My local Home Hardware sells the DriCORe and the Barricade squares for $6.49 each. I purchased 4 DriCORE squares to see how they feel. I did not like the amount of wobbling action I saw on my relatively flat floor.

I took the squares back and tried the OvrX barricade instead. What a difference! The squares are soft, warm, air-tight, and immediately contour the floor shape. I purchased 150 units and I'm glad I did. I find it to be a superior product than the polyethylene-based tiles.
So if the product is able to contour to uneven floor that means it will contour from above due to placement of heavy objects like couch, other furniture.
Dec 16, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
GTT1 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2008 11:46 pm
So if the product is able to contour to uneven floor that means it will contour from above due to placement of heavy objects like couch, other furniture.
Just the weight of the panel itself was enough for the underlying foam to contour all the little concrete bumps after a couple of days. I assume it will only get better with time after installing the final floor and walls.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
mk05406 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2008 9:20 am
Just the weight of the panel itself was enough for the underlying foam to contour all the little concrete bumps after a couple of days. I assume it will only get better with time after installing the final floor and walls.
It shouldn't "contour" much.. XPS foam is usualy 20psi... you need a lot of weight for it to compress, especially when the load is spread by the OSB (top layer of orvx). I think that what you noticed is simply a lack of "clicking" sound (from dricore) because the foam doesn't do that.
Dec 16, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
mart242 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2008 11:33 pm
It shouldn't "contour" much.. XPS foam is usualy 20psi... you need a lot of weight for it to compress, especially when the load is spread by the OSB (top layer of orvx). I think that what you noticed is simply a lack of "clicking" sound (from dricore) because the foam doesn't do that.
Maybe you're right. But I can tell that all the OvrX panels that arrived had some wood shavings embedded in the foam as part of the packaging process. It seemed that the smaller the object, the easier it was for the foam to swallow it.

Also, there were lots of little concrete dirt pieces that hardened on the slab (from the builder) that seemed to puncture their way right into the foam. The panels would be flat on the slab once I stepped on them and never move again.

One thing is for sure, I don't miss the clicking noise.
Aug 31, 2007
5 posts
Ontario
Anyone know if there is a supplier of Ovrx in East Ottawa region (Orleans)?

Also, does any one know if hardwood is a good choice or should I stay away (which I would understand since it is a basement)? I would like to get rid of the carpet and go hardwood/cork, failing that laminate as last choice.

Thanks
Sep 26, 2008
311 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure about solid hardwood, but what about engineered hardwood? Home Depot has some really nice products.

Check out http://www.trilliumhardwood.com/files/u ... pecies.swf

I'm planning on putting the 3 1/2" chestnut oak (the website pics don't do it justice) on my main floor, but the stuff is suitable for below grade. It's about $4.50 per ft2. The 5" is more expensive at $5.50 to $6.00, but is 3/4" thick. Not that cheap, but you can glue it, float it or nail it.
Apr 16, 2007
145 posts
4 upvotes
Try to get some 10mm with built-in foam backing laminate floor from Costco as it has pretty good review here but I was not able to find any laminate. There are real hardwood and bamboo but no laminate, check the Costco web site and they don't list any laminate neither.
Anyone know if Costco stop selling laminate floor?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
Just wondering if anyone knows where to get Delta FL in Vancouver. It's on the Rona site but none of the Rona stores know anything about it.
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
Don't ask the staff at Rona's hardwood floor department, it's not in their department so they don't know anything on it. It's in their big construction material department. Also the generic name for the product is called dimpled membrane.

You can also call the manufacturer's toll-free number and ask who carries their products in Vancouver.

http://www.deltafl.com/
× < >