Site Comments & Suggestions

Subscription and notification emails are not being sent?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 10:15 pm
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria

Subscription and notification emails are not being sent?

Hi RFD,

This just started happening for me yesterday. Up until then I was receiving the Hot Deals emails. Since yesterday though, nothing. I checked my subscription to the hot deals subforum, and it is correct. I canceled it and re-created it, but still no emails. Furthermore, I'm not receiving any other email notifications such as follow up posts on subscribed threads.

Could someone please have a look into this?

Thanks RFD,
Cal.
17 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10322 posts
16455 upvotes
Scarborough
There has been an ongoing issue with daily and weekly subscription type emails for about the past 3 weeks. On Saturday they started working again for me and it still worked on Sunday.

What's your subscription type set to and did you not receive any emails last night?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 11:56 am
There has been an ongoing issue with daily and weekly subscription type emails for about the past 3 weeks. On Saturday they started working again for me and it still worked on Sunday.

What's your subscription type set to and did you not receive any emails last night?
Hi Tom,

I have not received any emails of any type (Forum subscription, thread subscription, quote notifications etc) since Friday. The last one received was at :Fri, 30 Nov, 15:30. All my subscription types are set the same: Instant email notification, and no in app notification.

Thanks Tom,
Cal.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10322 posts
16455 upvotes
Scarborough
For instant email notifications you won't continue to receive new email alerts until you revisit that thread. It's a flood control feature on our part.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm
For instant email notifications you won't continue to receive new email alerts until you revisit that thread. It's a flood control feature on our part.
Hi Tom,

I totally get that, but that doesn't explain my experience. I have received zero emails from RFD since Fri, 30 Nov, 15:30 PST. Up until then I was receiving emails as expected...multiple per hour. My browsing habits and behaviors did not change suddenly at Fri, 30 Nov, 15:30 PST. For example yesterday I did not visit the RFD site once, and did not receive a single email the entire day despite numerous new posts in my subscribed forums, and followup posts in my subscribed threads(posts) since my last visit.

I'm under the impression that there is a system issue at play here. Nothing else can explain this behavior.

Thanks again Tom,
Cal.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2755 posts
1109 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
crap... I just found all the emails!!
They were in Spam!

No idea why 3 weeks ago they all suddenly went into spam instead of my main folder as they had done so for many years

/edit: I feel like a complete jackass, but I've no idea why RFD was going in Spam. Anyways, I've fixed that now and everything seems to be working for me
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
raskal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:50 pm
crap... I just found all the emails!!
They were in Spam!

No idea why 3 weeks ago they all suddenly went into spam instead of my main folder as they had done so for many years

/edit: I feel like a complete jackass, but I've no idea why RFD was going in Spam. Anyways, I've fixed that now and everything seems to be working for me
Lucky you! Mine are not in spam.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm
Hi Tom,

I have unsubscribed to the hot deals forum, and then resubscribed with both "my notifications" turned on, and "email updates" set to instant. With this setup I receive notifications on the site, but no email is sent. The same applies if I subscribe to a post or thread in the same fashion. Notifications appear on the site, but no emails are sent. This again points to a system issue with regards to sending out email.

Thanks again Tom,
Cal.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
calvados.boualrd wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:33 pm
Hi Tom,

I have unsubscribed to the hot deals forum, and then resubscribed with both "my notifications" turned on, and "email updates" set to instant. With this setup I receive notifications on the site, but no email is sent. The same applies if I subscribe to a post or thread in the same fashion. Notifications appear on the site, but no emails are sent. This again points to a system issue with regards to sending out email.

Thanks again Tom,
Cal.
Hi @TomRFD ,

Does my last message help deduce the issue at all? In my thinking if my thread/post and forum notifications are all set to both instant email, and "my notifications" (bell icon on the website), but only the "my notifications" are being received, it seems that would point to an email service issue of some sorts?

Thanks again @TomRFD ,
Cal.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10322 posts
16455 upvotes
Scarborough
calvados.boualrd wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi @TomRFD ,

Does my last message help deduce the issue at all? In my thinking if my thread/post and forum notifications are all set to both instant email, and "my notifications" (bell icon on the website), but only the "my notifications" are being received, it seems that would point to an email service issue of some sorts?

Thanks again @TomRFD ,
Cal.
I've been testing instant email alerts on 2 popular fast moving threads. I've been receiving an email but I'm still trying to figure out if the subsequent emails after I return to the thread are still working as they should.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:35 am
I've been testing instant email alerts on 2 popular fast moving threads. I've been receiving an email but I'm still trying to figure out if the subsequent emails after I return to the thread are still working as they should.
Thanks @TomRFD What about forum subscriptions? I'm not getting any emails from the hot deals forum for which I'm subscribed. My in app (Bell icon) alerts are working fine. (I'm notified of new posts in the hot deals forum under the bell icon, but don't receive any emails for the same).

Let me know if there is any testing you need from my end.

Thanks again @TomRFD ,
Cal.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
Hi @TomRFD ,

As of 11.05 AM PST I am now receiving email notifications again. Not sure what you did to fix it, but thanks @TomRFD !

Thanks again,
Cal.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:35 am
Hi @TomRFD ,

Well that didn't last long. I'm now no longer receiving email notifications again as of 10am PST today. What gives?

Thanks @TomRFD ,
Cal.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10322 posts
16455 upvotes
Scarborough
calvados.boualrd wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 6:01 pm
Hi @TomRFD ,

Well that didn't last long. I'm now no longer receiving email notifications again as of 10am PST today. What gives?

Thanks @TomRFD ,
Cal.
So far my instant email notifications have been working as expected. I'll receive an email notification and then won't receive the next until I visit the forums. Once I visit the forums it resets and then I'll receive an email the next time someone replies to the thread. Is it not acting like this for you?
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
232 posts
99 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:00 pm
So far my instant email notifications have been working as expected. I'll receive an email notification and then won't receive the next until I visit the forums. Once I visit the forums it resets and then I'll receive an email the next time someone replies to the thread. Is it not acting like this for you?

Hi @TomRFD ,

No this is not my experience. Doing the same actions as you describe above, I do not receive email notifications. I do however receive app (bell icon) notifications for the same subscriptions. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the email service, as the bell icon notifications are indeed sent correctly as you describe above...just not email.

Thanks again @TomRFD ,
Cal.