• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes

Sudden increase in off-center license plates

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend, but based on my anecdotal evidence, there has been a recent surge in cars with off-center license plates. I see multiple offenders every day now.

This trend seriously needs to go away.
128 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1875 posts
299 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend, but based on my anecdotal evidence, there has been a recent surge in cars with off-center license plates. I see multiple offenders every day now.

Why? It is not a trend. There is a legitimate reason people do it.

They don't want holes drilled into their bumper so they mount it on the tow hook instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23761 posts
10178 upvotes
Ottawa
Or it comes factory installed on certain vehicles with a front mount interooler.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20285 posts
9094 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
it's for sick hp gainz
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes
Mr_Dogg wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:14 pm
Why? It is not a trend. There is a legitimate reason people do it.

They don't want holes drilled into their bumper so they mount it on the tow hook instead.
Why does it matter if holes get drilled into the bumper if the license plate gets mounted on the holes?

Sorry, but that's like saying you don't believe in tooth fillings because it requires the dentist to drill into your tooth first.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8477 posts
1848 upvotes
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm

Don't you have other problems to worry about than other people having off-centered licence plates? 1st world problems right here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9873 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
"Offenders" as if they are illegal? LOL. Well, besides looking 'off', why does it matter to anyone but the car's owner?

I hate drilling holes in the bumper too if it can be avoided.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17201 posts
1507 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't get it either especially to go out of your way to fill in the holes or worst ignore it or pacing the plate on the dash.

Honestly you're asking for attention, in a bad way a reason to pull you over.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:26 pm
Don't you have other problems to worry about than other people having off-centered licence plates? 1st world problems right here.
I worry about all problems equally. I don't discriminate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9873 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
bembol wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:27 pm
I don't get it either especially to go out of your way to fill in the holes or worst ignore it or pacing the plate on the dash.

Honestly you're asking for attention, in a bad way a reason to pull you over.
Well, that's getting a bit OT, putting it on the dash is just asking to be decapitated lol.

As for the off-centre, it only makes sense if you can't physically put in the centre (e.g. recent Alfa Romeos) or to avoid drilling holes. Agree that it's silly if there are already existing holes, that's pretty much ptless imo.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9535 posts
3532 upvotes
Brampton
Took a second to realize you were only referring to the front plate. I thought you were talking about the rear plate triggering some OCD(Due to how some backup cams are setup, take a close look to the 2012-2014 Elantra for example)

I'd wish Ontario would get rid of the front plate completely.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9873 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
tebore wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:44 pm
Took a second to realize you were only referring to the front plate. I thought you were talking about the rear plate triggering some OCD(Due to how some backup cams are setup, take a close look to the 2012-2014 Elantra for example)

I'd wish Ontario would get rid of the front plate completely.
+999999999999

Almost enough of a reason to move out of the province lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9858 posts
4228 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a rice car from Newfoundland and Labrador, install license plate re-locator in tow hook that will never get used. FMIC for the win. Race all day on the streets. Crusing for chicks at night. Living 1/4 mile per day. Brofist with white tank top and guyliner. Stop hating OP. I believe there was one person here with clown shoe, think z4?, and was looking to cheap out on doing this with 3M tape, lol. @tranquility922 was that you?

What's worse, is owing a nice car and cheaping out on getting things done to it.
Sep 30, 2009
622 posts
281 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I don't get why some people get so upset when their bumper gets drilled for license plate. I don't like the non symmetrical look of having the license plate on the side.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9873 posts
1811 upvotes
Montréal
koffey wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:57 pm
Buy a rice car from Newfoundland and Labrador, install license plate re-locator in tow hook that will never get used. FMIC for the win. Race all day on the streets. Crusing for chicks at night. Living 1/4 mile per day. Brofist with white tank top and guyliner. Stop hating OP. I believe there was one person here with clown shoe, think z4?, and was looking to cheap out on doing this with 3M tape, lol. @tranquility922 was that you?

What's worse, is owing a nice car and cheaping out on getting things done to it.
Boo, thumbs down, dude. Man, 'cheap out' is kinda derogatory. Anyway, I was exploring all options and 3M was made for that purpose and tried/true by others, so why not? I try to be fully-informed b4 making a decision. Also, it's not really about the $$$$$ but the PROPER way to do it RIGHT (esp in my case I wanted a temp solution, so why spend crazy $$$?). In the end, I got a mount so I can still centre the plate w/o drilling holes.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Jun 12th, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.