• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 10:43 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9099 posts
232 upvotes
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend, but based on my anecdotal evidence, there has been a recent surge in cars with off-center license plates. I see multiple offenders every day now.

This trend seriously needs to go away.
I've had mine on the car since new, 2012.

Everyone should stop copying me
it's me ramin.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
dredd2099 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 11:47 am
I wouldn't mind a cleaner looking front bumper either
although don't the police point their speed guns on either the license plates or headlights?
no front plates means less options for them to point speed gun at = lesser chance of catching = less money in the coffers
lol, that's probably what the politicos will think about in the room deliberating taking out front plates Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Police in AB, SK, QC and maritimes must be going bankrupt with no front licence plate at all
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9511 posts
3497 upvotes
Brampton
dredd2099 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 11:47 am
I wouldn't mind a cleaner looking front bumper either
although don't the police point their speed guns on either the license plates or headlights?
no front plates means less options for them to point speed gun at = lesser chance of catching = less money in the coffers

lol, that's probably what the politicos will think about in the room deliberating taking out front plates Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Can't tell if serious.
Mar 1, 2008
756 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I have to admit, I might do this lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8221 posts
6705 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:17 pm
Can't tell if serious.
From what I've seen it's true that they target the plate. It's a great reflector and likely allows them to get you from further away.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9815 posts
4189 upvotes
Toronto
aznblade wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:26 pm
I have to admit, I might do this lol
And for good reason, looks great!

Maybe people should talk to the motorcycles about stupid placement.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9511 posts
3497 upvotes
Brampton
engineered wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:41 pm
From what I've seen it's true that they target the plate. It's a great reflector and likely allows them to get you from further away.
I unno, I've talk to guys on the force. They said there's guys that do that specifically just as place to aim or just trained that way. Other say it doesn't matter, once they got you they got you. The range advantage is negligible same with what the manufactures of the guns say.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8221 posts
6705 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:09 pm
I unno, I've talk to guys on the force. They said there's guys that do that specifically just as place to aim or just trained that way. Other say it doesn't matter, once they got you they got you. The range advantage is negligible same with what the manufactures of the guns say.
From my experience using laser and radar sensors/range finders in manufacturing, the surface makes a huge deal with range. ie. black paint is much worse than silver paint, and metal plate with reflective tape/paint is best.
Now maybe even with worst case black painted a cop can still get a reading at maximum range. In that case being more reflective doesn't help.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20200 posts
8981 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
What does X mean?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes
This thread is about license plates, not 3M tape. Can we please get back on topic?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20200 posts
8981 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
board123 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:08 pm
This thread is about license plates, not 3M tape. Can we please get back on topic?
lol I think you already maxed your downvotes for one thread. Best to just let it die.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9815 posts
4189 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:08 pm
Sorry mate. Again, plate relocation looks good.ImageImage
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 13th, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off topic portion of post
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10300 posts
5275 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bunch of pansies. I run without a front plate, bumper has never been drilled and never will be. Can't stand those plate brackets off to the side, might as well just have it centered. My front resides in the frunk permanently. Have passed by numerous cops and haven't been hassled *knocks on wood*. Watch me get pulled over now lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9840 posts
1794 upvotes
Montréal
EP32k2 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:20 pm
Bunch of pansies. I run without a front plate, bumper has never been drilled and never will be. Can't stand those plate brackets off to the side, might as well just have it centered. My front resides in the frunk permanently. Have passed by numerous cops and haven't been hassled *knocks on wood*. Watch me get pulled over now lol
Teach me how to be that brave! :D

Srsly, I wish I can do that, just like fearing going over 150, those damn cops lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10300 posts
5275 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tranquility922 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:24 pm
Teach me how to be that brave! :D

Srsly, I wish I can do that, just like fearing going over 150, those damn cops lol.
It also depends on the car quite frankly. Tons of exotics ran sans front plate. My car isn't an exotic, I also don't have tinted windows or drive like an idiot.

That said I'm seeing more and more ppl running without front plates. Seen a new mustang, S3, bunch of golf R's and M3/4

Thanks to those fools cops will probably start cracking down now.