• Dec 7th, 2018 10:43 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9840 posts
1794 upvotes
Montréal
EP32k2 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 4:27 pm
It also depends on the car quite frankly. Tons of exotics ran sans front plate. My car isn't an exotic, I also don't have tinted windows or drive like an idiot.
It also helps that there are Quebec visitors and I suppose that the cops can't be bothered to look closer since luckily our plates are kinda similar from a distance.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1100 posts
344 upvotes
SaskBerta
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 1:00 pm
Police in AB, SK, QC and maritimes must be going bankrupt with no front licence plate at all
I find SK rarely runs radar. AB has more, but still almost nothing in comparison to Ontario.
Radar detectors are also fully legal in SK, AB, and BC.

I have one. Theirs been times I've driven across SK. And not run into a single speed trap the whole distance of the TC. Other than obviously in Regina. Nice when I can fly down going 140 when I'm just trying to get back home.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
CanadaMaple wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 5:07 pm
I find SK rarely runs radar. AB has more, but still almost nothing in comparison to Ontario.
Radar detectors are also fully legal in SK, AB, and BC.

I have one. Theirs been times I've driven across SK. And not run into a single speed trap the whole distance of the TC. Other than obviously in Regina. Nice when I can fly down going 140 when I'm just trying to get back home.
Cops don't really use radar anymore, they use lidar instead. No way to detect those, or if you do it's often to late
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2734 posts
551 upvotes
Oshawa
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend, but based on my anecdotal evidence, there has been a recent surge in cars with off-center license plates. I see multiple offenders every day now.

This trend seriously needs to go away.
Multiple offenders? What the hell are you talking about???

The Mitsubishi Lancer gives you two options ... either slap in the middle of your grill or off to the side ...

What's your problem?
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1100 posts
344 upvotes
SaskBerta
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 6:05 pm
Cops don't really use radar anymore, they use lidar instead. No way to detect those, or if you do it's often to late
Out on this side of the country it's still mostly KA band from what I've seen. Some LIDAR on the photo radars. But my detector knows where they are before I hit them due to GPS.

My detector *does* detect LIDAR. But once you've been caught by it, you have about 3 seconds to slow down. Not enough time in most situations.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 10:19 pm
Multiple offenders? What the hell are you talking about???

The Mitsubishi Lancer gives you two options ... either slap in the middle of your grill or off to the side ...

What's your problem?
Sounds like you have an off center plate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23705 posts
10132 upvotes
Ottawa
I vote to get rid of the front plates alltogether.
Those two front license plate bolts can do some extensive damage to a rear bumper; even by a simply love tap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31379 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 6:05 pm
Nope.
"When your vehicle is hit with the laser of a LIDAR gun, a laser jammer detects the laser and sends out a laser with the same wavelength but higher intensity. This effectively confuses the LIDAR gun, resulting in an inaccurate speed or no speed at all."
http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/artic ... speed-gun/
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8468 posts
1848 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 12:52 pm
Nope.
"When your vehicle is hit with the laser of a LIDAR gun, a laser jammer detects the laser and sends out a laser with the same wavelength but higher intensity. This effectively confuses the LIDAR gun, resulting in an inaccurate speed or no speed at all."
http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/artic ... speed-gun/
Which is a slam dunked especially if the province was smart enough to ban the devices. Cops will still stop you, will find the jammer and now instead of a speeding ticket, you get a illegal device ticket or whatever it's called. Could be higher fine too, unless you were going 50km/h over which would be a car impoundment I believe
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31379 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 4:24 pm
Which is a slam dunked especially if the province was smart enough to ban the devices. Cops will still stop you, will find the jammer and now instead of a speeding ticket, you get a illegal device ticket or whatever it's called. Could be higher fine too, unless you were going 50km/h over which would be a car impoundment I believe
OK. Whatever you say.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Feb 15, 2016
118 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend, but based on my anecdotal evidence, there has been a recent surge in cars with off-center license plates. I see multiple offenders every day now.

This trend seriously needs to go away.
LOL you made my day, according to the traffic act as long as front license plate dipalyed there is no specific place where it has to be, again as long as it's mounted
Dec 10, 2007
425 posts
243 upvotes
Arviat
Off-center parking is what seriously needs to go away.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Sep 28, 2011
342 posts
84 upvotes
Lethbridge
board123 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:18 pm
Why does it matter if holes get drilled into the bumper if the license plate gets mounted on the holes?

Sorry, but that's like saying you don't believe in tooth fillings because it requires the dentist to drill into your tooth first.
It matters when you move from a province that has license plates on the front bumper to one that doesn't. It's ugly as hell with the screw holes and the bumper's all damaged.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11427 posts
1026 upvotes
angrydingo wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:12 pm
It matters when you move from a province that has license plates on the front bumper to one that doesn't. It's ugly as hell with the screw holes and the bumper's all damaged.
Again with the "moving" theory. Why is it that everyone who does this move drives a Lancer/Impreza/Mazda 3/BMW 3-series? How come Camry and Accord drivers don't ever move to other provinces?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8221 posts
6706 upvotes
Oakville
board123 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 11:04 pm
Again with the "moving" theory. Why is it that everyone who does this move drives a Lancer/Impreza/Mazda 3/BMW 3-series? How come Camry and Accord drivers don't ever move to other provinces?
People who drive Camry/Corolla/Accords don't care what their car looks like. It's an appliance to them. On sporty cars people tend to care about the way their cars look more, as they've paid for some style. They want to look different from most other cars, so they buy nice wheels, move their plates, etc.
There's also a cooling benefit to not blocking the radiator on some cars, especially if they've been tuned with an intercooler in front.