• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2017 2:14 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 23, 2013
363 posts
538 upvotes
N/A
I personally use Yak with Rogers Pay as you Go. I'm basically always connected to wifi. So I don't really have any use of data, but it's always an option.
Oct 23, 2012
2 posts
Montr
I got the same offer. Sounds expensive to me. 200 MB is nothing. It will gone within few days. I rather pay rogers extra $12 a month for an extra sim and share data with my son. He can use Facebook messenger or google hangouts to make free calls.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2467 posts
1082 upvotes
GTA
This seems like Freedompop in the States, but they give you calling and text and 500MB of data for FREE. and the calling and texts don't use your data so you get 500MB of data. Works the same with an APP on the phone, they use Sprints network in the states (CDMA)

They need to come here LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
roggers wrote: You do not need to get a prepaid plan. You can prepay for the amount of minutes you plan to use for that month. The data allocation can be paid for regardless of whether or not you have a plan.

I cannot speak for the issues you had and whether they attribute to your phone or the network. However, I am sure Rogers has checks and balances in place to ensure accurate monitoring of data down to the individual bytes pulled or sent.
Really?
There were 2 possibilities before.
1) They have a crappy system and hence the billing errors.
2) They do it intentionally.

Now that you ruled out the possibility of number 1.....
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Really?
There were 2 possibilities before.
1) They have a crappy system and hence the billing errors.
2) They do it intentionally.

Now that you ruled out the possibility of number 1.....
Oh please, I was with Rogers for 2 years with a 500MB plan and never once was billed for going over. Learn how to monitor your own data and stop blaming Rogers for everything. I don't normally defend the company but they're not intentionally billing people who didn't go over, people just don't understand their data and go over.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
213 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Oh please, I was with Rogers for 2 years with a 500MB plan and never once was billed for going over. Learn how to monitor your own data and stop blaming Rogers for everything. I don't normally defend the company but they're not intentionally billing people who didn't go over, people just don't understand their data and go over.
Rogers is known for billing error. Even intentionally. And they did not bill you because it was again a billing error.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
roggers wrote: You do not need to get a prepaid plan. You can prepay for the amount of minutes you plan to use for that month. The data allocation can be paid for regardless of whether or not you have a plan.

I cannot speak for the issues you had and whether they attribute to your phone or the network. However, I am sure Rogers has checks and balances in place to ensure accurate monitoring of data down to the individual bytes pulled or sent.
Color me dense, but I still do not quite follow. :confused:
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Jep4444 wrote: Oh please, I was with Rogers for 2 years with a 500MB plan and never once was billed for going over. Learn how to monitor your own data and stop blaming Rogers for everything. I don't normally defend the company but they're not intentionally billing people who didn't go over, people just don't understand their data and go over.
Well, I monitor my data usage via MyRogers. And over the past 6 - 8 months that I have been monitoring it, I never got the full 100MB (or 250MB as the case may be) before I would get a text from them saying that my data is all used up and I would be charged on a pay per use basis. So again, the issue comes down to whether their MyRogers data counter is faulty, or they are doing it intentionally, or a bit of both. The conspiracist in me thinks they want to "steer" people from prepaid data addons, to one of their insanely overpriced in-market Share-everything plans.
Jul 14, 2013
282 posts
138 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
treasureseeker3 wrote: Sounds like basically a $19/mo for 200MB prepaid cell data plan with a VOIP phone and SMS service (like Fongo)

No mention of data speed that I could find (eg 3G)

You buy more data in $19 for 200MB increments

$19 / mo x 12 months = $228 per year for 200 MB/mo x 12 months = 2.4 GB per year

As comparison for low data users: Tbaytel deal is 20 GB for $100 per year

Cue the people who think anything less than 2MB a month isn't enough :
Does Tbaytel have coverage in Toronto? I checked on their website and it doesn't look like it covers.
If it's not free, it's too expensive...
Jan 19, 2011
982 posts
322 upvotes
Montreal
Sepharite wrote: I would recommend Virgin's tablet plan. $20 for 1GB over this.
Does this work if you put a sim in a regular smartphone? ie. LG G3? I am with Virgin and carry a second data-less phone. Can I get this and put it into the G3 to use from time to time?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
supkhoa1 wrote: Does this work if you put a sim in a regular smartphone? ie. LG G3? I am with Virgin and carry a second data-less phone. Can I get this and put it into the G3 to use from time to time?
Yup. I currently have it in my mom's Galaxy S3 and it works perfectly HSPA (although I think LTE is enabled). You could get a secondary phone (with a fat extended battery) and use it as a wireless hotspot for your other phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
202 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Well, I monitor my data usage via MyRogers. And over the past 6 - 8 months that I have been monitoring it, I never got the full 100MB (or 250MB as the case may be) before I would get a text from them saying that my data is all used up and I would be charged on a pay per use basis. So again, the issue comes down to whether their MyRogers data counter is faulty, or they are doing it intentionally, or a bit of both. The conspiracist in me thinks they want to "steer" people from prepaid data addons, to one of their insanely overpriced in-market Share-everything plans.
You realize MyRogers on not real time right? I believe it doesn't show data used in last 24hrs
Oct 16, 2013
131 posts
50 upvotes
FREDERICTON
"Unlimited !!WIFI!! Talk" should be in the title. Otherwise this almost looks a scam.
Apr 17, 2015
332 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
ilmin wrote: I think talk/text roaming falls into 200mb data

at 'more info' page next to '200 MB of non-WIFI data'

---
NO WIFI?
NO PROBLEM.
When you're not in a WIFI zone, you'll still be able to talk for hours, send thousands of texts, and surf. Each $19 30-day plan includes 200 MB of non-WIFI Data.

WITH 200MB OF NON-WIFI DATA, YOU CAN:
Talk for up to 600 minutes; or
send up to 20,000 text messages; or

---

would be decent deal if 600 min 20000 text were seperate from 200mb quota
Right, I want to give my son a phone, this kind of deal is ideal.
Dec 23, 2015
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Sugar Mobile's service is terrible. I tried them out and their app won't work with my wifi even though my cellphone says that I have excellent signal strength. Their service is very unstable and only works with the data and you definitely don't get as much as 600 talk minutes and 20,000 texts out of 200 mb of data. I've turned off all the other apps that use data except for Sugar Mobile and used about 10 mb of data, sending only about 5 text messages. Their app seems to really eat data. Their customer service is even worse. It's practically non-existent because they are no help at all. I would not recommend you waste $19/mth on this service.
Dec 23, 2015
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
netusername wrote: DOes their app/whatever work reliably over whatever cellular data connection? That's the big question.
I've been using Sugar Mobile for about a month now and their service and the app is reliable. I haven't had any problems with it, and their customer service is pretty good. I had to contact customer service to help me with my call forwarding and I was able to get help right away. You text them and they text you back with the answer. I read an article online in which it says that Sugar Mobile uses Rogers' and Bell's network (that's the Tier 1 network they are talking about). There's only one thing I should warn you about which I learned the hard way, and that's you should restrict the background data on your other apps except the Sugar App when using data or it will eat through your data. Once I restricted the other apps (only when using data and not an issue when on wifi), the issue of burning through my data was resolved, and I actually used very little data. I checked out the other service providers mentioned in the above thread like Republic Wireless and they're only available in the U.S. and I googled teliphone and it's a limited, invitation-only beta testing that will launch sometime this year (no date given). So far, I like Sugar Mobile's service.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2393 posts
2116 upvotes
Waterloo
readingfanatic wrote: Sugar Mobile's service is terrible. I tried them out and their app won't work with my wifi even though my cellphone says that I have excellent signal strength. Their service is very unstable and only works with the data and you definitely don't get as much as 600 talk minutes and 20,000 texts out of 200 mb of data. I've turned off all the other apps that use data except for Sugar Mobile and used about 10 mb of data, sending only about 5 text messages. Their app seems to really eat data. Their customer service is even worse. It's practically non-existent because they are no help at all. I would not recommend you waste $19/mth on this service.
readingfanatic wrote: I've been using Sugar Mobile for about a month now and their service and the app is reliable. I haven't had any problems with it, and their customer service is pretty good. I had to contact customer service to help me with my call forwarding and I was able to get help right away. You text them and they text you back with the answer. I read an article online in which it says that Sugar Mobile uses Rogers' and Bell's network (that's the Tier 1 network they are talking about). There's only one thing I should warn you about which I learned the hard way, and that's you should restrict the background data on your other apps except the Sugar App when using data or it will eat through your data. Once I restricted the other apps (only when using data and not an issue when on wifi), the issue of burning through my data was resolved, and I actually used very little data. I checked out the other service providers mentioned in the above thread like Republic Wireless and they're only available in the U.S. and I googled teliphone and it's a limited, invitation-only beta testing that will launch sometime this year (no date given). So far, I like Sugar Mobile's service.
Wait, so is the service terrible or reliable?
Mar 10, 2010
156 posts
14 upvotes
York
superfigz wrote: Wait, so is the service terrible or reliable?
Depends on the time of month for readingfanatic
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
roggers wrote: You can get 250MB data for $15/mo. from Rogers Pay As You Go. Previously they've even given out free SIM cards to share with family and friends. You don't need to top up minutes, just pay for the data and use Fongo (iPhone or Android) or TextNow (WP). You get about the same amount of text messages or minutes with these apps.
Do you know if I can get the 250MB for $15 for postpaid plans?
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3566 posts
1644 upvotes
Brampton
zjhehe wrote: Does Tbaytel have coverage in Toronto? I checked on their website and it doesn't look like it covers.
right here sir, happy reading :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)