PC & Video Games

Suggest an Arcade/MAME forum - looking for info on joysticks and such.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2014 12:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2756 posts
867 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote: Are you using PinMAME for those pinball machines?
Nope, they are all the real deal.
Feb 9, 2008
712 posts
80 upvotes
I would suggest getting a Xtension Two Player Control Board with Sanwa parts. I know $350 seems expensive but when you consider it cost $100-$150 for one player arcade sticks ("Fightsticks") that aren't on the same board, and don't fit into the Xtension units perfectly. I know you can use them on the self on some units, it won't be sturdy, streamlined, and have a clean look. Making your own is cheaper, but making your own box requires wood work and electrical wiring and testing.

Must be nice to live in Toronto and have support and help. This guy is charging a lot for preconfigured hard drives http://www.homearcadesystems.com/index. ... ured-works
I still use Winamp to play downloaded mp3 files
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
meanstreetjd wrote: I would suggest getting a Xtension Two Player Control Board with Sanwa parts. I know $350 seems expensive but when you consider it cost $100-$150 for one player arcade sticks ("Fightsticks") that aren't on the same board, and don't fit into the Xtension units perfectly. I know you can use them on the self on some units, it won't be sturdy, streamlined, and have a clean look. Making your own is cheaper, but making your own box requires wood work and electrical wiring and testing.
I've actually been seriously thinking of getting one of those. The only turn-off is the price... probably because I was first introduced to the Tankstick and it's half the price of the Xtension controller. Having said that, there are a lot of negatives that I deem to be dealbreakers that are a part of the Tankstick experience ;
  • Poor or non-existing support... in spite of their so-called lifetime warranty.
  • A dreaded and strange simultaneous 6-button press limitation in USB mode.
  • Although it features PS/2 support, people have reported that not every motherboard or add-on card detects it.
  • Poor quality parts. Buttons are cheap and the joystick needs to be completely on the outer edge to register a command.
  • In spite of them claiming that it supports all consoles, some versions of the PS2 don't detect it. X-Arcade's stance on this is "too bad."
Too bad because the price is certainly much more attractive. However, I want my arcade to look very nice, since it'll be the jewel of my Man-Cave and I plan on keeping this thing for many *many* years to come. I'll eventually swing by mwong168's place and test a few different joysticks and buttons to see which ones I prefer. Awfully nice of him to suggest this.
meanstreetjd wrote: Must be nice to live in Toronto and have support and help. This guy is charging a lot for preconfigured hard drives http://www.homearcadesystems.com/index. ... ured-works
I've done some reading on Chris Upchurch, the guy who sells these and he's a scammer. Basically, he stole some artwork, themes, and screenshots made by members of the Hyperspin msg board community and claimed them as his own. Did some additional research on him and though he claims to offer lifetime warranty on the configuration, he doesn't respond to emails from users experiencing issues. Moreover, it's apparently an absolute mess. Half the ROMs don't work and he has a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit versions of various emulators, which end up only working if the user has a 64-bit OS.

At the price he's charging, he should be ashamed of himself, but guys like that will always be around.

I've also found torrents of pre-configured Hyperspin packages for various emulators. Just the themes, videos, and box art for one console can be roughly 90gb! Anyway, I'm seeing that there are alternatives to paying a guy that handsomly for what is essentially stuff that was stolen from others... and without even giving credit. Not cool, IMHO.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
wow still alive and kicking. this is nice.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Well, these cabs don't look like they're finished at all. If you're OK with that, they seem like cheap and affordable cabinets.

However, something that I find a little unnerving is seeing that they don't even have a website up, yet. A post stated the website would be open soon. That was in February! Just pointing it out so that you are aware of this before ordering.
Sep 6, 2006
688 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
yeah its an unfinished kit. i have to put them together, i just dont want to do the cutting/measuring.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
No, what I meant is that they're not painted, varnished, etc.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5933 upvotes
I've been playing around with Hyperspin just for a living room HTPC, previously I was just using my emulators in Steam Big Picture Mode. It is difficult to wrap my head around everything, it can be a convoluted at times. My question though is how do I exit out of an emulator back to the main Hyperspin menu? I'd like to "bind" the Xbox 360 controller guide button to doing this but can't seem to find a method.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I've been playing around with Hyperspin just for a living room HTPC, previously I was just using my emulators in Steam Big Picture Mode. It is difficult to wrap my head around everything, it can be a convoluted at times. My question though is how do I exit out of an emulator back to the main Hyperspin menu? I'd like to "bind" the Xbox 360 controller guide button to doing this but can't seem to find a method.
I doubt you'll get much help here in that regard, Redmask.

RFD is too big a community that isn't focused on this sort of topic. I'd recommend you visit the Hyperspin forums in order to find an entire community dedicated to helping people with questions like this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
StratMangler wrote: Well, these cabs don't look like they're finished at all. If you're OK with that, they seem like cheap and affordable cabinets.

However, something that I find a little unnerving is seeing that they don't even have a website up, yet. A post stated the website would be open soon. That was in February! Just pointing it out so that you are aware of this before ordering.
In the arcade world, saying "coming soon" on a website for years is par for the course. A lot of these are just people doing it on the side and so getting bartops shipped out to customers is more important to them than getting the website running.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)