• Mar 28th, 2020 12:03 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
544 posts
170 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario

Suggest me a good OBDII reader?

Hey guys,

The check engine light on my gf's Chevy Cruze just came on and I want to be able to read the codes by myself instead of running around to a garage to get them. Any suggestions for a good OBDII reader? I've seen the newer ones that work with your cellphone via bluetooth...do you guys use them? I'm open to suggestions but would prefer newer tech that works with your phone and it has to be able to read Mercedes check engine lights as well (in case mine pops up one day).

TIA!
27 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13152 posts
7468 upvotes
Toronto
I use some $30 unit - Veepeak Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android - from Amazon and torque app all via bluetooth.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4567 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
I am using $10 generic blue elm 327 from Amazon. With torque app, it is able to connect and read from '03 nissan to '18 mb. Didn't work with one '17 mb.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
544 posts
170 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
koffey wrote: I use some $30 unit - Veepeak Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android - from Amazon and torque app all via bluetooth.
Looks good but I'm using an iPhone :(
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31138 posts
16892 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm using an OBDLink MX.
It's of the more expensive adaptor, but you are able to access module programming.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
544 posts
170 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Ordered. So do these adapters come with the app? Or I have to choose one?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9387 posts
4105 upvotes
6ix
Potrice wrote: Ordered. So do these adapters come with the app? Or I have to choose one?
U can choose any ODB2 App from Appstore.

But from the Veepeak product page, it says

Compatible iOS & Android Apps (may require separate purchase):
OBD Fusion - Check engine light diagnostics, live sensor reading plus enhanced diagnostics for Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles.
DashCommand - Live sensor reading, check engine light diagnostics plus extended PIDs for some makes.
CAR SCANNER ELM OBD2 - See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more! (most features for free)
Dash - Drive smarter, safer and greener plus check engine light diagnostics (free).
TripLog - Track your vehicle mileage.
Carista OBD2 - Diagnose, customize, and service your car (dealer-level technology for Audi, VW, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc).
OBD Auto Doctor - Check engine light diagnostics.
TrackAddict - Smartphone Race Timing and Video+Data Acquisition.
LeafSpy – For Nissan Leaf owners to monitor the battery and other vehicle information normally visible only to the dealer.
BimmerCode - Coding your BMW or Mini made simple.
Torque Pro (Android only) - Popular vehicle performance, sensors and diagnostics tool plus lots of plugins to get powerful functions.
Koodo $40 8GB
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
544 posts
170 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
McLaren__F1 wrote: U can choose any ODB2 App from Appstore.

But from the Veepeak product page, it says

Compatible iOS & Android Apps (may require separate purchase):
OBD Fusion - Check engine light diagnostics, live sensor reading plus enhanced diagnostics for Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles.
DashCommand - Live sensor reading, check engine light diagnostics plus extended PIDs for some makes.
CAR SCANNER ELM OBD2 - See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more! (most features for free)
Dash - Drive smarter, safer and greener plus check engine light diagnostics (free).
TripLog - Track your vehicle mileage.
Carista OBD2 - Diagnose, customize, and service your car (dealer-level technology for Audi, VW, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc).
OBD Auto Doctor - Check engine light diagnostics.
TrackAddict - Smartphone Race Timing and Video+Data Acquisition.
LeafSpy – For Nissan Leaf owners to monitor the battery and other vehicle information normally visible only to the dealer.
BimmerCode - Coding your BMW or Mini made simple.
Torque Pro (Android only) - Popular vehicle performance, sensors and diagnostics tool plus lots of plugins to get powerful functions.
Thank you sir!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2045 posts
273 upvotes
Canada
Mine is Innova from Canadian tire... it's a handheld unit which I prefer over ones that need your phone to display details. They go on sale often for 50% off.
Jul 17, 2009
801 posts
259 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Autel AutoLink AL319 $50, super quick and easy to use, gives you freeze frame data which can be quite useful. It doesn't record boost level or work on ABS tho.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31138 posts
16892 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: what is the module programming for?

Is it like Carista where I can change various car settings?
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4- ... rista.html
With Ford, it allows access to IDS programming using software Forscan.
I was able to activate and disable several features, that would have otherwise been a min $150 "diagnostic" charge at the dealership.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12921 posts
4595 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote: what is the module programming for?

Is it like Carista where I can change various car settings?
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4- ... rista.html
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm also looking for a good OBD2 reader that is compatible with my 2019 RAV4 (and 2009 Honda Fit). The Carista reader & app requires a yearly subscription which is quite pricey. Are there any other apps on iOS that would work with the Carista reader? It's important to be able to change car settings on the 2019 RAV4.