• May 24th, 2017 11:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1349 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Suggest a monopod for me

I'm travelling to Peru and will need a monopod for the trip for my DSLR. My biggest lens will just be a wide angle Tokina 11-16.

I'd like something lightweight, sturdy and around $100. Is there a benefit of carbon fibre over aluminum?

I'll probably also use it as a hiking/walking stick as well.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1361 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Might be hard to achieve with that budget.

Using a tripod too or no? Purpose of the monopod? For tracking or for use throughout the trip like at night also?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8914 posts
3247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Monopods help support heavy telephoto lenses, and they are useful in tight places or those that don't allow tripods. They might give you an extra stop or two in terms of shutter speed adding to any IBS or lens IS advantages, consider base reference of 1/focal to start. BUT they cannot replace a rock steady tripod, therefore they are ineffective for long exposures like waterfalls or bracketing multiple exposures, your slightest shift will cause blur. A 20s astro shot is impossible with a monopod.
They are marginally better than technique such as bracing the camera plus your left hand against a tree or fence, or steadying yourself with the camera pressed against your face>taking a breath in>hold>shoot. John Greengo has a chart comparing shutter speeds proving that.

imho, they just add weight to a hike.
You sure you want one?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1361 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
It's better to invest money into a good travel tripod if you don't already have one.

However, if you want a monopod, there are stabilized options from Benro and Sirui.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1349 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rebel_rfd wrote:
May 12th, 2017 4:49 pm
Might be hard to achieve with that budget.

Using a tripod too or no? Purpose of the monopod? For tracking or for use throughout the trip like at night also?
No tripod, I figured it would be too heavy for the hike. If I do get a tripod, I'd like to use the tripod once I'm back from my trip too though so I wouldn't want a flimsy small one just for this trip.
I figured a monopod would be better even just to take regular photos of landscape and people. Is it not worth it to bring one up with me? It won't be used for tracking.

I felt the Sirui P-326 in Carbon fibre and aluminum and the carbon fibre one feels amazing and sturdy.

I think partly too why I want a monopod is because I'm joining a trekking tour so I will have to take quick pics as opposed to setting up a tripod,etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1361 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
stovetop wrote:
May 12th, 2017 6:32 pm

No tripod, I figured it would be too heavy for the hike. If I do get a tripod, I'd like to use the tripod once I'm back from my trip too though so I wouldn't want a flimsy small one just for this trip.
I figured a monopod would be better even just to take regular photos of landscape and people. Is it not worth it to bring one up with me? It won't be used for tracking.

I felt the Sirui P-326 in Carbon fibre and aluminum and the carbon fibre one feels amazing and sturdy.

I think partly too why I want a monopod is because I'm joining a trekking tour so I will have to take quick pics as opposed to setting up a tripod,etc.
I was in the same predicament since I was travelling with friends who didn't want to wait on me to setup and take pics.

I went with the Three Legged Thing line of tripods since it's pretty fast to set up plus folds down very compact and relatively lightweight.

However if I had to go monopod, I would have went with the Sirui.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1349 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hmm..now I'm thinking if a tripod would be a better buy in the long term as I could do more with it.

what are some good tripods that are lightweight? I'm also 6' tall so I don't really want anything that has a max height of less than 55".
I saw some Sirui ones on B&H Photo that are carbon fibre and only around 2lbs.
Others I've seen from Manfrotto, etc are in the 3-4lb range.
Apr 27, 2015
13 posts
Toronto, ON
stovetop wrote:
May 12th, 2017 3:05 pm
I'm travelling to Peru and will need a monopod for the trip for my DSLR. My biggest lens will just be a wide angle Tokina 11-16.

I'd like something lightweight, sturdy and around $100. Is there a benefit of carbon fibre over aluminum?

I'll probably also use it as a hiking/walking stick as well.
You may take a look at ebay. I found Professional Tripods and Monopods for Travel Camera that might be suitable to Canon and Nikon DSLR.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8914 posts
3247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
There are Mefoto clones on eBay for around $100, the Roadtrip size is the one I would get. However, I prefer latch locks over twist locks and love my Manfrotto BeFree.

Apr 10, 2008
136 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Benro carbon monopod and a Sirui traveller carbon tripod

1.1lbs, no head vs 1.45lbs, including a real ball head.

The only advantage of the monopod was that is cost half as much. I never use it anymore. Never.

- - - -

Also, if you're new to trekking poles, you really need one for each leg. Two legs, two arms, two poles. A single pole could be useful to aid in crossing a stream, but not for walking.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8914 posts
3247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I actually use my monopod a lot (or my assistant does) like this:

Or I take it to my kids' plays and recitals, shoot some stabilized video from my seat between pics, a tripod being too big.

I also use it as a crane attached my gimbal for moving up height shots.

And I got one of these for $20 as a base.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1905 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
AncasterRFD wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 10:51 pm
I actually use my monopod a lot (or my assistant does) like this:

Or I take it to my kids' plays and recitals, shoot some stabilized video from my seat between pics, a tripod being too big.

I also use it as a crane attached my gimbal for moving up height shots.

And I got one of these for $20 as a base.
Mind me asking where you found the base?
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8914 posts
3247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bvit6667 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 9:12 am
Mind me asking where you found the base?
eBay links here.

I was going to buy Manfrotto's until I saw this vid. Tape the monopod base like he did.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4145 posts
433 upvotes
Monopod + wide angle lens.... do you have Parkinson's?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel