Parenting

Suggestion for 4 year old's birthday party?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2007 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 4, 2004
468 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville

Suggestion for 4 year old's birthday party?

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for my daughter's 4 year birthday party? We don't want 12-15 kids running around our house, so we'd rather rent out a party place or something.

She was invited to a party at Loblaws where the kids get to cook a pizza and decorate a cake. That was really cool, but I don't want to copy that idea, (I want to do something where the other parents haven't already done) so back to the drawing board...

Any suggestions????
26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3716 posts
127 upvotes
How about booking a place at the Mad Hatter? When I was a kid use to have parties there, it was fun as a kid, but now when I look back upon it, it was actually pretty ghetto. ie - riding around in shopping carts, pillow fights in the strobe light room.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes
Last year we rented a room at the Delta Chelsea for the family. They have the waterslide, a preschool playroom and an arcade if you have older kids and had a special room rate for under $100. Went to Swiss Chalet 2 doors down and checked out the ROM after 4:30 or 5 when it's free. I figure if I'm spending a mint for her birthday that she won't remember with 4 other kids (that's all we know her age) then why not everyone in the family have fun instead? It was a blast!
However, if you want to do a party i would recommend picking up a free City Parent paper or check this out..lots of ideas both places.
http://www.toronto4kids.com/
Or there's Build A Bear at Square One..
I'm in the same boat, she's 4 in April so I can't do the outdoors thing which is much easier. And there still only 4 kids I need to invite..
Apr 6, 2004
954 posts
28 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
Most cities should have play house style businesses where parents can bring their kids to play with other kids. This isn't a daycare in that you don't drop your kids off, but instead it lets them play in a huge area with climbing equipment, various 'sets' (like a pirate ship at one place near me), etc. These pretty much all have birthday packages that are pretty economical.

Other alternatives include having a party at the local bowling alley or gymnasium club. One gym club near me had a great facility where the four-five year olds would trot one after the other and go through various obstacles (like jumping off a three foot ramp into a cushioned mat, going through a tube, etc) and my son loved that for his four year party.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
2011 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Depends where you are. Over by my place they have a play place, that I see a lot of kid's parties. There is also Chukie Cheese
"The beatings will continue until morale improves". :twisted:

"There are those who make things happen. Those who watch things happen. And finally those who sit and wonder what the 'hell' happened!"
Jan 10, 2006
118 posts
Well if you live in the GTA (not sure if you do or not) and if you are having an all girls party, the La Senza/La Senza Girl (the main store says La Senza but its actually a combination of the two) at Vaughan Mills actually has a large party room for such events. All the girls get gift bags, cake and they get to sing karaoke and such. You'll have to call the store to ask for pricing and more details however.

I know its odd, but the girls (I've never really seen any little boys at the parties...probably because they can go to the Nascar Speedway) seem to have tons of fun. Also the staff are really friendly. Its just an interesting alternative...personally I'm not sure if I would have a party there, with Chuckie Cheese and Nascar Speedway opening up nearby and all.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34257 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
wat about chucky cheese?
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Oct 11, 2004
294 posts
Toronto
McLaren wrote:How about booking a place at the Mad Hatter? When I was a kid use to have parties there, it was fun as a kid, but now when I look back upon it, it was actually pretty ghetto. ie - riding around in shopping carts, pillow fights in the strobe light room.
Ghetto, not to mention dangerous. Someone always ended up getting hurt. I remember those shopping carts used to flip over, spilling kids all over the place.

Good times, though hehe.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5554 posts
70 upvotes
insanity wrote:Depends where you are. Over by my place they have a play place, that I see a lot of kid's parties. There is also Chukie Cheese
chuckie cheese "D
Oct 12, 2004
659 posts
1 upvote
Just don't do what donny don't does... hire a stripper.
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
We just went to a kids party at Lil Explorers in Markham/Richmond Hill.

It is a indoor playroom/gym for kids from 2-12 years.
It has a large apparatus in the play room that was very popular with our kids.

If you are interested, let me know and I can find the contact number for you. I have their pamplet in the car right now.
Sep 21, 2003
491 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
You can go to:
- an indoor amusement park or gym;
- an art school where they paint a pottery then eat cake
- an animal or nature museum where they have a tour and then snack in a party room
- rent a room in a community center and hire a clown or magician.

For 4 year old, 2.5 hours is enough: a craft or activity, snack and cake, and opening presents. 12-15 preschoolers is rather a lot to manage. Do you plan to have parents drop off or stick around?

We are planning on having a party at home for my 6 year old: Invite the 7 girls in her class for 3 hours, have a craft or cookie decorating, snack, cake and then presents.

For my 4 year old, we are renting the playroom of the church for 3 hours, inviting our friends and their kiddies (8 families), free play, face painting, serve lunch, then presents.

I just went to a few of these and the presents were just insane. I'm asking people to put a 5$ limit: markers, craft paper, Ello or Clickits, that sort of thing. I hate the consumerism of it and the kid surrounded by wrapping paper and presents.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2004
468 posts
4 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I'm in the West end (Mississauga/Oakville/Burlington)...

Some great ideas, I'll have to investigate some :)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1671 posts
31 upvotes
I'm bumping this thread for my little girl who's 4 in April. I love the $5 limit idea. Any suggestions for the Ottawa area.
× < >