Fashion & Beauty

Suggestion for a faux leather briefcase/bag?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2015 10:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes

Suggestion for a faux leather briefcase/bag?

Okay folks, so I want to buy a nice "faux" or fake leather briefcase/shoulder bag that could store the following with ease, plus a bunch of other requirements.

1) Should be able to fit a 13" Macbook pro in one compartment
2) A Nexus 7 tablet in another compartment
3) Wired mouse, macbook pro charger in another compartment
4) Lunch, bottle of water in another compartment. As for the lunch it will be in a rectangular Ziploc container as I only take sandwiches and a bottle of water for lunch.

So the above are all what the briefcase/shoulder bag should accommodate. Now onto the specs I guess?

1) Price wise - $70 to $120, maybe pushing it to $150? Obviously don't want to go that high? Should I not get something that pricey since I will be commuting and possible chances it may get dirty in the subway/streetcar or some dingbat messing it up somehow?

2) Good quality that will last me say a good while?

3) Color doesn't matter? I guess black, brown or burgundy would be my top choices of color.

4) Brands I am not sure but I have heard of Bugatti (Staples) or Bond Leather.

5) A shoulder strap would be nice.

Basically I want to be able to comfortably fit the above things I listed earlier comfortably and be able to carry it with ease to my best.

Thanks guys!
Blanka
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1195 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
at that price, you're not going to get real leather but simulated

this one isn't bad at all, http://www.staples.ca/en/Targus-16-inch ... CA_1_20001
it's a briefcase though. if you're looking more at a messenger bag that doubles as a laptop case, there's always mexx and their $60 messenger fake leather bag
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
twinkie83 wrote: at that price, you're not going to get real leather but simulated

this one isn't bad at all, http://www.staples.ca/en/Targus-16-inch ... CA_1_20001
it's a briefcase though. if you're looking more at a messenger bag that doubles as a laptop case, there's always mexx and their $60 messenger fake leather bag
Hmm how much will I be looking at real leather in terms of budget?

Okay changed the title :razz:
Blanka
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1195 posts
144 upvotes
Montreal
for your need, you're looking for at least $200+ if you're looking to buy new

second hand, especially vintage, it can be decently priced. you can look on etsy for example
Sep 3, 2010
300 posts
150 upvotes
http://www.navali.com/bags/leather-mainstay.html

Real leather. Nicely built, especially for the price. Can fit a 13in MBP, Nexus 7, peripherals and a lunch (but maybe not all individually in compartments). Comes with lifetime warranty.

There's probably a discount or something on their site. They always have a cheaper canvas version.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
iamaaronlol wrote: http://www.navali.com/bags/leather-mainstay.html

Real leather. Nicely built, especially for the price. Can fit a 13in MBP, Nexus 7, peripherals and a lunch (but maybe not all individually in compartments). Comes with lifetime warranty.

There's probably a discount or something on their site. They always have a cheaper canvas version.
I like this one and priced nicely as well. May get it shipped to the US to save on shipping. Do they ship to Canada? If so what are the rates like?
Blanka
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
djemzine wrote: I like this one and priced nicely as well. May get it shipped to the US to save on shipping. Do they ship to Canada? If so what are the rates like?
Flat fee according to the website. Been looking for one recently as well, I've mainly used backpacks but seem out of place when I meet clients. Formal wear plus backpack is off haha.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I would stay away from faux leather...the material will eventually crack and be unusable. Why not pay a bit more for something that will last for years and years? I was looking at getting this one:
http://www.amazon.ca/Briggs-Riley-VB411 ... riley+verb

Not sure where to get it cheaper but they have a terrific warranty.
Jan 12, 2014
11 posts
djemzine wrote: Okay folks, so I want to buy a nice "faux" or fake leather briefcase/shoulder bag that could store the following with ease, plus a bunch of other requirements.

1) Should be able to fit a 13" Macbook pro in one compartment
2) A Nexus 7 tablet in another compartment
3) Wired mouse, macbook pro charger in another compartment
4) Lunch, bottle of water in another compartment. As for the lunch it will be in a rectangular Ziploc container as I only take sandwiches and a bottle of water for lunch.

So the above are all what the briefcase/shoulder bag should accommodate. Now onto the specs I guess?

1) Price wise - $70 to $120, maybe pushing it to $150? Obviously don't want to go that high? Should I not get something that pricey since I will be commuting and possible chances it may get dirty in the subway/streetcar or some dingbat messing it up somehow?

2) Good quality that will last me say a good while?

3) Color doesn't matter? I guess black, brown or burgundy would be my top choices of color.

4) Brands I am not sure but I have heard of Bugatti (Staples) or Bond Leather.

5) A shoulder strap would be nice.

Basically I want to be able to comfortably fit the above things I listed earlier comfortably and be able to carry it with ease to my best.

Thanks guys!
MEC have a good collection of bags, not leather though. The price is reasonable, and they last for a very loooong time, I have one, excellent material.

http://www.mec.ca/shop/courier-messenger-bags/50582/

RedCode
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Well it seems I got a leather bag today that's just the right size from Danier. Was on sale for $129 marked down and its pretty good quality and 1 year warranty of course which covers any workmanship and such.

Will post a pic later. So I guess it was slightly over my budget by $9 lol as the max was $120. Danier stuff is real or fake leather?
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
For cheap and real leather in a retail store, Danier seems to be the only way to go.

Looking forward to pictures and enjoy your bag, as you may find the thing about real leather is it will get more beautiful and smooth as the age, assuming you take care of it.
djemzine wrote: Well it seems I got a leather bag today that's just the right size from Danier. Was on sale for $129 marked down and its pretty good quality and 1 year warranty of course which covers any workmanship and such.

Will post a pic later. So I guess it was slightly over my budget by $9 lol as the max was $120. Danier stuff is real or fake leather?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 12, 2008
580 posts
201 upvotes
Hamilton, on
Danier leather have some nice REAL leather ones. If you got to one of the outlets you can score one for 125 easily.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)