Home & Garden

Suggestion for Furnace and AC purchase/install. Any suggestions or promos around?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2012 8:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 7, 2011
204 posts
29 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

Suggestion for Furnace and AC purchase/install. Any suggestions or promos around?

Hi there, I'm not very knowledgeable at all about the subject of heating and cooling for a house so I'm in need of some assistance here!

My setup had its checkup a few days ago and apparently I am due for a replacement of both the furnace, and air conditioning unit. My bills in the summer were through the roof (higher than normal) and it gave me the tip that there may be something wrong.

We are currently subscribers with Reliance and they were the ones that came in and quoted us on a rent to own "Smart Air System Package" which is 149.99/month + HST with:

-8 months free rental
-$650 Gov't Rebate
-Free Installation

Over 7 years

Rental includes:
Annual maintenance, no charge repairs*, annual replacement of filter cartridge (smart air media filter), uv bulbs, humidifier water pad (smart air pulse humidifier)

This is the only quote I've gotten so far but am curious to know if this is even a good deal? Has anyone encountered Reliance or other companies?

Any help or experience sharing would greatly be appreciated.

Any more info that is needed please ask and I will also provide. Thanks in advance!
3 replies
Jan 11, 2008
630 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Flags are going up since coincidentally the company reaches out to you after someone comes in saying "you need a new system".

How old is your current setup? Was there anything that could have impacted your heating/cooling costs besides out-of-date equipment (like time-of-use charges or warmer/colder temperatures than normal)? Why did you have the check-up in the first place? Was there something wrong at first, or were you just trying to see if there was a reason why your heating/cooling costs were higher?

From the sounds of it, they are trying to sell you a huge package that includes air purification, air conditioning, and furnace. It might be value to some, but others it might be a waste of money. At that rate, here's what I'm thinking:

If no discount: $149.99 + HST = $169.49 per month

$169.49 * 12 = $2,033.88

I'm not sure why 7 years is a factor...but, over 7 years, you would paid out $14,237.16. Net out 8 months of incentive ($1,199.22), and the $650 in rebate, and you're looking at just over $12,387 over that time. I haven't thought of the potential savings because of a newer system, but that sure is a lot of money :o

With the maintenance, I'm not sure whether it's an actual value. I can't see a maintenance check being more than $200 a year. Or what kind of media is being used in the filtration. Besides, is the $149.99+tax fixed throughout the term? What happens after 7 years are up? Do you have to buy out the unit? Do you get a new one? If Reliance raises its rental rates, does it mean you pay more?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
777 upvotes
North York
One thing to also ask about is the warrantee. Call around and inquire about warrantee promos.

Somethimes, the manufacturers will include a 10 year warrantee in their equipement as a promotion. A salesperson told me at the time, most of the makes were similar (furnace/AC). He said he would normally recommend the vendor whom had the warrantee promo at the time.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2775 posts
969 upvotes
intellekt wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 6:59 pm
My setup had its checkup a few days ago and apparently I am due for a replacement of both the furnace, and air conditioning unit. My bills in the summer were through the roof (higher than normal) and it gave me the tip that there may be something wrong.

You are ONLY "due for a replacement" of your furnace when it stops functioning, and cannot be repaired economically, same is true for your air conditioner. Higher than normal bills are not an indication that either your AC or your furnace is in need of replacement. They do not consume more power or fuel as they approach failure.
intellekt wrote:
We are currently subscribers with Reliance and they were the ones that came in and quoted us on a rent to own "Smart Air System Package" which is 149.99/month + HST with:
-8 months free rental
-$650 Gov't Rebate
-Free Installation
Over 7 years

$12600 plus HST over seven years is a bit steep, do you own the system outright after that? You could get everything installed as described for well under $10,000
intellekt wrote:
This is the only quote I've gotten so far but am curious to know if this is even a good deal? Has anyone encountered Reliance or other companies?

Any help or experience sharing would greatly be appreciated.

Any more info that is needed please ask and I will also provide. Thanks in advance!
It is not a good deal, nor a particularly bad deal... But I have to tell you that furnaces and AC units are only in need of replacement when they are dead, and cannot be cost effectively repaired. You, and Reliance, and any technician cannot tell you with any chance of certainty how long either component will last
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!