Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 20, 2007
305 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

suggestion on getting into a 3yr / 30 day plan

I told my mom to move over to a bell 22$ corp plan from fido 43$. She wants to go on a 3ry plan just to save a few bucks but i against it. Im planning to purchase her online a $200+ dual core phone (nexus, s2 lte, atrix etc). This will allow her to switch smartphone on yearly basis (buy the other, sell the other).

Do you think a voice plan on a 3yr plan worth it?
on a 3 yr she does get the upgrade for low price right?
what is your situation?
I want to get her the s3. Do you think the s3 will drop around $250 range after the launch of galaxy s4?

thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4279 posts
409 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
I would usually just say no to any sort of contract. However, if you don't think she'll be switching plans within the next 3 years, I don't see the harm of getting a subsidized phone in the process (that you could potentially sell, since you're getting her a cheaper smartphone).
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3579 posts
472 upvotes
If she can get on a $22 plan with a subsidy on a phone for 3 years... I say take it
Oct 27, 2010
35 posts
Richmond
always best to see what your current carrier can do for you first through the retentions department. Have the information with you of what the plan is that you are considering and see what your carrier can do.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2357 posts
378 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Don't just hate the contract just because it's called a contract.

But we need more info. What does the $22 Bell plan give you? If it's treated as a data plan, and allows you to get a high-end smartphone like an iphone 5, Galaxy SIII, RAZR HD, etc. then I'd say without a doubt, take the contract. If that's just a standard voice plan, then no, buy your own phone. The only time IMO to go on contract is getting an expensive phone with a great smartphone deal. Otherwise it's usually just not worth it.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2007
305 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
amace wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 3:01 pm
Don't just hate the contract just because it's called a contract.

But we need more info. What does the $22 Bell plan give you? If it's treated as a data plan, and allows you to get a high-end smartphone like an iphone 5, Galaxy SIII, RAZR HD, etc. then I'd say without a doubt, take the contract. If that's just a standard voice plan, then no, buy your own phone. The only time IMO to go on contract is getting an expensive phone with a great smartphone deal. Otherwise it's usually just not worth it.

The 22$ plan consists of
250min
unlt text, incoming, 6pm
call id
voice mail
.15 cents/min to US

No data. Like you said if a bell voice plan offers high end phone for cheap rate then a contract is no problem. Bell charges 400$+ for majority of high end phone on voice and i dont see that changing in the future.

Bell does offer 0$ for galaxy nexus, atrix hd, htc one s, htc raider and optimums lg lte. Thats where i become picky as most of those dual core phone are obsolete and just not good in my view. Im really hoping for the S3 to go down after s4 comes out.