• Dec 12th, 2012 7:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes

Suggestion needed: iphone 5 plans based on my situation

im looking to finally grab an iphone 5 16G for the longest time.
but i don't know whats the provider for me as i don't have much experience over it.
looking for good suggestions from the experienced?

so should i first
1. get unlocked version from online for 700$+ in canada
(or from usa for less tax, but i don't know if they have unlocked on apple.com), suggestions would be good
and pick any provider i want (hopefully less than 50 a month)

2. pick rogers/bell/telus(don't know which one is better), and get the 165$ and on a contract for 3 years(50$+/mo)

The plan for me,
Minute: i don't really need a lot of min, 100min or less, i'd prefer those 20c/min plan they had with wind mobile.
Data: don't need a lot either, i can get wifi most of the time.

My situation,
and i travel oversea a lot, so i want to be able to suspend the phone anytime i want without any contract to hog me. or a plan that has no monthly if i don't use it would be great.
I'm using a windmobile plan that has 0$/monthly for unlimited receive and only charge me when i call.
so this is a great plan for me when i travel oversea. sadly they don't support iphone5

so whats the cheapest and most costeffective plan and provider is right for me?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9378 posts
1942 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
First, you can now buy them unlocked from Apple retail stores in Canada and the US. If you travel to the US a lot, you might consider buying it down there to save the taxes, especially if you travel to a state with no sales tax.

Second, if you do travel a lot and need it to be unlocked, then go with any carrier. Regardless of what carrier you choose, I would suggest that you don't need a plan at all. Since Wind's prepaid works for you (other than no iPhone) look for a prepaid that offers similar pricing. You could consider Presidents Choice Mobile, which runs on Bell's network. Their prepaid rate is $0.20/minute. If you need very small amounts of data, then they also have $10/100MB which is comparable to other Robellus rates.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
i went to US last month and asked an apple store. they told me no apple store carries unlocked iphone5 in the state. so i guess the only way is to get it online?

does president choice mobile prepaid support iphone with unlimited receive too?
if its similar to what wind offers, then ill jump right on it with iphone. hopefully data is on a fast network too?

i also looked into koodo, it seems to be the best locked phone purchase/plan in the market nowadays?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9378 posts
1942 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
mytalk wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 8:54 am
i went to US last month and asked an apple store. they told me no apple store carries unlocked iphone5 in the state. so i guess the only way is to get it online?

does president choice mobile prepaid support iphone with unlimited receive too?
if its similar to what wind offers, then ill jump right on it with iphone. hopefully data is on a fast network too?

i also looked into koodo, it seems to be the best locked phone purchase/plan in the market nowadays?
They went live with unlocked units in stores (Canada and US) on Nov 30.

Unlimited receive? Do you mean text or calls? They do have unlimited incoming SMS but I am unsure about unlimited incoming calls. Data is Bell's HSPA+ network, so you will get the full 3G speed that you would on Bell or Telus or their subbrands (Virgin and Koodo). Their plans are here http://www.pctelecom.ca/LCLOnline/ratep ... atures.jsp

If you are going on a contract for the iPhone (locked) then Koodo does have some of the better plans available, depending on your needs of course.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
hmm tx a lot for the info

do u have the specific price for those unlocked in store? both in canada and state. maybe ill drive down there and grab it if its wroth it
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
nvm just checked pc mobile plan. they are charging both incoming and outgoing calls every min and without a data plan for 25/mo

is there any other prepaid that has a similar plan like windmobile below,
and that i can use it on iphone?

wind pay after plan 0$/mo
-unlimited income calls/msg.
-pay as i go
-for 20c/min outgoing calls

so when i go oversea, i don't need to suspend it (+suspend fee) and still receive signal
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9378 posts
1942 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
mytalk wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:41 am
hmm tx a lot for the info

do u have the specific price for those unlocked in store? both in canada and state. maybe ill drive down there and grab it if its wroth it
Same price as the locked units and same as online. $649 in the US and $700 in Canada.
Aug 30, 2007
261 posts
259 upvotes
Buy the iphone5 on a 3 year plan from Telus Team store. Currently $129.99 plus you get a 50$ gift card for Future shop. The phone subsidy will be $520. Every month that subsidy will be reduced by $14.44. If you want to unlock it from telus for $50, you can do so after 90 days provided your account is in good standing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9378 posts
1942 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
vinman152000 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 11:03 am
Buy the iphone5 on a 3 year plan from Telus Team store. Currently $129.99 plus you get a 50$ gift card for Future shop. The phone subsidy will be $520. Every month that subsidy will be reduced by $14.44. If you want to unlock it from telus for $50, you can do so after 90 days provided your account is in good standing.
$35

And yes, that makes Telus/Koodo a compelling option over unlocked from Apple. Assuming they have plans available for iPhone contracts that are suitable. Might be more than OP wants to be locked into for 3 years.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
well i still haven't decided if i want a 3 years contracts
due to the fact i will be traveling oversea in asia maybe for 6m-1year.

so i don't know how this works out if i suspend the phone bill during a 3 years contract period.
would i be charged extra for it?

im just thinking cost wise what would be the best option for me.

a prepaid similar to windmobile would work the best. i can just leave it wihtout suspending and get a local GSM sim card wherever i go with iphone5

any ppl with a good prepaid service are greatly appreciated
× < >