Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Suggestion for Rice Cookers

Tried my luck in the request forum, but everyone is all too consumed about gadgetries.

I'm looking for a quality rice cooker that won't over cook or have the coating of its bowl flake after a few months.

Does anyone know of a 'prosumer' grade rice cooker that isn't priced out of the reach of a penny pincher?

Something along the lines of a Cuisinart, Krup, or Panasonic, Sanyo, etc..

Thanks
10 replies
Jul 11, 2003
696 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I've used a lot of brands over the years... my favourites are Zojirushi and National.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
1068 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, British C…
o yes Zojirushi, parent have shipped one @ asia for its quality.

the cooker serve well and last forever. :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
been using a National for well over 10 years... recently replaced it with a similar newer model after dropping the old one and breaking it.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1109 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I've tried a few different rice cookers and I was never able to get a good result. I really like Basmati rice, cooked so that each grain is seperate. When using a rice cooker, I always seem to get a real sticky quality.

I have a small, cheap rice cooker right now. I only use it when I don't feel like watching a pot on the stove.
Banned
Oct 27, 2004
2236 posts
13 upvotes
Wow a topic that I was just about to create, but luckilly i saw it on top =)

Anyways...I too was debating which Rice cooker i should get. Recently I've heard of the Zojirushi Brand and has been known to cook Perfect Rice...

Do any of you guys/gals have a Zojirushi rice cooker @ home? If so, is it the new Fuzzy Logic model?*LOL Still laffin at that name* for more info on fuzzy logic click here : http://www.zojirushi.com/ricecookers.html

and if any of you ppl DO have this rice cooker, can you really tell the diff. from the Zojirushi and your old rice cooker? thx. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
I think that really depends on your definition of perfect rice.... ordinary day-to-day freshly steamed rice is usually moist and a bit sticky, but rice that's been left overnight or cooled after cooking will have a firmer texture and will usually be easily seperatable instead of clumped together because the gluten inside the grain has settled.

This is why a lot of asian recipies recommend using day-old steamed rice to make fried rice with, since a quick fry will coat the outside of the grain and prevent sticking before the glutens are reactivated.

For more rice science refer to the rice episode of Good Eats (S08E22 - Do The Rice Thing), lots of good tips and tricks there even though it mostly refers to western rice applications.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
What can I be expected to pay for a quality cooker from Zojirushi? They're apparently available in Korean town, for those interested.

I'm currently using a National cooker, but as mentioned before, the pot inside is scratched up and starting to flake.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
aznspddmn wrote:you can replace the pot itself.

Where can I buy them? I"m told by the original store where it was first bought nobody sells just the pot, but only the entire set.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1473 posts
17 upvotes
Hmm, too bad you're National isn't working out so good. I'd add my vote for National anyways, ours is about 3 years old now and works great.