Request-A-Deal

Suggestions for device to play 4k videos

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2017 6:39 pm
Aug 5, 2010
26 posts
4 upvotes

Suggestions for device to play 4k videos

I currently have an XPS 13 9350 (i5, 8gb, intel hd 5500 graphics) with mini display port connected to my 4k tv.

I love the laptop, but when I play 4k clips locally, it stutters and is unwatchable. I've tried multiple cables but am only able to get 30hz and I'm not sure of this is the reason. I would assume the laptop could handle 4k, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions on a fanless device to play 4k videos that won't break the bank?

Cheers!
3 replies
Jun 2, 2006
903 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
Check out the Nvidia Shield TV. Not super cheap, but it does a great job and is practically silent.

I have one and i can't hear it (and I'm anal when it comes to noise!).
Aug 5, 2010
26 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks, I was thinking of getting one of these and have heard good things. Would be cheaper than building a small form facter htpc.
Jun 2, 2006
903 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
bad123 wrote: Thanks, I was thinking of getting one of these and have heard good things. Would be cheaper than building a small form facter htpc.
I think so. Plus it is a true "Android TV" which works much better for a HTPC setup.

Also the nvidia processor is much more specialized for decoding video versus a entry level cpu. I would imagine it being much quieter too.

My suggestion would be to get the cheaper 16GB version (since it's cheaper and faster), and add a external harddrive to it yourself.

Canada Computers has it $10 cheaper then Amazon.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=103510