• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 3:34 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2014
602 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton, ONT

Suggestions on ensuring condo work is done

I am hoping ones can help with the issues we are currently experiencing with our property management provider/manager.

Since I am on the Board, I am stopped almost weekly by a resident who complains their requests for various mtnce items are never completed. They claim they sent an email to the manager or called, was assured it would be dealt with but nothing. This week I was told about 3 items that were requested back in April and nothing was done! The Board had no idea.

We only have 96 units and are a low-rise bldg, so no actual superintendent onsite. When items need to be fixed the manager is contacted then asks the appropriate provider to fix/resolve the issue.

How do we, as a Board, ensure things are being looked after? We only hear about these things if the owners get really ticked off and track one of us as Board members down. Is there any way we can be proactive about this? How can we hold the property manager's feet to the fire on items like this?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9535 posts
5949 upvotes
Edmonton
AchtungB4by wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 4:07 pm
I am hoping ones can help with the issues we are currently experiencing with our property management provider/manager.

Since I am on the Board, I am stopped almost weekly by a resident who complains their requests for various mtnce items are never completed. They claim they sent an email to the manager or called, was assured it would be dealt with but nothing. This week I was told about 3 items that were requested back in April and nothing was done! The Board had no idea.

We only have 96 units and are a low-rise bldg, so no actual superintendent onsite. When items need to be fixed the manager is contacted then asks the appropriate provider to fix/resolve the issue.

How do we, as a Board, ensure things are being looked after? We only hear about these things if the owners get really ticked off and track one of us as Board members down. Is there any way we can be proactive about this? How can we hold the property manager's feet to the fire on items like this?
Perhaps set up an email address that people can cc: when they send something to the property manager, or have them give the complaint to a board member who takes it to the property manager.

And better communication between the property manager and the board would be good. A weekly spreadsheet of known issues and dates is all that’s needed.

Or fire the property managers and hire someone who GAF.

C
[OP]
Jul 21, 2014
602 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton, ONT
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 4:30 pm
Perhaps set up an email address that people can cc: when they send something to the property manager, or have them give the complaint to a board member who takes it to the property manager.

And better communication between the property manager and the board would be good. A weekly spreadsheet of known issues and dates is all that’s needed.

Or fire the property managers and hire someone who GAF.

C
I have thought about the email address idea...but the question comes up: who monitors and has access to it? We have one guy on the Board that is as crooked as a snakes back & wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Jan 12, 2017
545 posts
206 upvotes
Ask for proof of work with the bill? Only needs to be a photo..

Who is financially accountable?
AchtungB4by wrote:

[OP]
Jul 21, 2014
602 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton, ONT
Chickennbeans wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 8:30 pm
Ask for proof of work with the bill? Only needs to be a photo..

Who is financially accountable?
Its not getting proof the work was done that is the issue, the problem is that as a Board we have no idea that an owner has contacted Property Mngt for an issue - then we find out months down the road the owner claims to have requested a repair but nothing was done because mngt either forgot, lazy, who knows.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4103 posts
1455 upvotes
Calgary
AchtungB4by wrote:

You are on the board. Do you not meet with the property manager every 2 months to address these concerns? The property management company is hired by you, and paid by you, and answers to you.

You do have responsibility as a board director to ensure that the property management company is doing their job. We get notified of any maintenance happening and the company requires approval from the board for any expenditure over a certain amount, the previous property management company did not, and we chose to go with someone else. All maintenance tickets and requests from units must go through the condo central website (everything is logged and tasks are scheduled). Our number of units is similar to yours, it doesn't matter how many you have or how big or small your complex is.

This is honestly an odd question if you are on the board...you control who manages your building.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4581 posts
1389 upvotes
Toronto
AchtungB4by wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 9:47 am
Its not getting proof the work was done that is the issue, the problem is that as a Board we have no idea that an owner has contacted Property Mngt for an issue - then we find out months down the road the owner claims to have requested a repair but nothing was done because mngt either forgot, lazy, who knows.
At the condo I'm living in, if there's a serious issue or an issue that has been unresolved for some time, it's entirely normal for a resident to copy in all the board members when emailing the management company (or if it's by phone, just tell the board members that they called the property manager after the fact). Unless this is such a common issue in your building, I don't know if it's worth setting up a whole new process or software platform just to deal with this.

I suppose at a basic level I'm not really sure there's a problem. A unit owner felt that something wasn't done properly and so they contacted you. If they don't contact you, then there's probably not a big problem. Seems logical to me.
Nov 16, 2011
935 posts
617 upvotes
HAMILTON
To me, the 1st thing is to get the property manager to a condo board meeting, explain the circumstances and ask them what is up.

Listen, discuss and come up with options that are mutually acceptable.

You should also realize that you are only getting 1 side of the story and the story you are being told may not be what was told to the property manager.

As an aside, I don't see what a " crooked as a snake " board member has anything to do anything.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1228 posts
1000 upvotes
AchtungB4by wrote:

Have you talked to the PM?

But if that resident who stops you so frequently, sounds like they're one of those annoying complainers that the PM may have tuned out

Upto you to decide how much you like (or not) your PM.

We have an email to contact the Board directly at one of my old condos
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2421 posts
1742 upvotes
A simple log file / spreadsheet on a shared drive or a cloud based system should work. Just make it mandatory that the property manager must log all calls and requests for service and then anyone whom you grant access to can review the log and follow up when necessary.

Sounds like a case of trust and then verify.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)