• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2012 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes

Suggestions for media player to run XBMC

There are so many options that I am getting confused, and also cost is a factor. Basically what i want to do is have a media player which can run xbmc so i can stream live ethnic (indian/desi channals) and also have the ability to expand it ie have a hard drive.
I like AIOS but as far as i know i can't run xbmc on it. Apple TV2 can run xbmc but is not expandable. What are my options guys? Is a custom built HTPC is the way to go? But then it it will cost much more. One last thing, it has to be user friendly so my parents can run it.

Thank you
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Pivos XIOS DS just got XBMC-should fit your needs.
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Pivos XIOS DS just got XBMC-should fit your needs.
The only thing is you can't install a HD like with AIOX, but AIOS doesnt support XBMC :(
How about Apple TV 2?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10378 upvotes
You absolutely need a hard drive? Flash memory not going to do it then? It's what I use on my jail broken IPad 2. Going to watch some vids as soon as I finish this post...

You might get a powered HDD to work on the IPads. Don't know about Android devices as I don't have one but there is a version of XBMC coming out for Android devices, so you may want to wait a bit...
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
The problem with an ATV2 is that you need to leave a server on whether it's a NAS or another PC and the ATV2 itself will not function as your downloading machine. You will need the NAS, if possible, or the PC to do it. So.. if you're starting from scratch, it's not the cheapest..

ATV2 works.. but it's trouble to JB.. and it's a bit slow and doesn't run all the skins well.. and you may have to address potential network issues (i.e. get a dual band router) to ensure that you can stream flawlessly.. so far, it's choked on 1080p but i don't know if that was bc of my modem/router or bc the ATV2 can't really handle it.

Overall it's been great because I never bought it with the intent to JB and run XBMC... but I think long-term, I am looking for something like a mac mini bc I like the form factor. I hear a lot of other complaints of noise and overheating of other small HTPC set ups...so the mac mini is appealing.. but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger bc it's so $$$ so I may just stick with what works...
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes
ebay, search: apple tv 1, apple tv 40gb, apple tv 160gb.apple tv 1 with 40gb is an apple tv first version with a 40gb hard drive to record to, these can usually be had for under $100.00 shipped, ask the seller,probably u.s.a to ship only usps first class mail international.. you want a larger hard drive, use a program called apple tv cloner.use this program on a mac computer.what it does is clone a good hard drive and then transfer the clone to as large a hard drive as you want (ide hard drive only)this is used by the indian community, here in the gta.there are places that will program these apple tv 1's to the indian community for cheap.
May 23, 2004
700 posts
43 upvotes
Magoomba wrote: Can the Ouya open source console (kickstarter.com) possibly do it?
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Have to wait until Q2 2013 (assuming no delays), but $120 shipped is a great deal if everything comes together as planned.
Jul 23, 2011
696 posts
202 upvotes
I'm in a similar situation and weighing a few options.
1. Get a full-blown nano-PC (AT-5600) from Foxconn that are due to come out in a month or two. They are supposedly sub-$150 or sub-$200. They're packed with AMD Brazos e-450 so you can enjoy full blown XBMC or Plex and an unrestricted Internet. No fuss setup. Personally, I think this is a power-user setup.

2. I'm waiting for Vizio Co-star reviews. Horrible name but awesome remote that has keyboard and touch. I don't know but I can't imagine having a remote for Android without a keyboard or touch. Its supposedly $99.99. My only complain is the lack of gigabit port and missing support for advance audio formats which shouldn't be an issue for you. I'd say this is a "mom & dad" solution.

Here's a Vizio Co-star commercial, look pretty interesting.

Jul 29, 2012
42 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
I was thinking about Odroid-X and XBMC myself. The board supposedly is faster than Tegra.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
MrRockstar wrote: 1. Get a full-blown nano-PC (AT-5600) from Foxconn that are due to come out in a month or two. They are supposedly sub-$150 or sub-$200. They're packed with AMD Brazos e-450 so you can enjoy full blown XBMC or Plex and an unrestricted Internet. No fuss setup. Personally, I think this is a power-user setup.
Expected launch in Sept with prices around $260+

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/07/foxc ... d-tweaked/

And no point in suggesting ATV2 as they're pretty much unavailable except through eBay, Kijiji and CL where the mark-up is ridiculously. Would be better off getting a nettop of some sort.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2513 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
I'd also recommend a Nettop.. don't bother with the media player boxes and such.
The variation on video containers and codecs pretty much means the media player will not be able to play at least some formats / resolutions.
Or you may miss out on sound quality since it will be down converted to 2-channel.

Go with something running Win7 home premium and you're set.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
Magoomba wrote: Can the Ouya open source console (kickstarter.com) possibly do it?
I have no idea.. Given time constraints I would prefer a Win7 solution as it seems easier.. the foxconn nanoPC's look mighty good...
Jul 11, 2005
900 posts
27 upvotes
Seems like XIOS DS is the only decent choice or maybe wait for Foxconn nano pcs.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
XBMC is pretty full featured, comparing it to something like the WDTV live is the difference between night and day... on the surface WDTV live seems to have most of the bases covered...until you start to play with it a bit, see it's sluggishness, 3 minute loads... loses focus in the middle of some activity. Scrapes are a joke, foreign covers.. and naming is a nightmare. The more I look at the media boxes and their software solutions the more I like XBMC and to run it with any kind of smoothness you needed either a dedicated box, or a full fledged modern PC. So the guys that enjoy 720p on an Apple TV2 (if you can find one) are lucky... but streaming content means you've already into a NAS so your costs climb... The next few months we will see how XIOS works... sit on your hands and wallet for the summer, enjoy the nice weather outdoors..

Here's a new device already to go form Asrock..http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ASRock-V ... ew/?page=1
but a $1000 is what it takes..