• Feb 1st, 2019 6:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
I collected for a charity for a few years, and did notice that some people didn't answer the door when they were clearly at home. If someone comes to my door to collect for a registered charity, I give because they are volunteering their time for a cause. I think times have changed and people are more insular. I know my neighbours, but I suspect that some people don't and maybe that's the difference? Several of my neighbours drop by for various reasons, of course I open the door. I also don't care if I get flyers, and no one sells things door-to-door here.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
OttawaGardener wrote: I collected for a charity for a few years, and did notice that some people didn't answer the door when they were clearly at home. If someone comes to my door to collect for a registered charity, I give because they are volunteering their time for a cause. I think times have changed and people are more insular. I know my neighbours, but I suspect that some people don't and maybe that's the difference? Several of my neighbours drop by for various reasons, of course I open the door. I also don't care if I get flyers, and no one sells things door-to-door here.
They're the worst. If I want to give I'll do it directly, I don't want you guys at my door. Most of them are scams anyway.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
hagbard wrote: They're the worst. If I want to give I'll do it directly, I don't want you guys at my door. Most of them are scams anyway.
*sigh* Sounds like your mind is made up.

P.S. I'm a woman not a guy
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
OttawaGardener wrote: *sigh* Sounds like your mind is made up.

P.S. I'm a woman not a guy
Guy means both.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
These signs don't deter people from leaving flyers / unwanted mails and so forth....so no need to waste $.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
We have this posted on door:

"A POLITE REQUEST

*** STOP SIGN IMAGE HERE

We do not require the following:
- Change Electrical Supplier
- Change Telephone/Television/Internet
- House Maintenance/Repairs
- Religious Instructions
- Solicitors

Please ‘DO NOT’ knock or disturb us
Thank you for respecting our Privacy!
Anyone violating our privacy will have their picture taken, vehicle license plate written down and disturbed in future at your home."

In past 4 years never bothered, we have had people come to door( solicitors ) and see them pull out phone to take picture and we have gone to door( they never knocked --- just weiry someon ion driveway so went to investigate ), they say sorry we not going to bother you. We are in a small community. Johova WItnesses came one saw sign, never knocked and have blacklisted house as they goto every else's house on street but never stop at ours anymore.

I think its the threat of I will track you down and bug you at your house at end that works, as they don't want to be bother either.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I personally just went through this on the phone moments ago with an irate home owner complaining about MY door hanger.

I am trying to push my business forward right now, and I am personally delivering about 10,000 door hangers. This has been very productive for me and it has generated quite a bit of extra business. In fact, two new customers have repeated their request for my service three times each in the last two weeks.

The funny thing is that all of these new customers have a no soliciting sign on their door/mailbox. I also have a no soliciting sign on MY mailbox, however this is left over from the previous tenant. Of course, the sign is ignored. I would suggest that about 80% of these houses now have these signs on them. If I followed them, I would greatly reduce the quantity of new business I could generate.

I'm not entirely sure what the best solution is. However, I will continue to ignore these signs so that I can generate new business.
Last edited by bewiseman on Aug 31st, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
bewiseman wrote: Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I personally just went through this on the phone moments ago with an irate home owner complaining about MY door hanger.

I am trying to push my business forward right now, and I am personally delivering about 10,000 door hangers. This has been very productive for me and it has generated quite a bit of extra business. In fact, two new customers have repeated their request for my service three times each in the last two weeks.

The funny thing is that all of these new customers have a no soliciting sing on their door/mailbox. I also have a no soliciting sing on MY mailbox, however this is left over from the previous tenant. Of course, the sign is ignored. I would suggest that about 80% of these houses now have these signs on them. If I followed them, I would greatly reduce the quantity of new business I could generate.

I'm not entirely sure what the best solution is. However, I will continue to ignore these signs so that I can generate new business.
If your going to hang it on doors that don't want you to you're going to get hounded back. I had a local business do it and I complained to the municipality and they got charged a fine as they investigated and they were also putting signs on municipal property.

Some people don't want to be bothered and you probably bugged the wrong one.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
Zombly wrote: If your going to hang it on doors that don't want you to you're going to get hounded back. I had a local business do it and I complained to the municipality and they got charged a fine as they investigated and they were also putting signs on municipal property.

Some people don't want to be bothered and you probably bugged the wrong one.
Do you know where those bylaws are written? I've been trying for a while to find the bylaws for Ottawa that dictate what I can and can't do. I am just depositing door hangers - no door knocking.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
bewiseman wrote: Do you know where those bylaws are written? I've been trying for a while to find the bylaws for Ottawa that dictate what I can and can't do. I am just depositing door hangers - no door knocking.
I personally know where to locate mine I'm not sure what subsection the by-law is for Ottawa but here's the list of all the by-laws:
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-lice ... laws/law-z

You could also call the local by-law office and just ask just don't give your information if you don't like the answer.
Last edited by Zombly on Aug 31st, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
bewiseman wrote: Thanks, actually, I just found it. There is a specific sign that people have to buy from the city for $2.

http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/docume ... 493_en.pdf
Doesn't look like that's a real by-law, it's voluntary and within the by-law they usually state if there's any fees. That by-law from the looks of it mean I can plaster any house with the sign and not receive any penalty as they don't indicate a penalty can be issued even if you still give them junk mail.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
I also am reluctant to put up a "no soliciting" sign.

To avoid door-to-door salespeople etc I normally have my doorbell disconnected. That gets rid of most of the problem. I switch the doorbell back on when I'm expecting someone.

Some of the salespeople listen for the doorbell and realize it's not working and then try knocking, often its some kind of catchy door knock style but I ignore that too.

Friend of mine was victimized by a home invasion robbery that started with a door knock. It was a couple of guys wearing fake police uniforms.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Stick up NO TRESPASSING signs and you'll be able to call the cops on anyone that's not legally allowed to be on your property and have them arrested.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5634 upvotes
Ignore the door.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32142 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
One could post a sign like this (changed to solicitors) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: On what? Since I've place a small no solicitation sign on top of the door bell ringer a few months back, I don't feel obliged to answer the door anymore. I assume every solicitor has a fairly decent command of the English language. :)

I don't hear the door bell ringing as frequent as before.
Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just want to ask where to buy small no solicitation sign? Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
can2000 wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just want to ask where to buy small no solicitation sign? Thanks
hmmm. my wife must have taken the colored print out of the no solicitation sign off after we upgraded to Ring Door Bell Pro.

Maybe ebay or amazon or just print it out with a colored printer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Naked. Or banana hammock.

Could even go creepy too with like a full fur suit or full leather with a riding crop.

Or how about answering the door covered in red paint?
bewiseman wrote: I'm not entirely sure what the best solution is. However, I will continue to ignore these signs so that I can generate new business.
I wonder how much business you'll lose when I start posting negative reviews on every site I can find.
I'm thinking it probably won't balance out the new customers you gain.
Cheap Cat wrote: Some people put signs out like "night shift worker don't ring the bell" or "baby sleeping don't ring the bell". I don't know if they have more luck with those.
Angry yelling goes well with this too.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Quite a few houses on our street (including ours) has a NO SOLICITATION sign on the front door.

Doesn't seem to deter those door-to-door sales guys at all.

On a side note: I REALLY HATE THOSE FOOLS THAT KNOCK ON THE DOOR OR GLASS ... THERE IS A BLOODY DOORBELL ON EVERY SINGLE HOUSE! JUST RING THE DOOR BELL!!!

*** I got our sticker in RED on eBay ***
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)