Automotive

Suggestions for pick-up truck to purchase/lease

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 11:59 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts

Suggestions for pick-up truck to purchase/lease

I am recently divorced and my ex made all car buying decisions. Now I need to get a new car/truck. What I have now is a 2004 Toyota Sienna. This was perfect for my kids I have 3 and we BMX and Dirt Jump as a family, and the Sienna had a ton of space for the bikes. My year Sienna had 3 passenger 2nd row seating, but the new ones do not, they have 2 passenger 2nd row. So I am not wanting this configuration.

I am thinking about a truck. I am wanting one with a crew cab for kids, but want the most roomy and comfortable crew cab. I need to haul bikes and 3 kids, and we go on several long road trips each year, so looking for comfort. Not opposed to another van, - but what I liked about my Sienna was there was enough room to put bikes in the back without using a bike rack.

I know zero about cars. I know zero about the process of purchasing/leasing a car. I am terrified I am going to go to a dealership and be sold something I don't need, or sold a junky vehicle.

I have $20,000 cash I could go higher with payment but don't really want to.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
17 replies
Sep 22, 2014
260 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Id recommend a ram 1500. Try to get the proven 5.7 with the 8spd for better efficiency. The 8spd is made by zf which is found in many high end vehicles. You would have to spend 35g before taxes though. Check out scarbororam, North York and peel.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5277 posts
664 upvotes
Sierra, Silverado or Avalanche.

Not sure what year $20k will get you, but think about repair and maintenance too. Those are the most reliable of all the trucks out there.

The Avalanche is a class above the pickups, in terms of ride quality and options for the generation. Keep that in mind as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1831 posts
427 upvotes
Calgary
Who told you new Siennas don't have 3 passanger seating in the middle? They do, depending on what trim. Odysseys as well.

As far crew cab pickups go: Ford F150 and Toyota Tundra have the most room in the second row. However for $20k budget you will have to look at trucks that are 5 or more years old to get the Crew ones.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7896 posts
949 upvotes
Markham
If the Sienna served you well, I would get another Van than a pick up.
Pick up Truck IMO are more to business use or if you need to haul and put things at the cab most of your time.
You have kids and their bikes. I guess the mini Van will do the trick?
Also the vans these days are made even bigger than 10 years ago.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 1, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
In todays used truck market I would highly suggest at looking at purchasing new. Due to the high demand from the USA and the dollar most used trucks are taken on trade and sent down to the US. This is starting to slow down due to the ever changing dollar but is still prevelant. When buying new of course you get the advantage of a generally 3yr/60k bumper to bumper and an extended powertrain coverage. I am a General Motors fan so I would suggest one of their products in my opinion. But take a look at all of them and find the one that works best for you.
Jan 23, 2017
412 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
Pretty sure the Honda Ridgeline is made specifically for people like you. If you haven't driven a proper truck (body on frame) I think you'll be surprised how poor it handles coming from a Sienna.

As someone else noted, fairly confident the Sienna can still be had in the seating configuration you liked, it may not be as common is all - may opt to have a dealer try and source you one but it'll cost more.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts
Thank you everyone for the help I will check into all the options suggested.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy dealership in the lower mainland? When I go into look at cars on lots I feel so out of my element.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1585 posts
193 upvotes
A Sienna can have 3 across in the middle seat, however I'm not sure the middle seat will be as comfortable as the middle seat in a crew cab. I'm also not sure if you'd be able to fit 4 bikes in the back of the van.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
3 posts
The sienna I have now can fit 5 people and 5 bmx bikes - it has so much space, I hate to get rid of it but transmission is done and it's getting old
Jul 5, 2004
22241 posts
2122 upvotes
I really don't think you can go wrong with a Ram, Ford or GM.

I guess the Ridgeline would be good for someone like you as well, but I have a hard time recommending that thing to anyone who wants a truck
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jan 23, 2017
412 posts
240 upvotes
Calgary
Shaner wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:38 pm

I guess the Ridgeline would be good for someone like you as well, but I have a hard time recommending that thing to anyone who wants a truck
Based on what? Most people who own trucks would be better served by a compact car and renting a truck the one time a year they use it for its purpose.

OP obviously falls into a different group, but has accepted (where many can't) that minivans offer superior utility to most alternatives, such as a truck or SUV.
Nov 4, 2008
380 posts
260 upvotes
GTA
Shaner wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:38 pm

lol Face With Tears Of JoyThumbs Up Sign
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16289 posts
1747 upvotes
Langley
I don't think a Ridgeline cab is as roomy as a full-size.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

MrPsv1