• Jun 25th, 2011 3:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes

Suggestions for Radeon HD 5770 Video Card replacement

I am having issues with this card and I am able to return it to NCIX for a store credit. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=51404 ... omoid=1026

I have an I7 930, 6GB RAM and 700 watt Coolermaster PSU. I dont do any gaming and this is the last straw for me with ATI. I've had nothing but issues with their products over the years so I am going to go with NVIDIA where I have had good experiences.

Any suggestions on a replacement card?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Heh, looks like mine. Pretty good price, except that PowerColor is shite for rebates.

Anyhow, if you're not gaming, just get the cheapest card you can find that has the features you want (ie: HDMI, VGA, DVI). You can probably get a passively-cooled model as well.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53615 ... cture=ASUS

This one has all three, plus passive cooling.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Thanks. The thing with my card, at least I think it's my card is what problem I am experiencing. I am not sure of the lingo or what I am seeing. I wonder if I will have the same problem with the new card.

When i am watching movies, there is what appears to be like an overlay of two images split in the middle of the screen. It happens most times where there is significant movement , but not always. I ran FurMark and I was not able to recreate this issue.

My mobo is Asus P6X58D-E with a 700 Watt Coolermster PSU, with 6 GB of RAM. I replaced my video card already under the warranty and it still happens. NCIX built my system, they're not sure what the symptom i am experiencing is called either. I am not overclocking except I tweaked my RAM a bit to run @1600 mhz. I changed the RAM settings to default in the bios when troubleshooting but it made no difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
I've seen the kind of shifted ghosting before with ATI cards, more to do with the display overscan not in sync with the monitor.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
ah802 wrote: I've seen the kind of shifted ghosting before with ATI cards, more to do with the display overscan not in sync with the monitor.

You're spot on...after some additional digging around, it is indeed a "V-Sync Tearing" issue between the video card and my older Dell LCD monitor. I downloaded this utility called ATI Tray Tools: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733 and set VSync ON and triple buffering. This fixed my overlay issue. I guess I will keep this card after all.

What still puzzles me is why video cards aren't smart enough to know the refresh rate of the monitor and slow themselves down?

BTW, here is some info on V-Sync and the phenomenon called V-Sync Tearing:
[IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2416/ggdsg19.th.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
Pavel wrote: You're spot on...after some additional digging around, it is indeed a "V-Sync Tearing" issue between the video card and my older Dell LCD monitor. I downloaded this utility called ATI Tray Tools: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733 and set VSync ON and triple buffering. This fixed my overlay issue. I guess I will keep this card after all.

What still puzzles me is why video cards aren't smart enough to know the refresh rate of the monitor and slow themselves down?

BTW, here is some info on V-Sync and the phenomenon called V-Sync Tearing:
[IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2416/ggdsg19.th.jpg[/IMG]

what game is that btw ? And what card of ati's where you about to get anti amd/ati about ?

also not suprising that its cause your old monitor, the ports are changing, also the hz in panels & ect ...
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Did you try catalyst 11.5 drivers first?

Seemed to fix a lot of issues for me from 11.2/11.3

It improved refresh rate handling when the other monitor is an HDTV, it finally fixed the 100% GPU usage bug for me (11.4 fixed it on my 6000 series cards but not on 5000 series until 11.5)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
yeah, the video issue is clearly related to v-sync. no software update will fix that. i am using ATI Tray Tools to control the v-sync.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2004
5321 posts
18 upvotes
Midland
Pavel wrote: yeah, the video issue is clearly related to v-sync. no software update will fix that. i am using ATI Tray Tools to control the v-sync.

Have you ACTUALY installed the 11.5's + the 11.5 patch yet though to see if its there ? cause even in the 11.5b patch notes it did indicate there being some issue. Or more so have you tried the card connected to another monitor ?? updated the monitors driver as well ??

I know when I put the 11.5's onto my pc I actualy lost 30-40 fps in worldoftanks online but since doin the update patch to them I'm back up into the 100's again.

Believe you this ... you MAY think all will be fine in the green camp ... but its not ... they will take a big dump on you as well too .... don't believe me .... just ask all those folks awhile back what they thought of them when there drivers disabled fan control in a couple of there cards & they fried cause of it.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4000 32 gig kit
Asus Xonar AU | Asus ROG 6600 XT | Corsair RM850X | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 | SG Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Terrybear, I have no reason not to believe you ;)

I installed the latest drivers. Actually, I reinstalled my system the other day. Just today I installed the latest drivers and the catalyst s/w. I got a BSOD on the first attemtp. Gotta love that. where is the .5b patch? Is it on AMD's website?

On some movies are getting video tearning even with V-Sync on and triple buffering enabled. :(
May 31, 2011
16 posts
1 upvote
well if you don't do any gaming, what would you need it for. If nothing, your integrated graphic should be enough, if not, i would go with like a gtx 260 or gts 450, or a gtx 460(more expensive) and also able to play any game.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
lol. my mobo does NOT have intergrated graphics. besides, I usually keep my PC for 3+ years and I upgrade incrementally. I know my next upgrade will probably be a video card and PSU. maybe CPU closer to the three year mark. My mobo is Asus P6X58D-E.