Fashion & Apparel

Suggestions for stores catering to tall slim girls.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 3:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
sandy_beach wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 1:56 pm
I walk by a store every day that looks like it caters to what your looking for... It's called LONG TALL SALLY.
http://ca.longtallsally.com
jc427 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 3:26 pm
I agree with the above comment about GAP and Banana Republic. I think height-wise, Old Navy is good but their clothes are slim enough for some. I'm 5'8" and I just bought some work pants from Gap the other day. I bought the regular inseam so I imagine your wife would fit the long size. I bought size 00 in the pants so I totally understand your wife's struggles. When I go to mexx, I have to buy the smallest size they have in pants, 32, and the sales associate told me.. they only get 1 pair in that size for every style they have. So I have to buy them when I find something I like, otherwise, that's it, they run out and it's very hard to find the size in other stores. (mexx probably won't fit your wife though, because the length is just right for me and I don't think they have tall/long inseams).

I also have clothes from Joe Fresh. I just checked online and they indicated that the inseam of the pants are 32". I think the dress pants that I have from Joe Fresh were size 0. They were definitely loose in the waist for me and a little long. They were on clearance (standard black pants for work) so I bought them anyways and got them tailored.

Jeans - I like A&F. Again, I wear the regular inseam and they do have long styles but I don't see the small sizes in long too often. I think I wear a size 2 for their jeans and the regular length works for me. Aeropostale has "long" jeans too and the sizes are similar to A&F

Tops - that's a hard one. For work, if i wear a dress shirt, i like to tuck it in so it looks put together. I generally struggle throughout the day trying to tuck my shirt back in when half of it's sticking out. Try Zara - their tops fit me in length but I don't have any pants from them so I can't comment there.

With sweaters and tops, you just have to find the "longer" styles / cut, then they look normal on taller ppl.... hahaha....

Hope this helps!!
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 3:38 pm
There's one of these in the Atrium (across Dundas from the Eaton Centre).
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'll let my wife know and she'll hopefully find something that fits in a style she likes. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
Long Tall Sally is the UK owner of what once was called Tall Girl (clothing) and Tallcrest (shoes) in Canada. It's basically in the major cities only and not in malls of late; however there is mail-order! Downtown Toronto is fortunate to have the Atrium location, near the Pickle Barrel restaurant, as it's walkable for the GO commuters/day visitors from Union Station.When there was a Yorkdale store, one had to exit the mall's north side to get into a store that had its full clothing racks too closely together. I have not visited the Heartland location big box store in Missisauga but it's the one that replaced the Square One and Erin Mills stores about 3 years ago. Pants are either Junior (shorter rise) or Regular (deeper rise) sizes; she'd have to see which fits her better and hope there are some sizes in the style she most wants as some regular shoppers do come and clear out some sizes. Since the change in ownership, there are some trendy tops and such-question is if your wife is willing to spend top dollar for pieces?

There's another Mississauga retailer catering to long legged tall women (have not tried their wares but seems suitable for this thread):
Long Legs Fashions>seems to have changed name to Method Boutique. http://www.methodboutique.com/

Sears used to show about two or three tall pants in its catalogue but it's been a year or more since the last sighting.

Gap-tall sizes. As far as I know, they are US only, based on my own retail search and store calling about three years ago (I was also trying to find the elusive purple silk skirt that was seen by a staffer in Waterloo but not in Hamilton-sometimes it's a bother knowing what US websites show and thinking you'll find the merchandise in Canada). Have a tall sibling and cannot find tall men's gear for him in regular retail stores; ditto Eddie Bauer. If you are willing to go to the US or get a US mailing address, maybe you can order items for pickup from your box in Niagara Falls, NY.

Joe Fresh-Like the brand for some colours/prints but most things won't fit a tall women. There is some funny sizing going on in women's sweaters. Either the torso or sleeves are very long in cardigans and pullovers. I make a point to try any tops that I like to see how closely or not they fit me. Tried a spring short trench-didn't fit across the bust and the sleeves were way too short. I have purchased two men's wool blend sweaters ($5 v-neck on clearance in winter and crew neck for modest sum) for daily wear and found them a better fit and slightly heavier knit than the filmy knits sold for women. I hope you can visit a Real Canadian Superstore and explore the merchandise range in-store. Hamilton stores do not get all of the styles stocked in the Fortino's stores carrying the clothing for kids/women/men. It's frustrating to see a colour page ad in a Canadian fashion magazine for Joe Fresh product and not be able to find it locally to try for fit.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
I forgot to mention that Reitmans and Ricki's carry a couple of tall pant styles but they tend to be mid-rise waisted in either a dark grey, black or grey plaid of some kind.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10041 posts
906 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
StratMangler wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 9:50 am
My wife is 5'10" and slim which, in the retail world, makes her a giant and an anomaly. Consequently, it's hard for her to find clothes that fit her. The pants are typically too large and not long enough. Tops are almost always too short as well.

Where do tall slim women shop? She needs some business casual clothes *and* sexy comfortable clothes she can wear outside of work.

Finding clothes always seems to be quite the challenge for her and she's fed up with hunting.
ORLY?? Models dont seem to have issues finding clothes. Majority start at 5'10" and up. 6ft seems to be very common these days. As for sexy clothes Victoria Secrets shud be good to go... since majority of the line is fotographed with guess what, supermodels who are that height.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2429 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the stores/brands listed above have a long/lean addition to their line ...

I'm 5'10", 128lbs and I frequently buy jeans from Joe fresh, The gap and pants and shirts from Lululemon.
There are tons of stores!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
My wife is 5'10" and slim. Unfortunately, she can't seem to find clothes which fits her well.

Jeans or pants of any kind seem to be too short and usually almost paper-thin.

Tops have sleeves which are almost always too short.

R&W sometimes has clothes which fits her but not all the time. Smart Set did but they folded.

Sometimes, she needs professional-looking clothes for work, sometimes casual (but not too slutty), and right now, she needs to find a dress to buy for a wedding we're attending.

Any suggestions?
Aug 15, 2017
40 posts
6 upvotes
EDIT: didn't you ask this same question in 2014???

I'm 6'6" (male) so I can understand her problems. This site is for tall men (I'm going to assume you're tall too so you could use these links as well), but after quickly looking at the first link, they do have tall women's clothing as well:

http://tallsome.com/tall-mens-clothing/

This ASOS site is from the first link within the above site, I just switched it to women:

http://us.asos.com/women/tall/cat/?cid=18984
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Arcteryx carries women's pants with a 35 inch inseam, eg. https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/womens/Sylvite-Pant
If u r going to say, no no no, that's too expensive, then I suggest u wait for a sale.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
StratMangler wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 2:51 pm
My wife is 5'10" and slim. Unfortunately, she can't seem to find clothes which fits her well.

Jeans or pants of any kind seem to be too short and usually almost paper-thin.

Tops have sleeves which are almost always too short.

R&W sometimes has clothes which fits her but not all the time. Smart Set did but they folded.

Sometimes, she needs professional-looking clothes for work, sometimes casual (but not too slutty), and right now, she needs to find a dress to buy for a wedding we're attending.

Any suggestions?
Actually, can you update us on which of the other stores provided did your spouse check out, besides the ones you just mentioned? It's not like there is a spate of tall women shops that opened since your initial query.

Has she tried to see if Uniqlo or Muji stores have everyday clothing that fit her? Downtown Toronto has both stores (Uniqlo is in the Toronto Eaton Centre and will stock the new Ines de la Fressange fall items soon; Muji is across the way in The Atrium on Dundas.)

As for dress suggestions, does your spouse like White House Black Market stores? Some seriously feminine styles that cost money. There's a new black dress that could work for work with a jacket or dinners out but for a wedding, look for other colours (check the store website to see which styles are not online exclusives-she needs to try things in store to get an idea on fit etc.). I bought a green long wrap skirt last year during the summer sale as I liked how it looked in the e-newsletter and brochure. Have her try different sizes because she might find a number that fits her is not the one she usually buys.
https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/s ... t11679475/
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4407 upvotes
Ontario
Reitmans is not showing long dresses this season on its website. However it does stock some tall pants. Anything in the current season, your wife can click on a size and then FIND IN STORE to see if the nearest stores have stock. Loved using this feature in March for a specific blue shade top that my local store did not stock but another more distant store did stock and had on sale to boot. Recommend this store for tops-some styles have decent sleeves. Again, best if your wife peruses online, and jots down product numbers and names to check at the store with the most options in stock.

Aritzia that another member suggested has a more designerish, tone on tone look. It may align with your wife's work wardrobe needs if she is willing to spend the money.

Tossing it out there idea-have you visited the Simons department store at Square One? It does not carry tall sizes but does feature Canadian designs and can be fashion forward as well as trendy and a little classic. If your wife and you are willing to invest time (you can browse their men's department or the Eve cafe), you probably can find formal or dressy attire (some big name designers are carried in the dress shop $$$) to try. I visited the store last year. Hope to visit again soon as the store carries a decent range of colours in tights missing in most stores (that seem to stock only black, gray or brown) in both microfibre or cotton versions. Don't forget to check the sales racks in departments-never know what you can find!). I really recommend signing up for their e-mails so you know when certain brands or departments have promotions or sales.

This past spring, I did happen to scope out fashions on the Zara.com site and realized many shirts or tops for women and men I'd have liked to have seen in the Burlington store (possible gift ideas) only seemed available in Toronto at certain stores. Your wife might find some daily wear/casual items there-check the website to see stock availability. Wish I had the chance to have seen the items in Toronto but in the end, my gift suggestions were not implemented by the family member travelling abroad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Update.

After doing tons of research and looking into stores, we finally found what she was looking for! American Eagle Outfitters does have Long and Extra-Long sizes for pants. Once we found that, we made sure to purchase a couple for her. The last pair of Jeans she found which fit her perfectly ended up costing her about 110$ so we were relieved that she managed to get 2 for 100$. She'll definitely shop there for bottoms from this point on.

We haven't had much luck otherwise. Seems like even at AEO, tops are a coin toss. The sleeves are either too short or just long enough. We'll keep our eyes out for tops as we don't shop for clothes often but I just wanted to at least thank everybody for their suggestions and update the thread with our findings. Next time, we'll make sure to check out all the stores which were named.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My guess is that when u shop in the Junior/Misses section, the clothes are slimmer cut. American Eagle Outfitters, Hollister, etc have slimmer cuts because of their target market.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.