Shopping Discussion

Suggestions on wrong amount charged to Credit Card at Restaurant?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2011 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 22, 2005
435 posts
6 upvotes

Suggestions on wrong amount charged to Credit Card at Restaurant?

I took my parents for dinner at a decent Hakka Chinese Restaurant in Mississauga.
The total bill was around $55 and I left a 15% tip even though the service was not as nice...Total was about $63.
Now I check my credit card statement (PC Mastercard) and find that the restaurant charged me $117.90 on the card! :confused:

Attempts to call the restaurant since yesterday have not resulted in anyone who can discuss this with me.
This was about 2 weeks back and I do not have the receipt on me anymore so I cant prove this to the credit card folks.
However, I know the Pre-Auth was for the $55 amount and it's a restaurant so I would think the credit card company should be do some math with that info.

I plan to try a couple more days to get in touch with someone at the restaurant, failing which I will get in touch with PC folks.

Any tips or personal experience on how to proceed here?
:twisted:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
49 upvotes
London ON
they may have entered the wrong amount from someone else's bill

one night i was at a bar and ordered bottle service and paid with cc for one bottle came to $110
next couple days the bar charged me $202.xx
i left it alone thinking they put in the wrong amount and a week later it was back to $110 on the cc report

i doubt i would of had a valid argument since i was drunk but the bar did the right thing

you might have to go back into the restaurant and try to remember what everyone ordered and look up the price on the menus etc
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2082 posts
183 upvotes
shahn2 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:26 am
The total bill was around $55 and I left a 15% tip even though the service was not as nice...Total was about $63.
Now I check my credit card statement (PC Mastercard) and find that the restaurant charged me $117.90 on the card!

I guess you don't remember the exact bill amount now? If it was 58.95, then that's exactly half of $117.90, so somebody may have screwed up and input the bill amount as the tip amount. I've had that happen to me in the past, and it wasn't a problem to get the restaurant to fix it, so hopefully you'll be able to get ahold of management and they'll fix it for you too.
Apr 23, 2009
888 posts
51 upvotes
shahn2 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:26 am
I took my parents for dinner at a decent Hakka Chinese Restaurant in Mississauga.
Now I check my credit card statement (PC Mastercard) and find that the restaurant charged me $117.90 on the card! :confused:

Attempts to call the restaurant since yesterday have not resulted in anyone who can discuss this with me.
This was about 2 weeks back and I do not have the receipt on me anymore so I cant prove this to the credit card folks.
However, I know the Pre-Auth was for the $55 amount and it's a restaurant so I would think the credit card company should be do some math with that info.

I plan to try a couple more days to get in touch with someone at the restaurant, failing which I will get in touch with PC folks.

Any tips or personal experience on how to proceed here?

Try going to the restaurant and talking to the manager. Ask to see a copy of the bill to make sure it's wrong, and then tell them to take care of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4208 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
If you cant resolve it with the restaurant you supposed to call your CC and they open up a case. The restaurant should still have that piece of paper with your signature on it. My friend did that when a club overcharged him and the club couldnt find the statement.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2005
435 posts
6 upvotes
GSRee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:38 am
I guess you don't remember the exact bill amount now? If it was 58.95, then that's exactly half of $117.90, so somebody may have screwed up and input the bill amount as the tip amount. I've had that happen to me in the past, and it wasn't a problem to get the restaurant to fix it, so hopefully you'll be able to get ahold of management and they'll fix it for you too.

I dont remember the amount but I just totalled up my order based on their prices online (Kinda standard order when we go with the parents)

Total = $47.95
Tax = $6.23
Total w/tax = $54.18

I think I either put $6 or $7 as tip so that would bring it to $60.18 or $61.18

Lets hope I can get in touch with someone at the restaurant. Thanks for everyone's input.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2005
435 posts
6 upvotes
Adams06 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:46 am
Try going to the restaurant and talking to the manager. Ask to see a copy of the bill to make sure it's wrong, and then tell them to take care of it.

I am out in Toronto and restaurant's out in Mississauga so did not want to make a special trip for it.
I guess my parents will get another surprise visit this week! ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8047 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Adams06 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:46 am
shahn2 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 10:55 am
I am out in Toronto and restaurant's out in Mississauga so did not want to make a special trip for it.
Phone the restaurant and ask to speak with the manager. Explain what happened. Ask him/her to look up the merchant's copy of the transaction. (Presumably you know the date and approximate time when you paid.) Then ask him to compare that with the CC's accounting.

Ideally s/he should be able to sort this out with their CC company and you should get a refund of the difference. If not, ask if they can fax/email you a copy of the receipt and an extract of their accounting.

If the manager resists cooperation, then remind them how often you visit the area, how often you and your parents eat out and let him/her do the math ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
49 upvotes
London ON
i also believe restaurants are supposed to keep receipts for 7 years?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3569 posts
497 upvotes
Richmond
jordanr1987 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 11:36 am
i also believe restaurants are supposed to keep receipts for 7 years?
It might vary slightly from one cc company to another, but the merchant's hard copies certainly have to be kept on file well beyond a few weeks.

As a merchant, my cc company requires that I keep my copies for 6 years. If a customer files a dispute with their cc two years (let alone 2 weeks) after the fact, I can find my copy in a matter of minutes.

I suggest you save yourself the hassle of running/phoning around, and just file a dispute with your cc company. If the merchant can't produce their copy in a timely manner, the cc company will credit you accordingly.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4208 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 11:02 am
If the manager resists cooperation, then remind them how often you visit the area, how often you and your parents eat out and let him/her do the math ;)
:facepalm: Thats a horrible 'or else' suggestion but typical of what an RFDer would try to do.

Like mentioned above you should dispute it with the CC.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8047 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
No Frills wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 11:51 am
:facepalm: Thats a horrible 'or else' suggestion but typical of what an RFDer would try to do.
"Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate." :rolleyes:

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4208 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 11:56 am

sorry sweetie! :razz:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1956 upvotes
Dispute the charge with PC Mastercard. The restaurant will have to provide a signed slip for that amount or the charge will be reversed. Next time keep your receipt. You should keep all your cc receipts.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2291 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 11:56 am

I can catch a lot more flies with manure, but what's your point? :lol:

Sorry, just had to throw that in there after I heard it on Big Bang Theory recently :P
× < >