Fashion & Beauty

Suit / Blazer for Grad Student

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2017 8:05 pm
Apr 30, 2017
3 posts

Suit / Blazer for Grad Student

I'm progressively more in need of professional wear for meetings, presentations, and teaching. I'd be grateful for any recommendations for getting my hands on a decent suit or blazer.

Some details:
  • I'm in Ottawa, and so the Spier and Mackay / Suit Supply options are a bit out of reach. I'm certainly willing to take the drive down / give mail order a shot if this is the best bet. I've also heard some recommendations for an elusive "Jimmy the Suit Guy".
  • I've always struggled with fit from local stores like The Bay, although I have yet to try getting a suit tailored. I tend to have trouble with off-the-rack stuff because I'm fairly short (5'8) / slim, except for a slight waist that causes shirts to feel tight when I sit down.
  • Budget is around $500.
  • Chest / Waist measurements are 38/35.
Thank you!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you're going OTR, you'll want to have the "S" monicker added to your size to accommodate for your height (ex: 38S) as suit lengths are only adjustable to a degree.

SuitSupply might be a good option in the sense that their shipping & returns are free and you can select specific jacket sizes separately from pant sizes. There's also a SS store in Montreal now which isn't too far from you (compared to Toronto).
I think Jimmy the Suit Guy is a bit out of your price range as he's MTM if memory serves.
Apr 30, 2017
3 posts
uber_shnitz wrote: If you're going OTR, you'll want to have the "S" monicker added to your size to accommodate for your height (ex: 38S) as suit lengths are only adjustable to a degree.

SuitSupply might be a good option in the sense that their shipping & returns are free and you can select specific jacket sizes separately from pant sizes. There's also a SS store in Montreal now which isn't too far from you (compared to Toronto).
I think Jimmy the Suit Guy is a bit out of your price range as he's MTM if memory serves.
Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, as I am not sure if I am misreading this: From the SuitSupply sizing chart, a 38S corresponds to a chest measurement of 40.7 inches. This seems a bit different from the way other 38S measurements tend to be for suits. Additionally, the waist measurement seems to be a bit bigger. Is this something a tailor could easily adjust?
Becks wrote: Topshop has clothes made for ur body type.
Do you mean Topman? Or do I just have a wicked, feminine body type?
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
steveyoh wrote: Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, as I am not sure if I am misreading this: From the SuitSupply sizing chart, a 38S corresponds to a chest measurement of 40.7 inches. This seems a bit different from the way other 38S measurements tend to be for suits. Additionally, the waist measurement seems to be a bit bigger. Is this something a tailor could easily adjust?
If it's <2in a tailor can usually alter it yes.

Also with SS, it depends on the fit, they have various ones; some that are more snug and some more loose. Their cheapest option is in the middle.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
steveyoh wrote: ...Do you mean Topman? Or do I just have a wicked, feminine body type?
Yes, Topman. It's a subsidiary of Topshop.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2014
1165 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
I feel your pain. I wish we had a good ottawa MTM alternative that was on par with S&M or SS. I've had to do Harry Rosen but I couldn't have afforded it as a grad student.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)