• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2009 12:16 am
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2009
17 posts
Richmond Hill

suits with surgeons cuffs

Has anyone bought a suit with surgeons cuffs that needed to be shortened? Was the adjustment made at the shoulder or the bottom of the sleeve?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
yes mine was adj at the shoulder to shorten. make sure your tailor does that or else your jacket will look like crap.
Mar 2, 2009
17 posts
Richmond Hill
jimmy-j wrote: yes mine was adj at the shoulder to shorten. make sure your tailor does that or else your jacket will look like crap.
Makes sense. Ok thanks!
Jul 30, 2006
988 posts
41 upvotes
This can be pretty hard to do depending on length. Maybe next time get an unfinished hem (I think it's called that) so you can add the surgeon cuffs after sleeve adjustments.
Mar 2, 2009
17 posts
Richmond Hill
Vashin wrote: This can be pretty hard to do depending on length. Maybe next time get an unfinished hem (I think it's called that) so you can add the surgeon cuffs after sleeve adjustments.
thanks for the tip!
Jun 4, 2007
348 posts
7 upvotes
Was your suit off the rack? It's hard to get a suit off the rack with unfinished sleeves. There are a few brands that come that way complete with a little fabric bag of buttons and thread, but they are generally the pricey ones like you find at Holt or Rosen.

It's more expensive and tricky to get the sleeves taken in at the head than hemmed. Make sure the tailor knows what they are doing or your suit might be screwed up. In general, avoid surgeon cuffs unless the sleeve length fits perfectly or its a made to measure suit.

I know stores like Club Monaco have suit jackets with this feature. To me its kind of dumb because very few people have arms perfectly matched to a template.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)