• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2018 6:56 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga

Summer camps options for middle class single father

I am looking for options to send my kids (8 & 11) to summer camp but I can not afford the prices and neither I can apply for low income as I have a job. I am separated and have 50% custody. I work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday and in summer I should be with my kids for a month but I can not even afford non overnight summers camps. I can take them with me to the office but not for 4 weeks or even 2. Thinking to leave them alone at home and request to leave office earlier. I live in Mississauga but work on Toronto downtown. Any ideas? How do you manage summer schedule when separated or both working?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6409 posts
3513 upvotes
Edmonton
Can you work from home? Do you have any holiday time saved up?

C
[OP]
Jul 19, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I can work from home but not for that long. I use that resource when really have not other option but just for 1 day per week. Same happens with vacation I have depleted that resource too and only have 1 week left that pretty sure I will need to use along until next year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6409 posts
3513 upvotes
Edmonton
Are there any local teenagers that could babysit during the day for you?

Personally, I wouldn't be leaving an 8 and 11 year old at home alone without some kind of supervision, especially since you're a fairly long ways away if something comes up. Not being judgy, just stating my personal view.

C
May 14, 2010
549 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga
Our child is at Camp through the City of Mississauga. The community centers have decent options and they average around $171 a week, but booking now is kind of late in the game and many are already booked solid.

Could you check Kijiji or daycarebear and research at home babysitters in your area and see if they have any summer openings, that would be my first option.

There is no way, I would be leaving the children home alone, unsupervised, they are too young.

What does the mother do during her time with the children?
Next year, I would be thinking of saving some vacation time for the summer when you know you have the kids.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
You are totally right. It is too far away so that is why it would be the very last option. A babysitter is going to charge a minimum of 12 CAD/h , still far from my league
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1092 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
What would the children's mother be doing if she had them? Could the children's mother's parents help out at all? Maybe ask them what their friends are doing over the summer just to get some other ideas.

Maybe get them some activity books and tablets to use if you are forced to leave them home alone. Teach the 11 year old how to microwave hot dogs or whatever leftovers there are. Call them to check up on them every hour or so. Leave your phone number for them in case they need to call you.

Maybe work would be OK if you worked from home for a couple of hours a day. That is, go into the office in the morning and leave early. Then work from home in the evening for the remaining hours.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1184 posts
492 upvotes
Some thoughts

- Municipal run camps, camps run by the local community centres, or boys and girls clubs are often less expensive. (At least in my city). They fill up quickly though. The are usually between $150 to 300 for the week, whereas private camps are usually in the $400+ range.
- churches in my city often run free day or really lose day camps even if you are not of that demination or religious.
- are there any other people in your neighbourhood with kids that you can pay? What about other friends with kids? Can you have different people look after them.
- juggling some of your hours, or working from home. Can you go in super early while the kids are sleeping (have breakfast items ready), then come home early and work from home in the after noons?
- some dayhomes/daycare will have summer spots to cover for the families that are on vacation, it’s not cheap, but you could call around.

Just as a side note, I did leave my kids at home at 8 and 11 for the whole day for the whole week. I did this because both had taken a safety at home along course earlier, the oldest had already been asked to baby sit other kids before, the oldest has her first aid/CPR certification and they are both very mature and know what to do in emergency situations. My kids are home alone this whole week, and I have no problems with it. However, during the school year they walk home by themselves, and are expected to start dinner. So they have been prepared. If your kids are capable (which only you can decide) it’s an option, but you do have to work with them first with smaller amounts of time, first a few hours, then an evening, then a day.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6409 posts
3513 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW... You may want to consider your relationship with your ex, and how she might react if she finds out the kids are being left home alone. It sucks that you have to consider that, but... Some ex's will use anything as a weapon.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4921 posts
449 upvotes
Scarborough
take sick leave and give em a doctors note later.
Spend time with your kids
Jan 3, 2018
34 posts
12 upvotes
What about advertising at your spiritual center? There are people such as retired people willing to help out their community members and don't really need the income. I met a single mom (in Manitoba) once that secured childcare from someone at her church for something like $50/day. Your kids won't need as much care as say a toddler so it might be possible. I hope you find something soon; this is a stressful situation. Good luck
Jan 3, 2018
34 posts
12 upvotes
Also look on Facebook or kijiji for 'nanny share'. These are people who already have nannies and are looking to split childcare costs. It might work out cheaper
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20871 posts
7709 upvotes
Ottawa
Take unpaid vacation, or request HR to allow you to go into negative vacation days.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4421 posts
720 upvotes
Aurora
Your 11 yr old should be just about ready to stay at home, at least for a couple of hours and take care of the little one. Pretty good article on leaving kids alone here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/no-summe ... -1.3483783

According to the article, In Ontario:
Ontario's Child and Family Services Act states that a child under the age of 16 may not be left unattended "without making provision for his or her supervision and care that is reasonable in the circumstances."

The "circumstances" include the maturity of the individual child, says John Syrtash, a family law lawyer and counsel with Garfin Zeidenberg LP in Toronto.
So the law allows for leeway. We've left our 12 year old alone for good parts of the day a good number of times without issues.

Off topic: I wonder who the jackass is who downvoted this thread.