Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2102 posts
166 upvotes

Summer Experience Program

Summer Experience Program - Anyone with experience? which Ministry and position? Discuss. I have an interview coming up what can i expect.
12 replies
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: Summer Experience Program - Anyone with experience? which Ministry and position? Discuss. I have an interview coming up what can i expect.
Had a position as IT officer at Ministry of Finance. Basically I used Microsoft Access to design a database for my division. Interview was really easy, the manager told me to come to work on the following Monday right after the interview, followed by a tour of the office.

Interview questions were all behavioural, like why you want to work for the government, and what kind of work experience you've had.... etc
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
Raptors4Life wrote: What are the pay for these types of jobs?
Minimum wage. But the job is pretty easy-going, and it's mainly for people who needs work experience on their resume. So it's much better than working at let's say Burger King, because the quality of the work is relatively much better, even though the pay is peanuts.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2102 posts
166 upvotes
did u have a panel interview?
Dec 9, 2007
281 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga and Hami…
I start on Monday with the Ministry of Health... My only issue is the pay lol considering I'm going to be travelling from Mississauga to Bay st. everyday thats about 50 bucks a week spent on travelling.... after other deductions I'm only going to gross 280-290ish? which is nothing :( I'm going to see if I can talk to them and perhaps get a little bit more. I need to make around 6000 this summer for the school year! Any suggestions?
May 27, 2007
15699 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
bluser wrote: I start on Monday with the Ministry of Health... My only issue is the pay lol considering I'm going to be travelling from Mississauga to Bay st. everyday thats about 50 bucks a week spent on travelling.... after other deductions I'm only going to gross 280-290ish? which is nothing :( I'm going to see if I can talk to them and perhaps get a little bit more. I need to make around 6000 this summer for the school year! Any suggestions?
In the same boat as you.
I work for one of the Summer Experience Program employers, getting paid minimum wage working 9-5 (But i surf the internet/MSN half the time...).

Plus, i work part time in the evening, so i leave after work =)
You should look for a PT to do after your regular 9-5 (if you're up to it, not much time left to socialize, especially when i work most weekends too). :(
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Nov 5, 2004
223 posts
1 upvote
were do you apply for these jobs?

link?
Nov 14, 2003
67 posts
bluser wrote: I start on Monday with the Ministry of Health... My only issue is the pay lol considering I'm going to be travelling from Mississauga to Bay st. everyday thats about 50 bucks a week spent on travelling.... after other deductions I'm only going to gross 280-290ish? which is nothing :( I'm going to see if I can talk to them and perhaps get a little bit more. I need to make around 6000 this summer for the school year! Any suggestions?
hey there =)! i worked for the ministry of finance last summer through sep, but good luck with it! as far as i know, the government is giving the ministries just enough money to pay you for the duration of your work contract @ minimum wage. try talking to them if you can stay longer than the 6-7 weeks that most contracts last. i extended my contract last year by 2 1/2 weeks and got paid a higher wage, but it's up to the ministry you're working for.

for the interview, once you go to one they're pretty much the same. it seemed like they had a script to follow about leadership experiences, skills, questions about what the specific ministry was. i later compared with my friend that had interviewed for health. i had two job interviews last year with finance and labour. the ministry of labour job followed the script, but i had to turn it down when the job was offered to me as i had already accepted the finance position which was offered to me at the interview like sardaukar.
Jan 15, 2007
107 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Is it too late to apply for one of the positions now?
When do they usually have these filled by...
Apr 27, 2008
726 posts
19 upvotes
astraea wrote: Is it too late to apply for one of the positions now?
When do they usually have these filled by...
Way too late now for all of them. The jobs have started already.