• Oct 3rd, 2011 1:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 3, 2008
193 posts
10 upvotes

Sump Pump runs every 15 min

Im in a new home.Our sump pump runs every 15 min even if there is no rain.If it rains its every 5 min.My builder said its just normal.Is it???My basement is dry no overflow but its kind of irritating.It flows out into my backyards and no sod yet.Should I be worried?
11 replies
Sep 4, 2009
79 posts
12 upvotes
Newmarket
chicaholic4ever wrote:
Sep 25th, 2011 12:52 pm
Im in a new home.Our sump pump runs every 15 min even if there is no rain.If it rains its every 5 min.My builder said its just normal.Is it???My basement is dry no overflow but its kind of irritating.It flows out into my backyards and no sod yet.Should I be worried?

my sump runs every 15min when it raining or the snow is melting…when it dry out it does not run...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5757 posts
543 upvotes
Well that water is coming from somewhere. Make sure that the ground around your house is sloping well away from the house and that the sump pump hose outside is well away from the house. There's the possibility that the water from the sump pump is soaking into the ground outside and making it's way back to the house and getting recycled back through the sump pump again. Alternatively you may simply have a lot of ground water in your area at the moment for whatever reason which keeps the sump pump going.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6581 posts
623 upvotes
Alberta
Naturally high ground water table? The water has to come from somewhere (downpipes from eavestrough or perimeter drains around the footings?)....and go somewhere (drain pit full of drain rock??).

Dave
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
372 upvotes
Oakville
Make sure the water being pumped out is far enough away from the house.
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
24 upvotes
behind your left sho…
dogge99 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2011 12:55 pm
my sump runs every 15min when it raining or the snow is melting…when it dry out it does not run...
Same with my home's sump pump. On average "normal day", the pump is off. After extreme rainy day, it goes off every 10-15 minutes. After 2+ days, the water table under our home "settles down" to its lower level, and our sump pump goes back to normally off....

to OP: Is there other homes on your street you can compare your sump pump's behaviour and/our basement's depth to your basement's depth? Hopefully, you can compare with others in your same spot. If all homes have consistent behaviour, then its normal - for that specific spot.

Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
20 upvotes
OTTAWA
And a river runs through it... the title of a movie and the fact for some of us. You may have, as we do, an underground spring/creek that runs under the area your home is built on. During a dry season though, such as fall, there should be no pump running and no water (if you are in Ontario at least) Another thing to check is that there was a check valve installed, to stop the pumped water from washing back into the sump after the pump stops.
Nov 14, 2008
503 posts
140 upvotes
Spike99 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2011 8:06 pm
Same with my home's sump pump. On average "normal day", the pump is off. After extreme rainy day, it goes off every 10-15 minutes. After 2+ days, the water table under our home "settles down" to its lower level, and our sump pump goes back to normally off....

to OP: Is there other homes on your street you can compare your sump pump's behaviour and/our basement's depth to your basement's depth? Hopefully, you can compare with others in your same spot. If all homes have consistent behaviour, then its normal - for that specific spot.

During heavy rain my sump goes every 2 mins, and takes a day to settle back down. I live in a neighbourhood where everyone has a sump and the water table is high and the soil is clay, its probably reclaimed swamp but people have been living here for 50+ years....
A plumber recommended that we (he) dig out out pit more and add another backup pump using water pressure. The size of the pit is obviously the reason why it goes so often.
I currently only have a deep cycle battery backup which apparently will only work a couple of times when the power is out so is fairly useless

I am also looking to buy a generator, the hyndai 3500w at walmart on sale this week $350 is probably going to be it..
[OP]
Sep 3, 2008
193 posts
10 upvotes
lostintransit wrote:
Sep 25th, 2011 9:14 pm
During heavy rain my sump goes every 2 mins, and takes a day to settle back down. I live in a neighbourhood where everyone has a sump and the water table is high and the soil is clay, its probably reclaimed swamp but people have been living here for 50+ years....
A plumber recommended that we (he) dig out out pit more and add another backup pump using water pressure. The size of the pit is obviously the reason why it goes so often.
I currently only have a deep cycle battery backup which apparently will only work a couple of times when the power is out so is fairly useless

I am also looking to buy a generator, the hyndai 3500w at walmart on sale this week $350 is probably going to be it..

Thank you to all the answers.I will ask my neighbors and my builder again.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3486 posts
105 upvotes
My neighbour has the same issue. Pump is running constantly, and mine never runs at all, except in spring time. He has a hose extending the output all the way to the rear of the property, but it makes the back corners of our lots swampy and very wet all year round...
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever the reason ... get a backup plan. Otherwise you are looking at a flood. Consider a generator if the main power goes out.
× < >