Sunglasses UV protection

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2018 1:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
319 posts
90 upvotes

Sunglasses UV protection

I bought some glasses online and I want to verify that they are uv protected.

I've went to a few sunglasses stores, but none of them were willing to test it.

I don't mind spending a small fee, does anyone know of a place in Mississauga that will test my glasses?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17989 posts
2662 upvotes
GTA West
I tested this using one of those small UV flashlights and my passport.

Normally the UV flashlight will reveal the hidden features in your passport.
But if you shine it through the eyeglasses lens, it should prevent the hidden passport features from lighting up.

Of course, never shine a UV flashlight straight into your eyes!
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11995 posts
1751 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Hey OP, it sucks that the stores u visited were unwilling to test for u. U should name them here! I watched a consumer segment on the news where they said that UV protection degrades over time. So, if u have older sunglasses, u should get them tested!!! They said u can go to a store like u did to get them tested. Ack!
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
319 posts
90 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 10:57 am
I tested this using one of those small UV flashlights and my passport.

Normally the UV flashlight will reveal the hidden features in your passport.
But if you shine it through the eyeglasses lens, it should prevent the hidden passport features from lighting up.

Of course, never shine a UV flashlight straight into your eyes!
I bought this flashlight: https://www.amazon.ca/Vansky-Detector-F ... B011LPWXV6 and shined it through my new raybans, my friend's raybans, and my mom's old sunglasses.

The security features on my credit card lit up everytime, so I'm not sure if it's the light or if all my glasses are missing uv protection.

I think I'm just going to stick to using my sunglasses while driving. Automobile glass is supposed to be UV protected, so I think that should keep me safe.

Becks wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 1:10 pm
Hey OP, it sucks that the stores u visited were unwilling to test for u. U should name them here! I watched a consumer segment on the news where they said that UV protection degrades over time. So, if u have older sunglasses, u should get them tested!!! They said u can go to a store like u did to get them tested. Ack!
I went to the Ray bans store in square one, but the lady there was offended that I even suggested the uv coating could wear off. I kept insisting I wanted them tested, but eventually I just left.

Also tried a couple dedicated sunglasses shops on bay st, but no luck there.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17989 posts
2662 upvotes
GTA West
PerformingAzura wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:42 pm
I bought this flashlight: https://www.amazon.ca/Vansky-Detector-F ... B011LPWXV6 and shined it through my new raybans, my friend's raybans, and my mom's old sunglasses.

The security features on my credit card lit up everytime, so I'm not sure if it's the light or if all my glasses are missing uv protection.

I think I'm just going to stick to using my sunglasses while driving. Automobile glass is supposed to be UV protected, so I think that should keep me safe.

I went to the Ray bans store in square one, but the lady there was offended that I even suggested the uv coating could wear off. I kept insisting I wanted them tested, but eventually I just left.

Also tried a couple dedicated sunglasses shops on bay st, but no luck there.
That's disturbing. The last time I tried this test (using my passport,) my regular Crizal lenses definitely blocked the UV.

Also, it looks like that light has a very wide beam. It could be that light is bouncing around the room or getting around the edges of your lenses to reach the credit card.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
319 posts
90 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 2:13 pm
That's disturbing. The last time I tried this test (using my passport,) my regular Crizal lenses definitely blocked the UV.

Also, it looks like that light has a very wide beam. It could be that light is bouncing around the room or getting around the edges of your lenses to reach the credit card.
Well I have the flashlight right up against the glass to try and minimize the the light escaping, but I can't deny that's a factor.

That's part of the reason I wanted to get it tested professionally.

I think I should be safe wearing it inside the car though, and that's primarily the reason why I bought it.

My buddy says fashion > vision, so he's gonna keep wearing this Ray Bans. Hopefully its a long time before he goes blind.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4144 posts
1104 upvotes
Debtario
Get some cheap clear safety glasses, and try your UV test. Polycarbonate plastic blocks UV, if you're still seeing security features light up there is likely something wrong with your test method. Most reputable opticians should have a machine to test UV performance and give you a quantifiable number.

Most sunglasses are rated to block certain range of wavelengths, tint has very little to do with UV blocking, and glass lenses may not block 100%. That's just through the lens, UV light also enters through the sides between the lenses and your eyes, particularly on sunglasses that don't wrap-around and sit some distance from your face.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)