Home & Garden

Sunrise Simulation Alarm- Anyone have one?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 9:18 am
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
40 posts
19 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario

Sunrise Simulation Alarm- Anyone have one?

I am thinking about buying one of these sunrise alarms for my wife. https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-HF3520-Wa ... B0093162RM
it looks gimmicky and expensive enough to make a great gift lol but at $120 is it worth buying? I know there are knock offs and cheaper models but surely the $120 price tag must prove to be different correct?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1033 posts
539 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a $40 clone. It does everything the Phillips does, these aren't complicated products.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3853 posts
549 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RFDizzy wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:59 pm
I am thinking about buying one of these sunrise alarms for my wife. https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-HF3520-Wa ... B0093162RM
it looks gimmicky and expensive enough to make a great gift lol but at $120 is it worth buying? I know there are knock offs and cheaper models but surely the $120 price tag must prove to be different correct?
Costco in the past has had it on sale at $90.
costco-philips-hf3510-60-wake-up-light-89-99-2080479/

I reluctantly paid that much 2 yrs ago. I still feel it's overpriced at $90. IMO it's value priced at $75.

All it is is the simulated sunrise and noise.

Would agree with iflyplanes, there are cheaper clones.

IMO $120 is too steep.

But hey, whatever makes your wife all sunshine and lollipops.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
40 posts
19 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Actually just ordered the HF3520 because it has a red spectrum to it. The Costco model is the 3510 without the red light. Expensive yes but happy wife happy life.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2020 posts
979 upvotes
Oakville, ON
RFDizzy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:22 am
Actually just ordered the HF3520 because it has a red spectrum to it. The Costco model is the 3510 without the red light. Expensive yes but happy wife happy life.
Please report back after you’ve used for a while.
Feb 14, 2012
49 posts
19 upvotes
Woodbridge
I had one of these and ended up returning. I felt that the price was to much for what it was providing. I did like the idea of waking up with light in the winter months though. Can't really comment on the whole red light idea, mine had it but it seemed to be more of a gimmick. What I ended up doing is getting a Wemo dimmer switch and set it to start turning on the bedroom light slowly (15 minutes to full brightness), works great, always wake up before the alarm, right around the time the room reaches full brightness.
Nov 17, 2014
386 posts
138 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
It's a good gift idea. Personally I got an app for my phone that does it and it always wakes me up before my alarm. Obviously I can't imagine it's as good as an actual device but then again I didnt pay for anything for it.
Jul 3, 2017
417 posts
252 upvotes
I did try a sunrise simulator for a while, but found it wasn't that effective for me. If it was set for around my normal wakeup time, then it would tend to wake me in the first few seconds of dim light.

Now I use a smart bulb with a little fancier programming. I have it set to turn on dimly just for a minute around my normal wakeup time. If I don't say "Ok Google, I'm awake" to my Google Home Mini, it turns the light off again and lets me sleep another 15 minutes. If I do say that I'm awake, GH starts turning up the light slowly, and after a few minutes it turns on the morning news radio and starts the coffee maker in the kitchen. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8484 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I have one and it works well for me since I work shifts.

It really depends. Your sleep habits, and yourself... for my line of work it's great.

I really like Exp315's smart home functions though, would love that idea but have no clue how to set that up, lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3656 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
I have a cheaper model and actually love it, for me it’s a great way to get up in the morning. I’ve had one for about four years now. I ended up giving my original to my teen and bought another with a radio for myself. Honestly, it’s a bit of a game changer for my kid too, he wakes up so much easier now.

Love the idea of a wemo switch or google home though!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18609 posts
3709 upvotes
Thornhill
I've been using the Philips alarm clock wake-up light and its been magical. Mornings, especially winter mornings when its still dark in the AM, are nothing to me anymore. My biggest gripe is, why no internal battery?

Other then that, its been a very good investment.
Jun 11, 2010
298 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
Exp315 wrote: I did try a sunrise simulator for a while, but found it wasn't that effective for me. If it was set for around my normal wakeup time, then it would tend to wake me in the first few seconds of dim light.

Now I use a smart bulb with a little fancier programming. I have it set to turn on dimly just for a minute around my normal wakeup time. If I don't say "Ok Google, I'm awake" to my Google Home Mini, it turns the light off again and lets me sleep another 15 minutes. If I do say that I'm awake, GH starts turning up the light slowly, and after a few minutes it turns on the morning news radio and starts the coffee maker in the kitchen. :)
Are you using home assistant to do these automations?