• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes

Sunroom/Addition from LifeStyle Home Products

Is anyone here using a sunroom/addition from LifeStyle Home Products ? Their salesman seems very knowledgeable and price is better than Four Seasons. I still find the price is higher than I expect though even they are quoting with all pre-fab panels. So, it is pretty much assembly work other than the foundation building. Also, it is kind of odd to me that they actually do not do the flooring and drywall painting (if your job requires dry wall finish). I think they are originally a local Canadian window company and expands into sunroom products. Thus, they don't do too much other reno types of works, Based on what the salesman told me, they no longer sell those old traditional style of sunroom products which have glass top all the way from the roof to the ground as they found there are leak issues. Thus, the current products now are more like a combinations of addition and sunroom with regular roof like a house and lot of windows on the sides. Anyway, would love hear others' comments :)
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1793 posts
418 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:30 am
Is anyone here using a sunroom/addition from LifeStyle Home Products ? Their salesman seems very knowledgeable and price is better than Four Seasons. I still find the price is higher than I expect though even they are quoting with all pre-fab panels. So, it is pretty much assembly work other than the foundation building. Also, it is kind of odd to me that they actually do not do the flooring and drywall painting (if your job requires dry wall finish). I think they are originally a local Canadian window company and expands into sunroom products. Thus, they don't do too much other reno types of works, Based on what the salesman told me, they no longer sell those old traditional style of sunroom products which have glass top all the way from the roof to the ground as they found there are leak issues. Thus, the current products now are more like a combinations of addition and sunroom with regular roof like a house and lot of windows on the sides. Anyway, would love hear others' comments :)
You can still get the "atrium" style with the windows as a ceiling but they are awfully expensive.

Where are you located? That would help us recommend someone.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:33 pm
You can still get the "atrium" style with the windows as a ceiling but they are awfully expensive.

Where are you located? That would help us recommend someone.
The ones Lifestyle quotes/uses now are the "atrium" style with regular roof top as they no longer install glass top roof. Like I said, what they build now is like a combination sunroom/addition i.e. an addition with regular roof top shingles on the top and super large windows coverage on the sides.

I am in Vaughan.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1793 posts
418 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:41 pm
The ones Lifestyle quotes/uses now are the "atrium" style with regular roof top as they no longer install glass top roof. Like I said, what they build now is like a combination sunroom/addition i.e. an addition with regular roof top shingles on the top and super large windows coverage on the sides.

I am in Vaughan.
Don't know anyone up that way, but a customer I visited I his house in Brantford had a new one with a glass roof put on last year. Just about anyone can do an aluminum one with a standard roof.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:58 pm
Don't know anyone up that way, but a customer I visited I his house in Brantford had a new one with a glass roof put on last year. Just about anyone can do an aluminum one with a standard roof.
Based on what the sales rep from LifeStyle Home Product told me, they no longer sell sunroom with glass roof top due to leaking issues. Like what I said, the products they are selling now are hybrid of sunroom and addition.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1793 posts
418 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:42 am
Based on what the sales rep from LifeStyle Home Product told me, they no longer sell sunroom with glass roof top due to leaking issues. Like what I said, the products they are selling now are hybrid of sunroom and addition.
There are more brands than LifeStyle Home Products. It's not an atrium style if the roof isn't glass just like it's not a convertible-style with a fixed roof in a car.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:45 am
There are more brands than LifeStyle Home Products. It's not an atrium style if the roof isn't glass just like it's not a convertible-style with a fixed roof in a car.
I know there are other sunroom products but I think not many are made by local Canadian companies which are designed for our 4 seasons weather in Canada. Even the "Four Seasons" franchise are selling US products, and I was told that they are also buying 4 seasons panels from LifeStyle. And lot other prefab sunroom kits from US are meant to be 3 seasons.

By the way, for me, I just want additional space/room and it doesn't have to be a sunroom. Thus, I have been looking for the option to build an addition as well. I am just surprised that a sunroom with all those prefab windows and panels built on a wooden/deck foundation could cost as much or even more than solid built addition with concrete foundation. Could someone tell me why ? Glasses are very expensive here ? or good insulated glasses are expensive to made ? I was told that even those aluminium frames are specially made for weather and condensation proof.
May 3, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
We splurged for a "conservatory" (6-sided gazebo) style solarium with glass roof, from Florian Sunroom, about 5+ years ago. No leaks from the glass roof, whatsoever.
Take care,
Kam.

"Life in the Fast Lane is a short ride." #KamQuotes
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Kameo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:33 pm
We splurged for a "conservatory" (6-sided gazebo) style solarium with glass roof, from Florian Sunroom, about 5+ years ago. No leaks from the glass roof, whatsoever.
I see. Is it a four season solarium ? Do you mind sharing how big it is and how much it costs ? Thanks
May 3, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Our solarium extends from our patio door way, at the corner of our existing L-shaped deck. We have a wall-mounted Mitsubishi heat/cool unit so this is a 4-season room, basically an extension of the house, which is why we also had to get the corresponding permits. The size is about 10' x 14' (~140 sq. ft.), at ~$55,000. Btw, we actually did have a leak, but from the top of the solarium's sliding door. The leak only happened under certain windy, rainy days, and it was very difficult to find the leak point. Even under a garden hose soak test it wouldn't leak! The owner of Florian (franchise) persisted and finally found & fixed the source, after several visits/attempts!
Take care,
Kam.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Thanks for the sharing the information. Wow, it is over $300 per sq ft which is more the price for building a custom house. I still wonder who how a sunroom with all prefab glass windows can be more expensive than building a regular addition or house per sq ft. Maybe the glass is very expensive ?
Kameo wrote:
May 21st, 2017 11:00 am
Our solarium extends from our patio door way, at the corner of our existing L-shaped deck. We have a wall-mounted Mitsubishi heat/cool unit so this is a 4-season room, basically an extension of the house, which is why we also had to get the corresponding permits. The size is about 10' x 14' (~140 sq. ft.), at ~$55,000. Btw, we actually did have a leak, but from the top of the solarium's sliding door. The leak only happened under certain windy, rainy days, and it was very difficult to find the leak point. Even under a garden hose soak test it wouldn't leak! The owner of Florian (franchise) persisted and finally found & fixed the source, after several visits/attempts!
May 3, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
The glass is tough; it withstood tree branches falling on it during the Ice Storm--it's supposedly 'aircraft glass'. But solariums are even more expensive now, as one of our friends seriously considered a sunroom extension off their kitchen-dining area, and talked to Florian at the Home Show.
Take care,
Kam.

May 3, 2010
130 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
But it's all worth it when you discover how enjoyable it is to sit 'virtually outside' in any kind of weather, be it a -30°C winter day, snow storm, hail, rain, or sun!
Take care,
Kam.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Kameo wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 3:53 pm
But it's all worth it when you discover how enjoyable it is to sit 'virtually outside' in any kind of weather, be it a -30°C winter day, snow storm, hail, rain, or sun!
I am trying to persuade my wife with that. however she said she can't justify spending over $50k for 200 sq ft or less space vs $20-30k can finish the basement with a 1000+ sq ft LOL
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7049 posts
305 upvotes
Kameo wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 3:48 pm
The glass is tough; it withstood tree branches falling on it during the Ice Storm--it's supposedly 'aircraft glass'. But solariums are even more expensive now, as one of our friends seriously considered a sunroom extension off their kitchen-dining area, and talked to Florian at the Home Show.
By the way, I thought Florian only sells 3 seasons sunroom as I remember in last home show, only booth that sells 4 seasons sunroom was LifeStyle Home Products.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel