• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2010 6:50 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes

Sunwing baggage allowance : watch out!

I've flown sunwing domestically before with good results. They often come in much cheaper than AC/WJ.

I need to fly one-way Calgary to Toronto this next week so I checked the three airlines for pricing and found the following after-tax pricing:
AC: $225
WJ: $225
Sunwing: $157

So sunwing comes in $68 cheaper and includes an in-flight meal with wine. Not bad!

However, I thought I'd check sunwing's baggage allowance since the other two airlines have tacked on the extra fee for a second bag. Here is sunwing's new baggage allowance as of July 26:

[QUOTE]You may travel with up to 2 pieces of checked baggage for which the total weight of both pieces together cannnot exceed 20KGs, (except when a higher weight is stipulated on the ticket). The overall dimensions (total of length, width and height) cannot exceeding 158cm (62in) for the first piece, and 139cm (55in) for the second piece. Any items exceeding these limits will be subject to the applicable excess baggage charge. [/QUOTE]

So, Sunwing allows you to carry two bags rather than just one but with a combined weight of 20KG which is less than the 23KG single bag allowed by AC and WJ. ADDITIONALLY, whereas AC and WJ allow you to check a second bag (up to 23KG) for $25, Sunwing charges $20 per KG for any extra baggage!

That means that to bring my *empty* suitcase (5KG) as a second bag on Sunwing it would cost $100! A full (23KG) suitcase would incur a whopping $460 fee!

I'm glad I checked this before I booked my flight. Sunwing is still a good way to save money on a flight, but not if you need to bring a normal amount of luggage!
17 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
jackboot wrote: I've flown sunwing domestically before with good results. They often come in much cheaper than AC/WJ.

I need to fly one-way Calgary to Toronto this next week so I checked the three airlines for pricing and found the following after-tax pricing:

So sunwing comes in $68 cheaper and includes an in-flight meal with wine. Not bad!

However, I thought I'd check sunwing's baggage allowance since the other two airlines have tacked on the extra fee for a second bag. Here is sunwing's new baggage allowance as of July 26:

So, Sunwing allows you to carry two bags rather than just one but with a combined weight of 20KG which is less than the 23KG single bag allowed by AC and WJ. ADDITIONALLY, whereas AC and WJ allow you to check a second bag (up to 23KG) for $25, Sunwing charges $20 per KG for any extra baggage!

That means that to bring my *empty* suitcase (5KG) as a second bag on Sunwing it would cost $100! A full (23KG) suitcase would incur a whopping $460 fee!

I'm glad I checked this before I booked my flight. Sunwing is still a good way to save money on a flight, but not if you need to bring a normal amount of luggage!
This has pretty much been the same for the past 20 years for all of the charter flights. There are also other considerations...what happens if your flight is cancelled...can you simply hop on the next flight...if there are delays, typically the larger airlines will get flight takeoff and clearance first...

There are a number of other things to consider with charters...older airplanes (what is the age of the fleet etc) but if you are willing to accept them go nuts.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
nalababe wrote: This has pretty much been the same for the past 20 years for all of the charter flights.
I've flown sunwing domestically before and their baggage allowance was the same as the other airlines. It is only since July 26 that they are limiting your baggage to 20KG free.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Eh, I say just learn to pack lighter. I can't imagine bringing 20kg of stuff with me on a trip.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Eh, I say just learn to pack lighter. I can't imagine bringing 20kg of stuff with me on a trip.
My original post:
I need to fly one-way Calgary to Toronto
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
jackboot wrote: My original post: I need to fly one-way Calgary to Toronto
What difference does one way make? The baggage rules apply to the flight, not whether you are coming back or not? You don't get any more allowance on the way back.
The point that everyone is trying too make is that you misunderstood or were unaware of the baggage rules.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Eh, I say just learn to pack lighter. I can't imagine bringing 20kg of stuff with me on a trip.
As a 6' male travlling for a week, and not having access to a laundry, with the weight of the suitcase, I easily have 20kg.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
nalababe wrote: As a 6' male travlling for a week, and not having access to a laundry, with the weight of the suitcase, I easily have 20kg.
And as a 6' male who has travelled for two week vacations regularly without access to a laundry (my next trip starts this Thursday), I can easily get by with 11-12kg. And I thought I packed a bit on the excessive side. There are lots of sites out there that teach you how to streamline your travel wardrobe.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: What difference does one way make? The baggage rules apply to the flight, not whether you are coming back or not? You don't get any more allowance on the way back.
A one-way flight generally indicates that a person is moving for an indeterminate amount of time, not going on a holiday. I would be very surprised if the the average person can pack their life into 20KG.
pete_coach wrote: The point that everyone is trying too make is that you misunderstood or were unaware of the baggage rules.
Uh, how am I misunderstanding or unaware of the baggage rules? The point of my original post was to make *other* people aware of the strange baggage limits of sunwing, who has different limits than the main 2 airlines in Canada, as well as the high penalties for exceeding their limit.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
jackboot wrote: A one-way flight generally indicates that a person is moving for an indeterminate amount of time, not going on a holiday. I would be very surprised if the the average person can pack their life into 20KG.

Uh, how am I misunderstanding or unaware of the baggage rules? The point of my original post was to make *other* people aware of the strange baggage limits of sunwing, who has different limits than the main 2 airlines in Canada, as well as the high penalties for exceeding their limit.
If one way indicates that a person is moving for an indeterminate period of time, I would also think that person would ensure their life is not exceeding their baggage limits or find a means of transport that can carry their life.

Judging by the comments, it seems that most *other* people knew about the luggage limits. Many airlines have different rules. Folks who travel check these things. :)
Sep 8, 2004
255 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Use Canada Post or another courier to transport your goods, while taking just your toiletries and other bare essentials in your bag. You'll reach the destination before your stuff, even if you send it a day or two beforehand. Can time it so you only wait a day or so.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Judging by the comments, it seems that most *other* people knew about the luggage limits. Many airlines have different rules. Folks who travel check these things. :)
If you search the forum for "sunwing" you will find no mention of their new baggage limit. I was posting to inform anyone who might overlook this. For the record, I'm not travelling with sunwing but I thought I'd do the favour of posting this info for anyone who might be considering it. A handful of comments in this recent post is not at all indicative that "most other people" know about the new baggage limits that Sunwing has. Forgive me for wasting your time by posting this information. You might consider my intentions of posting the information (i.e., no self interest) before you offer up your condescending attitude. A smiley doesn't make the message any less condescending.
Nov 8, 2004
656 posts
1 upvote
[QUOTE]And as a 6' male who has travelled for two week vacations regularly without access to a laundry (my next trip starts this Thursday), I can easily get by with 11-12kg. And I thought I packed a bit on the excessive side. [/QUOTE]

Sure...but try doing this with an 11 month old infant who requires playpen, diapers, baby foods, books/toys. The infant gets no baggage allowance so you share. In my case this is a trip to cuba, so buying stuff at the destination is not possible.
Mar 2, 2010
2 posts
Sunwing are the worst airline I have ever flown with. If the flight was free I would give it to someone that I really dislike.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
68 upvotes
Baby/infant
Accessories
(stroller, car seat, playpen) and golf clubs are free.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
olebiker wrote: Sunwing are the worst airline I have ever flown with. If the flight was free I would give it to someone that I really dislike.
Do you mind sharing your experience? Were there any surprises or unexpected? We're thinking of flying with them next month :confused:
Nov 29, 2006
21 posts
dlander wrote: Sure...but try doing this with an 11 month old infant who requires playpen, diapers, baby foods, books/toys. The infant gets no baggage allowance so you share. In my case this is a trip to cuba, so buying stuff at the destination is not possible.
LOL! My husband and I never checked luggage until our daughter was born. Now we max it out every time! It's true the play pen and stroller would be free, but food, diapers and all that are HEAVY. At least you know your bags will be lighter on the way home!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
not sure what the other airlines charge for overages, but if sunwing charges you 20$ per kg over (3KG difference), then you are still saving 8$ compared to the other airlines

as the sunwing flight is 68$ cheaper

so for a light packer, this is ideal

this is just another way for a business to gouge an uniformed customer

best way to prevent such things is to do your research before hand
jackboot wrote: I've flown sunwing domestically before with good results. They often come in much cheaper than AC/WJ.

Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)