Travel

Sunwing Issues - need advice

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2018 6:58 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes there is. Pick an airport and google them.
My point was, they have penny pinchers too.... the fact that Ryanair is really hurting carriers like BA over there, while on this side of the pond, Spirit, Frontier et al aren't hurting DL, AA, UA in America speaks volumes (and Flair Airlines doesn't even register in Air Canada and WestJet's radars). The generalization that Europeans are overall "big spenders" on travel vs North Americans and ready to splurge on everything, just doesn't hold water.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
tequilla wrote: ULCC are not flying here mostly because of regulation and semi-monopoly of
main player(s).
Dublin-London on RyanAir 20E RT. Compare with Montreal-Toronto.
50 mins -- sometimes I stand same time in train/metro going to work.
I do not need "expensive service" flying 50 mins.
Give me 30 CAD RT to Toronto! RyanAir any time.
Cheers!
Nobody stopped Porter from going into business but they decided to be upscale (with an all Premium Economy format, bordering on Business class) rather than join the (hate that term) race to the bottom. Porter could have started Southwest style running a Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal triangle (much like how Southwest started as Dallas - Houston - San Antonio) and packed them into those turboprops like sardines. If they dd that, then you'd have your Canadian Ryanair.

The best solution (but it'll never happen) is high speed rail for that triangle. Toronto to Montreal should be a non stop that takes 2 hours downtown to downtown. Not 50 min flying after taking an hour or more to get from wherever you are to the airport, and thru security, then boarding, then taxiing...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Nobody stopped Porter from going into business but they decided to be upscale (with an all Premium Economy format, bordering on Business class) rather than join the (hate that term) race to the bottom. Porter could have started Southwest style running a Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal triangle (much like how Southwest started as Dallas - Houston - San Antonio) and packed them into those turboprops like sardines. If they dd that, then you'd have your Canadian Ryanair.

The best solution (but it'll never happen) is high speed rail for that triangle. Toronto to Montreal should be a non stop that takes 2 hours downtown to downtown. Not 50 min flying after taking an hour or more to get from wherever you are to the airport, and thru security, then boarding, then taxiing...
It’s a matter of economics (and population)

More profitable for Porter become another regular airline in Canada (albeit just here in the East) vs a Discounter... got to make money somehow and it ain’t on volume like it is in the USA

Same with the nice pipe dream of having a high speed train in the Quebec City to Windsor corridor (ala Shinkansen in Japan).

Would love it... but it’s never going to happen... just not enough population here to support it / keep it running. Even just getting it built would ba a nightmare / prohibitive when you look at costing.

Funny thing is, the way airlines are now... a lot of folks opt for the “milk run” on Via vs flying in this corridor anyhow... prices are better on the train. Service is better (esp in 1st Class Business) ... and downtown to downtown... no crazy commute to & from airports on the outskirts, or having to show up hours in advance of flights. It’s a win win. Know lots of folks who take the train either for business or pleasure. Business folks like they can get work done, or enjoy drinks & a decent meal. Been a big fan of trains my whole life... and this one rocks for sure
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: You brought the 787 into the discussion, I didn't. But the 787 is the aging 767's replacement -- the very plane ACR uses on many of those routes. Maybe when AC's first 787's near retirement they'll be repainted in ACR livery, but that's still years away.

But it seems to be your answer to any and every complaint about Sunwing is to beat us over the head with yet another lecture about how great TUI is. Here's how you come off:

RFD: Sunwing delayed my departure by 48 hours! My vacation is ruined!
BG: Sunwing is owned by TUI, the world's largest and best tour company. So STFU and keep flying Sunwing.

RFD: My Sunwing resort in Cuba was a dump!
BG: Sunwing is owned by TUI, the world's largest and best tour company. So STFU and keep flying Sunwing.

RFD: Sunwing stranded me in the Dominican during a hurricane!

RFD: My Sunwing plane sat on the tarmac and didn't move for 8 hours!

and so on and so on. That's how you come off in every Sunwing complaint thread. The act is tired and old. Namedropping TUI won't convince these people to fly Sunwing again. You're certainly not convincing me to try them. I get that given your insider involvement you probably aren't at liberty to recommend/not recommend any particular airline or tour company over another. But in these situations you sound like you're Sunwing/TUI's PR person infiltrating the board to do damage control.

If somebody had a bad experience with Virgin Atlantic are you going to beat them over the head about how great Richard Branson is? Or if somebody complains about Virgin Mobile in the mobile phones discussion should I beat them over
the head about how great BCE is? How does that solve their problem? If somebody had a bad experience, that owner failed them, no matter who they are. It doesn't matter that TUI offers top notch product to the Europeans. The fact is they aren't doing that here.
Deflection... yet again. I asked you a simple question (which still remains unanswered): WHO or WHAT is a SCAM? (definition: a dishonest scheme; a fraud). It is blatantly obvious you feel 'scammed' so I'm asking WHAT HAPPENED?

Please provide a link to post where I have promoted, defended or posted a biased towards Sunwing or any other carrier? I am NOT a supporter NOR a sympathizer.

The difference between you and I- I leave out the emotion/bias and post a FACT. Sure, this is an open FORUM post an opinion with a valid argument. But you have created several posts and threads with the same hate with no merit (which is interesting use of your time as you’ve made it clear you are particular which airlines you fly and you don't travel to the Caribbean?!)

If someone posts their issue with XYZ airline I will post the FACTS to help the OP without bias/emotion. If you receive a schedule change by an airline (in this thread: a charter) and you weren't aware of the terms and conditions you agreed to shall I sugar coat that or cry 'scam'? All of the unforeseen circumstances: delayed flights/baggage lost/missed connection/lack of customer service/flights are cancelled are issues that plague ALL airlines and I stand by my statement said on several previous threads that I 'play no favourites'.

I've said SEVERAL times I do not understand the allure of Cuba and I've questioned WHY anyone spends a dollar there as there is better value elsewhere (MY opinion). The FACT is, an issue with the hotel V.S an issue with the airline/tour operator that flew you there are two separate things (as in the MAJORITY of cases the tour operator/airline is only contracting THE hotel (dump) and my answer would be the same whether it’s Sunwing or Emirates).

So please again please direct me to a link where I've said anything OTHERWISE pleasant or promotional about Sunwing and where have I EVER included TUI (besides the explanation in this thread)? (As I really couldn't care less who you or anyone else flies including the airline that pays my bills. If anything I should be on here promoting how wonderful and amazing they are but I DON'T because even THEY pull stunts on passengers that I don't agree with!)

You've been called out on this before and seemed to disappear: joke-airlines-strikes-again-2187048/3/
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: What makes the European ULCC the worst?
The fact that Europe is eons older than most resorts and North American cities, the hotels are older. I disagree that the ulcc are worse. Star ratings are ambiguous at best anyway and rest assured, there are many 1 and 2 star hotels here too..
+1

Ryanair and Easyjet hold a massive market share. Easyjet being more favoured in terms of customer satisfaction. Given that most of their routes are short to medium haul with fares priced accordingly- never understood what is there to complain about? Domestic European flights on the larger flag carriers are nothing exciting either.

Primeria can’t even be held in the same catergory as Ryanair/ Easyjet given their destinations/fleet size. They are considered a charter and only until recently are trying the “scheduled carrier” format.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Nobody stopped Porter from going into business but they decided to be upscale (with an all Premium Economy format, bordering on Business class) rather than join the (hate that term) race to the bottom. Porter could have started Southwest style running a Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal triangle (much like how Southwest started as Dallas - Houston - San Antonio) and packed them into those turboprops like sardines. If they dd that, then you'd have your Canadian Ryanair.
Porter HAD to offer a competitive advantage over the routes serviced by AC/WS and other American carriers. YTZ has its advantages over Pearson but likely an equal amount of disadvantages as well. Even their choice of Chicago/NY airports they service have been strategic to keep costs down/offer a different product.

They have tapped into the leisure market with their “Porter Escapes” and their interline agreement with Jet Blue (via Boston). For short city trips they are doing well- for anything beyond (Las Vegas for example) it’s a tough market. I know they do well catering to niche markets like skiing in Mt Tremblant or the plethora of golf courses in Myrtle Beach.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)