34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6290 posts
3875 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another big Cross Mark on Sunwing’s Safety Record

https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/sunwing

And still people figure saving money is the most important aspect to their Travel Plans

I think that being in the WestJet and looking out the window at a plane that hit yours / touched and on fire would be terrifying... knowing that yours is loaded with Pax & Fuel... and you have few options on where to go quickly to escape

Sooo lucky this did not turn out worse

ADD / EDIT - The WestJet plane had just arrived inbound from Cancun.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 5th, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31952 posts
8265 upvotes
GTHA
Swissport Canada Handling Inc. confirmed to Global News its staff towed the Sunwing plane. Pierre Payette, vice president of operations for Toronto, said in a written statement the company “regrets” the incident and is cooperating with Transportation Safety Board investigators.

from https://globalnews.ca/news/3949217/sunw ... o-airport/
Feb 11, 2009
962 posts
219 upvotes
Absolutely freezing outside! I guess they got back into the terminal somehow Glad everyone made it out OK.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1054 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:48 pm
I think that being in the WestJet and looking out the window at a plane that hit yours / touched and on fire would be terrifying... knowing that yours is loaded with Pax & Fuel... and you have few options on where to go quickly to escape
And I'm sure a lot of them were caught offguard. Most people know that the most dangerous parts of a flight are takeoff and landing -- because if those go wrong, they go very wrong very fast. The people on the WestJet plane had already been through a successful takeoff, i assume an incident-free level flight (maybe some turbulence, but that doesn't matter here), a successful landing in Toronto (despite icy runways etc which I'm sure you'd be nervous about), and a successful taxi to ramp (so they didn't get T-boned by a plane on the wrong runway, that kind of disaster). So with the plane already on the ramp and almost at the gate you're 99.99% confident there won't be danger anymore. This was that 0.01%.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6290 posts
3875 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:38 am
And I'm sure a lot of them were caught offguard. Most people know that the most dangerous parts of a flight are takeoff and landing -- because if those go wrong, they go very wrong very fast. The people on the WestJet plane had already been through a successful takeoff, i assume an incident-free level flight (maybe some turbulence, but that doesn't matter here), a successful landing in Toronto (despite icy runways etc which I'm sure you'd be nervous about), and a successful taxi to ramp (so they didn't get T-boned by a plane on the wrong runway, that kind of disaster). So with the plane already on the ramp and almost at the gate you're 99.99% confident there won't be danger anymore. This was that 0.01%.
Good Points

(And i’m Sorry, I read it wrong ... I thought the WestJet plane was outbound for Cancun not arriving back)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1541 posts
281 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote:

https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/sunwing

And still people figure saving money is the most important aspect to their Travel Plans

Sooo lucky this did not turn out worse

ADD / EDIT - The WestJet plane had just arrived inbound from Cancun.
It wasn't sunwing's fault it was being towed by a company that was in a labor dispute or still is in one. Also Air Canada costs alot more and one of their better pilots almost crashed into a plane last year almost killing hundreds.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1054 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:01 am
It wasn't sunwing's fault it was being towed by a company that was in a labor dispute or still is in one. Also Air Canada costs alot more and one of their better pilots almost crashed into a plane last year almost killing hundreds.
I'm neutral regarding Air Canada but given their problems/bad luck landing in San Francisco I'd avoid that particular destination with them just for my own peace-of-mind. But that's one destination out of dozens/hundreds and not grounds to totally exclude them as an option to go anywhere else. Given their bad luck I'd totally avoid Malaysian for the same reason. Travel is stressful enough, if you can eliminate any more sources of it, you do it.

I don't hate AC (unlike some posters) but I'm definitely not a fanboi either.
I will fly them if they win the "competition" when I'm picking my flights for a trip. They won last time (San Diego) because they 1-had the best schedule for my needs, 2-it's nonstop (anybody else would involve a change, so I'd be arriving later... so that ties in to #1), and 3-the price was about the same as I would have paid on any of Delta, WestJet, United.... all of which would need a change (WestJet doesn't fly San Diego - it was YYZ-LAX then switch to a puddlejumper on one of their partners, or drive 2 hours from LA to SD).

Edited to add (since I forgot to comment on that point): I don't see how the labour dispute has anything to do with this, unless you're suggesting sabotage on the part of the union. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to risk killing people (meaning years in the slammer) for something like that. Although militant unions have done that in the past, and thankfully those thugs DID go to jail:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... e-murders/
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 6th, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7441 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
webshark wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:01 am
That's right. It was not Sunwing's fault, but the ground company Swissport which handles many airlines. It could've easily be another airline's plane they were towing.

The other AC pilot came within seconds of major aviation disaster which would've killed many hundreds of passengers. That was 100% AC problem.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4412 posts
601 upvotes
so the westjet was waiting (at full stop) in front of the gate (not at the gate) and the sunwing was being towed from the gate ?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31952 posts
8265 upvotes
GTHA
lubmar wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 4:29 pm
so the westjet was waiting (at full stop) in front of the gate (not at the gate) and the sunwing was being towed from the gate ?
The Westjet aircraft was stationary and waiting to go to a gate when it was clipped by an empty Sunwing aircraft that was being towed by the airline’s ground handling service (Swissport) back from a gate.
Jan 8, 2012
451 posts
183 upvotes
Williams Lake
Pleased to see the thread title has changed since last night.

I was going to respond then, but I waited til I knew more about what had happened.

More pleased to see no one was hurt in the incident.
Jan 14, 2010
597 posts
152 upvotes
And now tons of flights landing at YYZ are delayed. Know personally of people trying to get home who've had flights cancelled as a result of this.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31952 posts
8265 upvotes
GTHA
The Transportation Safety Board’s investigation into a collision between two planes on the Pearson airport tarmac will examine whether WestJet followed its evacuation protocols.