Sunwing plane clips WestJet plane at Toronto airport, sparking fire

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 1:27 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10514 posts
919 upvotes
Mississauga
I read that the evacuation from the Westjet jet was kind of a clusterf--- as well, as many passengers insisted on taking their carry-on luggage with them, slowing down the evac process.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:58 pm
I read that the evacuation from the Westjet jet was kind of a clusterf--- as well, as many passengers insisted on taking their carry-on luggage with them, slowing down the evac process.
Ya I heard that too in the aftermath.

I can only imagine the mess.

Flight Attendants should have insisted, and Pax should have complied

There is certainly a way to lockdown the plane afterwards and then have Pax return 1 by 1 to their seat accompanied by a Crew Member to get their belongings, and only their belongings

This is however an example of what is wrong with today’s flying Pax, as well as what can eff up an emergency exit when one is on the ground, and terminal in plain view
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1463 posts
516 upvotes
Tokyo
It’s good that folks are able to distinguish between Westjet and SwissPort.

Unlike the whole United (vs Republican Airlines and the airport police) debacles.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4180 posts
584 upvotes
ok so it looks like swissport is in trouble for crushing into westjet , and westjet is in trouble for "problematic" evacuation ... good thing that everybody is ok (probably somebody lost a job)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7350 posts
1772 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:58 pm
We were at the back of a coach one time, when the driver suddenly stopped at the shoulder, with smoke coming from the back. He asked everyone to get off the bus. Many people were trying to take their belongings from the top, from under the seat, etc., and delayed going out. We at the back were yelling at those in the front to get out asap.

Fortunately it turned out it was cooling system issue, and at the end we were told to get back into the coach to wait for another one to come get us. But if there was fire at the back of the bus and we had to get out in a hurry, those in the front taking their time, trying to get their bags from the top or bottom, could've killed those in the back.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4180 posts
584 upvotes
so I heard from somebody that heard from someone that has the "legit info" (yep, a rumor :rolleyes:) ...
... that if the crush point was just 1 or 2 feet to the side , the result could be devastating, also the very cold temperature helped with minimizing the effect ...
Sep 4, 2006
427 posts
72 upvotes
I was on the plane that JUST landed that was supposed to be next at the West Jet gate. We sat on the taxiway for four hours, engine idling (it was below -20C). Our connector to Ottawa was delayed, and finally canceled at 12:30am. WestJet wouldn't try rebooking until next day. They ran out of hotels and told everyone they were on their own. Next day, we find out the earliest they can get us home is Monday. Flew Air Canada. After a couple hours (again) on phone, WJ refused to refund the YYZ-YOW portion. I've claimed the AC flight on my card, still waiting for payment.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4180 posts
584 upvotes
Ground crew to blame for fiery plane collision at Pearson in January, TSB says

" ... The report, released Wednesday, says a ground crew handling the Sunwing aircraft towed the jet backward without what are known as "wing walkers" — members of the crew who make sure the plane's wingtips don't collide with a ground vehicle or another aircraft. ... "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4742396
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30231 posts
5235 upvotes
Ottawa
lubmar wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:48 am
Ground crew to blame for fiery plane collision at Pearson in January, TSB says

" ... The report, released Wednesday, says a ground crew handling the Sunwing aircraft towed the jet backward without what are known as "wing walkers" — members of the crew who make sure the plane's wingtips don't collide with a ground vehicle or another aircraft. ... "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4742396
Ground handling accidents are always ground crew issues. I have no idea why it took 6 months to issue that statement. It was known the minute it happened, it even said, in the initial report " the Sunwing aircraft was under tow when it made contact with the WestJet flight".
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4180 posts
584 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:21 pm
Ground handling accidents are always ground crew issues. I have no idea why it took 6 months to issue that statement. It was known the minute it happened, it even said, in the initial report " the Sunwing aircraft was under tow when it made contact with the WestJet flight".
didn't they (sunwing) need the "ok" from the "tower" to move the plane ? if yes why they got it if another plane was so close in front/next to them ? or maybe they push it so much of the "route" to make a collision ? ... etc. - anybody know the details ?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30231 posts
5235 upvotes
Ottawa
lubmar wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:19 pm
didn't they (sunwing) need the "ok" from the "tower" to move the plane ? if yes why they got it if another plane was so close in front/next to them ? or maybe they push it so much of the route to make a collision ? ... etc. - anybody know the details ?
Yes, all aicraft movement on the ramp is strictly controlled and they get approval from the ground/ramp controllers but, they are supposed to do it safely. The onus is on them to have the requisite personnel to do clearance watch on the wing tips and tail. Very standard operating procedure which, they seemed to have ignored..... "ground crew handling the Sunwing aircraft towed the jet backward without what are known as "wing walkers"" IAW the article.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Feb 14, 2009
792 posts
231 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:19 pm
didn't they (sunwing) need the "ok" from the "tower" to move the plane ? if yes why they got it if another plane was so close in front/next to them ? or maybe they push it so much of the "route" to make a collision ? ... etc. - anybody know the details ?
Go to the source:
http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/a ... 8o0002.asp

In short:

1. Tower has limited (camera, video) view of this corner of airport.
They issued not-informed and non-standard (wrong phraseology) call to start towing.
Partial fault.

2. ground crew (Swissport sub-contractor) has strict rules to ALWAYS have wing-walker
but de-facto applied it only with planes with passengers.
Push-back plane was without passengers and they (Swissport)
did not use wing-walker back there.
Direct fault.

About evacuation -- it took about 3 minutes instead of 90 sec standard.
In a bit more worse situation it could be critical.
Report recalled AirFrance fire in Toronto.

3. WestJet pilots missed one item in fire procedure:
Did not cut APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) so emergency exit
lighting did not illuminated -- it caused some delays in evacuation.
It is a safety concern.

4. Many passengers took carry-on -- causing some delays
on evacuation. Report did not directly blamed these passengers
but I do!

5. Contrary to directives from above, WestJet (and many other airlines)
do not spell out "no carry-on during evacuation" in per-flight safety lecture.
This point is described in safety card.
Airline is partially blamed for this causing evacuation delay.

6. There was initial panic on board among some passengers.
It was a passenger who opened first emergency exit before captain announcement.
Overall crew did good job during evacuation.

Anyway, read the report.
AND LEAVE THE F..KING CARRY-ON DURING EVACUATION!

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12662 posts
2255 upvotes
London
Also,

Ramp/ tower had Westjet's position on ground radar directly behind Sunwing, however did not advise Sunwing ( to wait until Westjet had cleared)

Passenger panicked and opened an over wing exit before being instructed, however engines were still running (bad) .

Flight attendants did not open exits right away as they were waiting for confirmation from the captain that the engines were shut down (in case evacuating passengers went in front of the running engines).

Pilot did not lower flaps to allow any passengers on the wings to be able to slide down to the ground. Passengers on wing had to renter aircraft and use the exit slides edit... flaps were lowered, but passengers in wing did not see arrows pointing to the exit path.....
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 14th, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
tequilla wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:21 pm
Go to the source:
http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/a ... 8o0002.asp

In short:

1. Tower has limited (camera, video) view of this corner of airport.
They issued not-informed and non-standard (wrong phraseology) call to start towing.
Partial fault.

2. ground crew (Swissport sub-contractor) has strict rules to ALWAYS have wing-walker
but de-facto applied it only with planes with passengers.
Push-back plane was without passengers and they (Swissport)
did not use wing-walker back there.
Direct fault.

About evacuation -- it took about 3 minutes instead of 90 sec standard.
In a bit more worse situation it could be critical.
Report recalled AirFrance fire in Toronto.

3. WestJet pilots missed one item in fire procedure:
Did not cut APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) so emergency exit
lighting did not illuminated -- it caused some delays in evacuation.
It is a safety concern.

4. Many passengers took carry-on -- causing some delays
on evacuation. Report did not directly blamed these passengers
but I do!

5. Contrary to directives from above, WestJet (and many other airlines)
do not spell out "no carry-on during evacuation" in per-flight safety lecture.
This point is described in safety card.
Airline is partially blamed for this causing evacuation delay.

6. There was initial panic on board among some passengers.
It was a passenger who opened first emergency exit before captain announcement.
Overall crew did good job during evacuation.

Anyway, read the report.
AND LEAVE THE F..KING CARRY-ON DURING EVACUATION!

Cheers!
All I can say, is EVERYONE was very lucky that the outcome was so good.

As I understood it, the carry on issue, was not just peopld picking up items at their feet (ie purses, knapsacks, laptops)...but because the plane was at the gate having completed it’s flight, people actually got up and began rooting around in the overhead bins for their wheelie bags etc

Total craziness

Lol, guess this makes a good argument for a bit of 1980s gear that was mentioned in another RFD topic this week

Supposedly, if one had a fanny pack with passport, phone, wallet, CCs etc... then one would not be so concerned to leave their valuables behind on the plane, as everything would already be strapped on and one could exit at a moments notice