• Aug 27th, 2007 11:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes

Superstore still selling recalled toys?

I just caught the end of this story on A Channel news/Big Breakfast this morning but a reporter walked into a Superstore in Winnipeg, purchased one of the recalled toys from Mattel at a discounted price. I guess Superstore doesn't really care about the safety of children over making money. Did anyone else see this story?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7743 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I did not see the story and am shocked.

I wonder if the toys they are selling were manufactured before the recalled item's mfg date (April 19, 2007 and July 6, 2007) but are now stuck on shelves because of the recalls.

I am quite certain that larger retailers would never put the public at risk like this. They get an immediate credit from their wholesalers for recalled products so why risk it?
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
They must know about the recall otherwise they wouldn't have just those recalled toys at a discounted price - all signs point to them wanting to make a quick buck, while preying on people's ignorance. I wish I had seen the whole story - I'd imagine the reporter would've tried to contact the manager.

OT: Not sure why this topic has been moved to Parenting - it affects more than just parents... non-parents can buy toys for kids too. I think more people need to be aware of this. :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
gflux wrote: They must know about the recall otherwise they wouldn't have just those recalled toys at a discounted price - all signs point to them wanting to make a quick buck, while preying on people's ignorance. I wish I had seen the whole story - I'd imagine the reporter would've tried to contact the manager.

OT: Not sure why this topic has been moved to Parenting - it affects more than just parents... non-parents can buy toys for kids too. I think more people need to be aware of this. :(
superstore has a ton of things on sale all the time. i doubt it's to make a quick buck, but SOMEONE their should know about it....
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
I don't see how anyone in management could have escaped all the news surrounding this recall. I'm sure they've received notice from Mattel as well - there really no excuse for this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
gflux wrote: I don't see how anyone in management could have escaped all the news surrounding this recall. I'm sure they've received notice from Mattel as well - there really no excuse for this.
you have options - don't buy from them anymore.

on top of that, consumers have to be smarter too...so the onus is on them as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
2009 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
gflux wrote: They must know about the recall otherwise they wouldn't have just those recalled toys at a discounted price - all signs point to them wanting to make a quick buck, while preying on people's ignorance. I wish I had seen the whole story - I'd imagine the reporter would've tried to contact the manager.
When something is recalled, you don't lose the item when you return it. You get a replacement. It doesn't make sense for them to sell to make a quick buck because they would get the products refunded or replaced anyways.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
News reporters aren't the most accurate source. There was a news report in Belleville that someone was selling the Hershey's chocolate that was suppose to go to the dump after the recall.

Turns out the reporter didn't see that it was a "US" product and the stuff was not recalled.

Big article, etc. etc... panic. Retraction printed couple days later.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
24 upvotes
I'm sure management has received the recall notices but when you are relying on teenagers to check out products when given a list they are far less likely to be through KWIM? Our Stupidstore is full of teens that I see wandering and chatting more than working while not being very helpful either. Of course this is just my experience.
Oct 6, 2006
98 posts
Wal-Mart is doing the same thing.

I walked in there last week, and a TON of the recalled toys have a new "special" price.

Ridiculous. :(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
How much are they being discounted?

I think the recall said that you'll get a voucher for the "value" of the toy, to be used for another toy. Hmm... buy a recalled, discounted toy for $10, return it to Mattel and get a voucher for $20...plus, you help remove dangerous toys from the marketplace...

I assume the voucher is for MSRP. They can't expect people to have kept receipts.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes

If I were you I would also be very careful with the clearance food carts and pink discounted cosmetics/sunscreen section.

A few months ago I bought 2 bottles of salad dressing on a sale cart, the date was covered by the pink sale sticker and I, in good faith thought they were still good- so did not think to peel off the sticker to check the date in the store.

I get home and i was sold a 2 month expired salad dressing.
I only buy stuff where I can see the date on it now, or else leave it.

Also last year bought some tanning cream on sale and it did not work, the color washed off.
I complained to the manufacturer and it turns out it was supposed to be pulled off the shelf as it was an "old" product.
I did get about $30 for my dry-cleaning bill and my money back, and a new product as Loblaws had sold me expired items...

Also 2 weeks ago, wanted to buy some marzipan paste, saw some on the sale cart and out of curiosity peeled the sticker off to check the date and it was 4 months expired. Bought some at another store instead.

Or the Loblaws beside my house that kept the Yves vegetarian items that were expired by 3 months on the shelf, even after I complained twice they were still there 1 month later (add that to my list of do not shop at stores....)

I could go on about my bad experiences with Loblaws and a few other stores, but Loblaws especially seems quite bad.

Do not buy anything that had been pink stickered if u can not read the date.
And if there is no date and it is a clearance cosmetics, it is probably old/expired.

Also Shoppers, in their clearance area sells expired creams and sunscreens.
I have found 5 at least this year.

I always check the date on stuff and also the seals on all items as many people open them and put products back.... :o
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
These large retailers (walmart and Loblaws) will not be selling recalled toys.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but most often when toys come in, the toy manufacturer actually brings in their own people to help stock up the shelves. How do i know? because i collect toys and at times and more than a few times while I was at walmart their representative was there helping stock the shelves of the newer products. They are usually there to ensure that their products are placed onto the displays with good visibility and to talk to the store manager about how their products are selling.

For Loblaws or walmart, they dont lose money if they have recalled toys in stock. The manufacters will re-imburse them the money and/or fill their orders once the proper goods come in. For a shop to sell recalled items at a lower cost, they will not get the full sales value which will hurt them.

Perhaps the main reason they were selling the toys cheaper was that they were a new batch and in order for them to start moving again, they set lower price points.

These retailers can get in major trouble and lawsuits if they were trying to push toys that were harmful to the public. With the customer with receipt on hand with the product serial #, date of purchase etc. That is sufficient proof to any courts if the products were indeed recalled and unsafe and the retailer trying to make a buck or two.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
Steeve Urkel wrote: If I were you I would also be very careful with the clearance food carts and pink discounted cosmetics/sunscreen section.

A few months ago I bought 2 bottles of salad dressing on a sale cart, the date was covered by the pink sale sticker and I, in good faith thought they were still good- so did not think to peel off the sticker to check the date in the store.

I get home and i was sold a 2 month expired salad dressing.
I only buy stuff where I can see the date on it now, or else leave it.

Also last year bought some tanning cream on sale and it did not work, the color washed off.
I complained to the manufacturer and it turns out it was supposed to be pulled off the shelf as it was an "old" product.
I did get about $30 for my dry-cleaning bill and my money back, and a new product as Loblaws had sold me expired items...

Also 2 weeks ago, wanted to buy some marzipan paste, saw some on the sale cart and out of curiosity peeled the sticker off to check the date and it was 4 months expired. Bought some at another store instead.

Or the Loblaws beside my house that kept the Yves vegetarian items that were expired by 3 months on the shelf, even after I complained twice they were still there 1 month later (add that to my list of do not shop at stores....)

I could go on about my bad experiences with Loblaws and a few other stores, but Loblaws especially seems quite bad.

Do not buy anything that had been pink stickered if u can not read the date.
And if there is no date and it is a clearance cosmetics, it is probably old/expired.

Also Shoppers, in their clearance area sells expired creams and sunscreens.
I have found 5 at least this year.

I always check the date on stuff and also the seals on all items as many people open them and put products back.... :o

Thats the bad mis-conception that all consumers have on some products that are being sold past their 'expiry date'.

Alot of products can still be used and are safe if its past the expiry date for several months.

Certain products such like allergy pills can still work even if they are a couple months past the expiry date, but their potency is not as strong the longer they sit.

COmpanies put expiry dates so that consumers feel safe that they have a certain time frame to use the products which will do what they are suppose to do. Its an estimated time line of how long they will be at 100% effectiveness.

Its not like most products once past the due /expiry date will cause cancer or be poisonous to those that use it.
Mar 24, 2007
628 posts
11 upvotes
PCDawg wrote: Thats the bad mis-conception that all consumers have on some products that are being sold past their 'expiry date'.

Alot of products can still be used and are safe if its past the expiry date for several months.

Certain products such like allergy pills can still work even if they are a couple months past the expiry date, but their potency is not as strong the longer they sit.

COmpanies put expiry dates so that consumers feel safe that they have a certain time frame to use the products which will do what they are suppose to do. Its an estimated time line of how long they will be at 100% effectiveness.

Its not like most products once past the due /expiry date will cause cancer or be poisonous to those that use it.
However, there's something just a little dishonest in selling things past their expiry date for full price. If people are aware that they are buying expired products then I don't care. However, I also find many products at Loblaws long past theit expiry date. I guess they sell them to some poor unsuspecting Joe. Maybe if they had staff actually rotate the stock, this would be less of a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
^

Honestly, I rarely shop at Superstore/loblaws.

Im surprised if they do sell alot of expired products. Im under the impression that they are a mid-level supermarket chain in terms of what they provide to customers. They are a notch below Dominion and Sobeys in terms of quality and pricing, but a step up from No Frills, Food Basics and Price Choppers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)