• Nov 12th, 2017 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14526 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto

Support The Weather Network.

The gist of it is it seems the CRTC wants to turn TWN into a pay package channel taking it off the basic cable roster. Rogers/Bell are behind this no doubt. Who could blame them when watching the weather is more exciting than 95% of their regular programming.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... -91h/88283
32 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
I'm sure TWN can manage fine without being subsidized by others who don't need their service.
Apr 4, 2009
594 posts
73 upvotes
Great to see the CRTC act on the best interests of Robellus

Especially since the new CRTC head is a former Robellus executive
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:06 pm
The gist of it is it seems the CRTC wants to turn TWN into a pay package channel taking it off the basic cable roster. Rogers/Bell are behind this no doubt. Who could blame them when watching the weather is more exciting than 95% of their regular programming.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... -91h/88283
do we really need a channel devoted to weather? Obviously not
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Aug 16, 2009
697 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
kitchensink wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:16 pm
Great to see the CRTC act on the best interests of Robellus

Especially since the new CRTC head is a former Robellus executive
Who's the new chief?
Aug 21, 2008
536 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
People still pay for cable? I found last year the facebook page Ontario Blizard watch was quite a bit more accurate than the weather network and free.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1423 posts
364 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I watch cp24 for all my weather news (on IPTV).
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I turn to GFS and CFS for my weather.
screw them.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
May 8, 2009
1693 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
This is no surprise. I think Robellus have already turned all their channels that you get free on the bunny ears into premium channels, therefore monetizing royalties off those channels on paid TV packages.

For Rogers and Bell, makes little difference, but hurts the profit margin of small satellite TV providers who then pay more of their earnings to the incubents.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
Depending on the day (and the event) we get our Weather info from a variety of sources... including the Weather Network.

Seems a shame if they go the Paid Cable Route vs Basic... cause it was one of the first non mainstream tv stations that began way back when... and I do think it has its purpose, and quite handy to be able to access 24-7

Plus it is educational. I think a lot of folks forget that. A great way to teach kids (and adults) about the world & weather. So a real benefit to keeping it on basic cable, cause not everyone can afford to have Paid Extra Channels Cable...

So at least to me, it looks like a money grab... and another thing we are making inaccessible, taking away, from the under-privileged... we take for granted all the info we can access just cause we have the money to do so. Not everyone can afford to have Internet or Smartphones. Some folks truly have to rely on their tv sets & radios in their homes for a lot of the info they get that the rest of us take for granted.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
The Weather Network is not my choice for my local weather. It takes too long to get to my area. I won't miss it.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Aug 17, 2009
608 posts
296 upvotes
Two words for you: Michelle Mackey. That in itself should be sufficient to keep the TWN :) She looks very similar to non-descript downtown office assistants. Always a pleasure to be around them ...
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:19 pm
Two words for you: Michelle Mackey. That in itself should be sufficient to keep the TWN :) She looks very similar to non-descript downtown office assistants. Always a pleasure to be around them ...
All this and you didn't even provide a pic.. where's that downvote button..
Aug 17, 2009
608 posts
296 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:37 pm
All this and you didn't even provide a pic.. where's that downvote button..
Fine, here's her pic from the TWN:

Not only are they pretty, but they're witty & smart & can take a joke without getting offended. Too bad a sizeable number of them are either in a committed relationship or married. On the other hand, there's no shortage of single crazy women in the big TO...