Support The Weather Network.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 1:35 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
I find Accuweather has a much better set of interfaces (apps, web pages, etc) than TWN. I don't watch TV for weather info. Despite growing up about a block away from The Weather Network's HQ in Oakville, I stopped trying to support them long ago since they didn't seem to be trying to keep up with the competition.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14526 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:56 am
Depending on the day (and the event) we get our Weather info from a variety of sources... including the Weather Network.

Seems a shame if they go the Paid Cable Route vs Basic... cause it was one of the first non mainstream tv stations that began way back when... and I do think it has its purpose, and quite handy to be able to access 24-7

Plus it is educational. I think a lot of folks forget that. A great way to teach kids (and adults) about the world & weather. So a real benefit to keeping it on basic cable, cause not everyone can afford to have Paid Extra Channels Cable...

So at least to me, it looks like a money grab... and another thing we are making inaccessible, taking away, from the under-privileged... we take for granted all the info we can access just cause we have the money to do so. Not everyone can afford to have Internet or Smartphones. Some folks truly have to rely on their tv sets & radios in their homes for a lot of the info they get that the rest of us take for granted.
My point exactly.

Don't forget not everyone is savvy enough to operate a smartphone or navigate a website on a computer. Most people take that for granted but there's an aging population that grew up getting their news on the boob tube and still do. My dad loves watching it and it really dictates whether he goes out for a walk or not seeing how cold it is or if it will rain. Having attractive weather personalities doesn't hurt either.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2947 posts
589 upvotes
What's the point of the weather network? When I get up in the morning, I take a look at my tablet and it gives me the current temperature, the temperature during the day and the temperature at night. It will also tell me if it will be rainy or snowy.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
wal3145 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:14 pm
What's the point of the weather network? When I get up in the morning, I take a look at my tablet and it gives me the current temperature, the temperature during the day and the temperature at night. It will also tell me if it will be rainy or snowy.
Ask question, answer question in same post. Pretty cool when things work out like that.
Oct 9, 2017
20 posts
Mississauga
I love the Weather Network. I watch it as much as I can because I'm a weather nerd. It shouldn't be a premium channel, why should we pay more for what we already get? It's just to make more money for Robber$ and Bhell.

A lot of people rely on TWN, especially small communities and rural communities for up to date weather reports and warnings. The weather network for a lot of communities is the only reliable source for alerts, warnings and reports on their local service. Canada isn't a tropical country with the same weather 24/7, we live in a very large country with a lot of different weather to report.
Like mentioned before, some people don't have internet or don't know how to use it too. Seniors especially rely on TWN.

it should remain on basic, people shouldn't pay 4 or 7 dollars a month for it per month. It's just another way to price gouge people.

I fully expect the weather network to end up a premium channel at some point. It seems like every few years they threaten to do it, so eventually they will.

Thank you Robber$ and Bhell for such great service.
Feb 8, 2015
645 posts
251 upvotes
North York, ON
Gave up on TWN awhile ago as they aren't very accurate...example @ cottage TWN said low would be +2 celcius. Accuweather said low would be -9 celcius. Hit - 9 on the button. Having said that I'm still opposed to moving TWN to a premium tier. Robbers tried the same thing 7? yrs ago and failed.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
OntarioRocks wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:32 am
I love the Weather Network. I watch it as much as I can because I'm a weather nerd. It shouldn't be a premium channel, why should we pay more for what we already get? It's just to make more money for Robber$ and Bhell.

A lot of people rely on TWN, especially small communities and rural communities for up to date weather reports and warnings. The weather network for a lot of communities is the only reliable source for alerts, warnings and reports on their local service. Canada isn't a tropical country with the same weather 24/7, we live in a very large country with a lot of different weather to report.
Like mentioned before, some people don't have internet or don't know how to use it too. Seniors especially rely on TWN.

it should remain on basic, people shouldn't pay 4 or 7 dollars a month for it per month. It's just another way to price gouge people.

I fully expect the weather network to end up a premium channel at some point. It seems like every few years they threaten to do it, so eventually they will.

Thank you Robber$ and Bhell for such great service.
I have been a weather nerd most of my life. That is why I do the weather thread. I have spent much of my life using forecast models. I don't even use the weather network because of my use of these models myself.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:53 am
I have been a weather nerd most of my life. That is why I do the weather thread. I have spent much of my life using forecast models. I don't even use the weather network because of my use of these models myself.
Have you been doing forecasts there in the weather thread? Would be a good way of redirecting traffic from TWN back to RFD. ;)
Jun 5, 2015
871 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Based on the replies there is one thing that’s pretty evident : most people don’t watch this channel - so it makes a lot of sense to drop it from the basic packages ... I don’t have cable so my opinion is unbiased lol
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1415 posts
448 upvotes
Ontario
My gripe with TWN is they string you along for 15 minutes to get the info you want, when it could all be on one (or a few) screen. What's the temperature tomorrow night? Well, after the pollen forecast, and the elaborate charts on other things you will find out!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5540 posts
1362 upvotes
For those of us in the GTA with cable or Fibe TV - 2 minutes of looking at the top right hand corner of CP24 is how I get the weather.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5002 posts
1959 upvotes
Winnipeg
TWN doesn't care much outside of GTA.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 3:08 pm
Have you been doing forecasts there in the weather thread? Would be a good way of redirecting traffic from TWN back to RFD. ;)
Yep! and I have good accuracy too! Many people there have been very satisfied with it. You can ask them!
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
eager beaver wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:18 pm
My gripe with TWN is they string you along for 15 minutes to get the info you want, when it could all be on one (or a few) screen. What's the temperature tomorrow night? Well, after the pollen forecast, and the elaborate charts on other things you will find out!
Watching a whole channel for weather IS lame. Seriously, why sit thee and watch that! You can get all this info in the palm of your hand. It takes seconds to get it from the sites you choose to use.

That channel is no longer relevant.

Will we get 5 cm or 8 cm? Find out after the marine weather report! Blah blah blah!
lol
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Wpegger wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:44 pm
TWN doesn't care much outside of GTA.
Neither does this forum...