Hot Deals

[Surf Internet] Basic Internet 5Mbps $19.99 a month +free installation+free wifi router +freebies+free VPN (GTA/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2019 1:54 pm
[OP]
Feb 18, 2019
41 posts
82 upvotes

Basic Internet 5Mbps $19.99 a month +free installation+free wifi router +freebies+free VPN (GTA/BC)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Surf Internet
Found a good deal for basic Internet - 5Mbps for $19.99 a month +free installation (if you pay for one full year) + free wifi router
If you use your own modem you pay no modem rent.
Last edited by SohSay on Jun 18th, 2019 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
42 replies
Oct 3, 2016
303 posts
431 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
For Ontario, if you have access to it, Fido is still running $32.50 for 12 months of 75 Mbps. If you can justify the extra $12.50 every month, it's so worth it for 15x the speed (and potentially even more. I regularly speed test at 100 Mbps).

https://www.fido.ca/pages/#/internet
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10912 posts
10159 upvotes
Oakville
How long has Surf been around and can anyone vouch for them?
Their pricing/speeds seem to match Rogers area offers, but they say they serve Cogeco areas like Oakville.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3030 posts
1905 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
engineered wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:28 am
How long has Surf been around and can anyone vouch for them?
I've had Surf for a little over 2 years.
They've been excellent. A great value if you don't need blistering fast speeds. No problem doing Netflix, etc.
The free router is pretty bad, but useable.
I wish they'd have service elsewhere in B.C. cause I would sign up other family members
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Mar 24, 2011
95 posts
43 upvotes
Shuswap-Revelstoke
raskal wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:13 pm
I've had Surf for a little over 2 years.

I wish they'd have service elsewhere in B.C. cause I would sign up other family members
It's a little bit more, but I have a colleague who has service from can-com.com in rural BC and he says it's quite good. But caveat emptor: I have not used the service myself.
Jul 10, 2018
3 posts
8 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:32 am
Why would anyone in the GTA want this?
Because most people are paying for internet speeds they don't need.

All the big companies up-sell customers on higher bandwidth deals that most people don't even come close to using. 5 Mbps is fine for HD Netflix, even their 4K UHD stream only requires 25 mbps.

My experience with Surf is they are fine for a wired connection, speed as advertised, but as mentioned their routers aren't great so wifi suffers.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13124 posts
1460 upvotes
Mississauga
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:32 am
Why would anyone in the GTA want this?
Price sensitivity (lower income homes, other hardships, not complex needs)
Jun 30, 2015
26 posts
8 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Be aware of this. It was so lagging and always broken signal. I was using 25 maps plan and barely got 15 mps with most updated devices standing beside router.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10857 posts
13978 upvotes
Montreal
ABrien wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:37 pm
Because most people are paying for internet speeds they don't need.

All the big companies up-sell customers on higher bandwidth deals that most people don't even come close to using. 5 Mbps is fine for HD Netflix, even their 4K UHD stream only requires 25 mbps.

My experience with Surf is they are fine for a wired connection, speed as advertised, but as mentioned their routers aren't great so wifi suffers.
If nothing else is running in background sure but it'll drop to 720p
Jul 10, 2018
3 posts
8 upvotes
stephroll wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 12:53 pm
If nothing else is running in background sure but it'll drop to 720p
Yeah absolutely. I'd only really recommend 5mbps if you are streaming non-HD content and will have max 2 devices connected. People just need to be more aware of how much bandwidth they actually require, the internet companies are banking on people not having a clue.
Last edited by ABrien on Jun 17th, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2210 posts
880 upvotes
Raincouver
Surf is a TPIA so their service relies on Shaw cable here in Vancouver.

I had Surf in the past, cancelled due to poor customer service - billing got messed up and they were also pulling teeth to deal with
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4194 posts
1239 upvotes
That's actually a pretty good deal. That said, my understanding with resellers is that it's ideal if you have an existing internet cable provider (even 30 days) and THEN you swap over so they can use the active line. If you've never had cable internet, then they may have to send a techie out to your place first and Teksavvy, Surf, etc don't have those kind of techs as it's dependent on the major provider (ie: Shaw or Rogers, or whomever) who has all the reason to delay your installation and jerk you around.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: