Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

BC Lower Mainland: TV/Internet15/Phone: $38/month no contract??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
internet 150 coming and they now have tsn and other big channels for TV. not Sportsnet. big leaps though.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
Can some one with their basic TV service comment on picture quality? Is it grainy and heavily compressed?
Banned
Sep 28, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
I have been with surf for many month, using internet 5, its excellent so far. I am really happy with the service and supporting a small business in BC
I used my own SB modem, i just told them when i signed up that i want to use my own modem, and they credited me $59

I will check out their TV and post here ... but i am really happy with these guys!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I have it and the quality is surprisingly decent for what it is. Looks even better if you watch on a mobile or tablet.
turbo_slug wrote: Can some one with their basic TV service comment on picture quality? Is it grainy and heavily compressed?
Beware the RFD Effect
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1005 posts
349 upvotes
BC
Wanted to check their site for any update on the 150 Mbps plan, and noticed that they're currently offering free installation with a 1 year pre-pay (they also say free modem, but based "$39 refundable deposit", it makes me think they meant to say router, which they usually offer anyway...)
https://www.surfinternet.ca/plans.html
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
surf internet now has 150mbps for $59.99 a month. no cap.

can a mod add it to the title?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1356 posts
344 upvotes
Looks like there's free installation and free modem + router if you prepay for a year. Really tired of having to call Telus to renegotiate a new year every 6 months so I may jump on the prepaid service since most people on the thread have had great experience with them.

Edit: hm...so when I go checkout for the one year prepay, it asks for the $126 modem fee on the 150Mbps, but the ad says no modem rental fee? A bit confusing. Or maybe they mean you have to purchase the modem, so there's no rental fee since you'll be buying it.
"Portfolios are like a bar of soap. The more you touch it the smaller it gets" - Preet Banerjee
"You don't have to make it back the way you lost it." - Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2611 posts
2204 upvotes
Canada
ECBomb wrote: Looks like there's free installation and free modem + router if you prepay for a year. Really tired of having to call Telus to renegotiate a new year every 6 months so I may jump on the prepaid service since most people on the thread have had great experience with them.

Edit: hm...so when I go checkout for the one year prepay, it asks for the $126 modem fee on the 150Mbps, but the ad says no modem rental fee? A bit confusing. Or maybe they mean you have to purchase the modem, so there's no rental fee since you'll be buying it.
Could just simply be they haven't updated the website for the promo as of yet? Odd they would give you a free router but no modem... I cant imagine a company stating "no modem rental fee's" instead of just putting the modem price as that would be very deceiving in my opinion. Only logical thing is that it would be a deposit on the modem since you have to return it at the end of contract... its probably one of those combo router/modems.
Apr 11, 2006
826 posts
818 upvotes
Richmond
I switched from Telus to Surf this past Jan and took advantage of that promo. I paid $39 for a modem deposit, and 1 year's worth of internet (12 x $39.99). The modem I got is a cgn2-rog, which has built in crappy WiFi and router capability. I did not get charged extra for it. As a side note, I read you can put the modem into bridge mode and use your own router.

So far so good with the service. The installation was a bit painful as I had to sit at home for half a day waiting for Shaw and Surf guys to come in at different times. The Shaw guy just came in to make sure the cable port was good (took 5 mins), and the Surf guy came in with the modem, connected it to the cable port and made sure I had internet (another 5 min job). My friend later on told me it was actually possible to call Surf and tell them to just send you the modem and you set it up yourself after the Shaw guy comes.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1328 posts
294 upvotes
Kanata
Anyone tried their phone service? wondering how the quality is. My mom's with CIK now and the voice quality has gotten worse recently, plus she is paying much more, am looking to switch her to this provider. Also how well do they coordinate the hand-over with Shaw, as I will only be there for a week to help her set up, can't afford to miss their install date!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1005 posts
349 upvotes
BC
marklin wrote: Anyone tried their phone service? wondering how the quality is. My mom's with CIK now and the voice quality has gotten worse recently, plus she is paying much more, am looking to switch her to this provider. Also how well do they coordinate the hand-over with Shaw, as I will only be there for a week to help her set up, can't afford to miss their install date!
I think the quality is reasonable, though I notice sometimes it takes a couple seconds longer to start ringing when dialing out.
Oct 15, 2015
242 posts
879 upvotes
BC
Does anyone know how Surf compares to Can-Com in terms of service and speed? Hoping someone with experience with both small providers can provide some insight.

I am in the process of moving into a new house and I booked a Surf internet tech already, but then stumbled upon the Can-Com RFD thread after I already paid (there are just way too many Shaw resellers out there to keep track of!!!)

Can-Com sounds good cause they provide modem rental for free and no installation fee, whereas Surf charges you for a modem purchase and installation fee. I went with the Surf Internet 150 plan. Surf's 150 plan is $10 /month cheaper, but Can-Com does provide referral and loyalty bonuses.
Jul 31, 2004
810 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver
Is the IPTV box legal? Or just a generic Android box streaming illegal channels?
May 21, 2017
4 posts
Wasgo wrote: Is the IPTV box legal? Or just a generic Android box streaming illegal channels?
IPTV is legal in Canada, it's just downloading/using the box as a DVR is not.
Jul 31, 2004
810 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver
mwaddmeplz wrote: IPTV is legal in Canada, it's just downloading/using the box as a DVR is not.
Right, but technical loophole aside, is this done with the permission of the copyright holder, or is it just technically not illegal yet?
Sep 15, 2017
4 posts
9 upvotes
Hi,

I work for Surf Internet, and I am very passionate about what we do at Surf. Please I would like to help answer some of the questions which were posted on this thread, and tell you more about us. Again, I am passionate and cannot see these messages without even trying to respond :)

We are passionate about internet services, and we are serious. Our main purpose is to add competition to the market because having only 2 companies offering internet make these incumbents lazy and making lots of money only for their executives and shareholders. When there is no real competitions or voices, the incumbents will not invest in innovations, efficiencies and improvements to reduce their costs, offer us more and better services. They can easily make the money because there is no other option.

At Surf are tying hard to add competition to:
(1) Improve the prices for us, Canadians
(2) improve the technologies and innovations
(3) improve efficiencies to reduce costs

Now, I see people posting about other companies’ services, and i would like to add a few differentiators between us and competitors (BTW: at surf we love competitors because they are helping adding options to all of us).

Differentiators between Surf and other "smaller companies":
1. During installation, we send out technicians to install the internet at your home - Our technician installs the modem and setup the WIFI and check the line to make sure all is working, doing speed tests …etc.

2. If there is an issue (and trust me, these can happen), we diagnose over the phone first, but if we cannot find the root cause, then we again dispatch a technician to diagnose it at your home, to see what is the issue (could be from WIFI, modem, cable line, spliter or connector, node …etc).

3. We are located specifically in Richmond office (near Queensboro Bridge specifically to be in central location in lower mainland - this way when we dispatch our cars, we don’t have to drive a lot — BTW: we use small cars to reduce gas and emission (we have 1 hybrid car too :) )

4. We develop our own technologies for TV and Phone. Our TV services, and apps are fully developed by our engineers here in Canada (it still have a few glitches, but we are improving and will get there and add services which no one else has).

Finally, again, our purpose is to add competition. Please do not be afraid to ask your current internet provider, tell them Surf Internet is selling the services for X price, and get them to match it. This way, we all work harder, improve and innovate to gain your business.

thanks,
Apr 7, 2012
4 posts
4 upvotes
SURREY
I am thinking of changing my internet provider to surfinternet but want to buy my own decent cable modem as i will be using internet+phone onlybut does anyone know all cable modem are good with surfinternet or need to buy a specific modem or dueal cable modem router and if someone can guide which latest modem i cab buy ... thks
Oct 17, 2020
2 posts
Currently with shaw 300, contract expiring soon. Looking for better options for next contact. In postal code areas V3L. Please pm with offers