• Oct 19th, 2016 3:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5328 posts
927 upvotes

Surprising items sold at "regular" stores

What are some surprising items you've found that really shouldn't be part of a particular store's inventory?

TIF, Best Buy carries $400 Montblanc meisterstuck wallets.

London Drugs carries a sous vide... that's also a slow cooker.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8507 upvotes
GTHA
rf134a wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 4:45 pm
What are some surprising items you've found that really shouldn't be part of a particular store's inventory?

Are these wallets drop shipped from the manufacturer since they can be purchased online only?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2798 posts
1382 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 7:05 pm
rf134a wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 4:45 pm

Are these wallets drop shipped from the manufacturer since they can be purchased online only?
It's a marketplace seller listing those wallets. It's the equivalent of Amazon's marketplace. Pretty much the survival strategy for many big retailers including Sears.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5186 posts
5081 upvotes
Vancouver
It looks to me like jomashop.com is one of BestBuy.ca's suppliers. Looking at Tissot automatics as an example, Best Buy's prices for each model are exactly the same as what jomashop.com shows, only Best Buy has converted them to CAD and then marked them all up by exactly 33%. Even that Montblanc wallet is sold at jomashop.

I wonder how many Canadians have ordered this jomashop.com from Best Buy and paid the big premium, which Best Buy of course advertises as "Save $$$ sale ends December 31 2024"
Last edited by Kiraly on Oct 17th, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4126 posts
741 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Maybe, but those are sold by a third party vendor on Best Buy... Best Buy Canada is copying Best Buy US, which followed in the footsteps of other retailers like Walmart and Amazon in letting third party sellers use their platform to list and sell items.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2798 posts
1382 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 7:17 pm
I wonder how many Canadians have ordered this jomashop.com from Best Buy and paid the big premium, which Best Buy of course advertises as "Save $$$ sale ends December 31 2024"
Probably not that many.

Best Buy makes it clear on the product page and shopping cart:

• Sold and shipped by [Vendor] Seller's shipping policy
  • These items can't be returned to Best Buy Stores. Return policy
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12113 posts
3087 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you consider "Costco" a regular store? They sell some pretty high end items sometimes

example...Patek watches have been seen in US costcos

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/attenti ... 65473.html
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20233 posts
4180 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Groceries in a drug store.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
22582 posts
8298 upvotes
NCIX lists the weirdest things in their supplier feeds.
Source:I bought a bunch of weird things from their supplier feeds.

Also *points in the general direction of Amazon*
In the US I once received an order containing a hard drive and a container of ice cream.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4485 posts
561 upvotes
Ottawa
I once saw "personal massage tools" being sold at a dollar store.

In some states in the US, you can't sell a sexual stimulation massage tool by calling it a d----, v-------, etc. so they'll use more "medical" sounding terms for what it is. I'm guessing what they bought it on overstock and didn't realize what it was.
Aug 4, 2012
283 posts
175 upvotes
Cambridge
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 12:37 pm

In some states in the US, you can't sell a sexual stimulation massage tool by calling it a d----, v-------, etc. so they'll use more "medical" sounding terms for what it is. I'm guessing what they bought it on overstock and didn't realize what it was.
I wouldn't be so sure, you can buy condoms and other sex-related stuff at Dollarama depending on stock, not sure why you wouldn't be able to.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4485 posts
561 upvotes
Ottawa
ThermKitty wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 12:45 pm
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 12:37 pm

I wouldn't be so sure, you can buy condoms and other sex-related stuff at Dollarama depending on stock, not sure why you wouldn't be able to.
It was more how they had it displayed than the fact they sold it at all; it was pretty much near the front of the store, not tucked away near the back. I just found it funny that it really appeared that they didn't really know what it really was.