• Mar 24th, 2014 12:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1100 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga

Surrender the Nexus Card

I applied for my first Nexus card as an Indian citizen and a Canadian PR. With that combination, I was able to to use the red Nexus machines (which don't work half the time) and not the Global Entry machines (because GE isn't available to the citizens of India.)

Now that I have my Canadian citizenship, I went to the enrolment center here at Toronto, and six trips later- I can't use the GE or the Nexus machines. Receipts still show me as a Citizen of India (so does my GOES profile), but the people at the enrolment center here are pretty much at a loss for why I can't use either of those machines. - even though I've taken down my Can passport and now it shows me as a citizen of India with a Canadian passport on GOES.

Anyway, so the question is:
1. Can I surrender my Nexus/GE, and sit for a month and apply again for a "fresh start"? Or will it always go back to my old profile?
2. Will it cause issues with the security clearances?
(I know it's a waste of 50$, but I use it often enough, that it's almost worth it).

And lastly, if I just stop using it for the next 3 years (that I have left before renewal.) -> When it comes to renew, is it a "fresh start" again, or is it just a renewal on the same profile? Because then I guess that may not solve my problem..
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4879 posts
464 upvotes
Victoria
One thing to try is to contact your local MP's office and explain the situation. They have contacts inside of federal departments that can grease wheels and resolve problems.
Not a political sig
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1100 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
Right. But has anyone actually tried surrending their Nexus? Can it even be done?
Apr 18, 2009
848 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
When you apply , GOES will ask you if you ever had a PASSID .

Your fingerprints and iris scan will be tied to that passid.

They will ask a lot of questions as to why you are reapplying.

Are you marked as having dual citizenship in GOES. That might be a reason why the kiosks are declining your Canadian passport for GE